Skip to main content
Topic: C5500 Kodiak RV front springs (Read 1275 times) previous topic - next topic

C5500 Kodiak RV front springs

Yahoo Message Number: 16701
It appears I have a slightly bent spring in the front. The RV came with 7Klb front springs. Searching online, I found there was also an 8K version used. I was thinking of upgrading to those to help with sway. My question to the group was if anyone has the Kodiak motorhome with the 8K front spring option? Maybe the later years?

The 7K spring is option is FK6 as listed on the RPO codes on the visor. I think the 8K code is FM8.

FYI I found the 7k spring part number to be 10372796 (quiet pad version) and the 8K to be 10372795 (also quiet pad).

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks...
Mike
2006 35' Fourwinds Dutchman

Re: C5500 Kodiak RV front springs

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 16702
Before I would put heavier springs on. I would check front axle weight.
I believe you will find that when your MH is fully loaded the front axle
will be 1k below it's rated load. Instead of getting GM OEM springs
checkout Deaver Springs. https://www.deaverspring.com/

That is what most of the Medium Duty Truck owners replace there springs
with.

Stopping the sway is better controlled by anti sway other and other
improvements.

Which model motorhome do you have.

--
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 16703
Sumo springs on the front of my Seneca made the GREATEST improvement of any thing I did to reduce body sway, spring, sway bars shocks - period!

Larry Myers

YEAR | MAKE | MODEL

left

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 16704
I added bilstien shocks first made a noticeable difference but not tremendous. Then added airbags "airlift" brand have to run close to max pressure but that made a world of difference. Was the best 300 bucks spent so far. I think next would be a front sway bar or rear track bar.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 16705
Thanks for all the suggestions. They are all good. I have been toying with this rig for many years and should have given more info. So far, I have Koni shocks front and rear (converted to 19K pin to pin for rear) , the Sumo springs on the front in place of dampeners and aftermarket front and rear sway bars. The motorhome rides 100% better than even brand new 12 years ago. It runs at 73mph on cruise control towing 6,000lbs of trailer with 1 finger on steering wheel pretty much. It still moves with passing trucks and big gusts of winds which I'm not sure will ever go away completely.

Just like the Sumo springs did in ride and bottoming improvement, I was just thinking another 500lb of spring on each side in front might be a tad better. Only because I want to replace them anyways as one is slightly bent.

For Ron, I did stop by Deaver in Cali on a trip a few years ago and had them look at it. If I remember, their new spring for the Kodiac made it a couple to 3" higher in ride height so was not really an option. They suggested and were to quote me on good stock leaf packs they had left over and were going to add a leaf to make it 3 leafs and punch the 3rd leaf so the factor sway bar could be retained. I never got that quote though, so never did anything.

The other area I want to look at more is the rear spring. Mine came with 13.5K springs, I've added the extra leaf option many years back which helped. That brought it to around 15K, but I think it still needs the 19K springs it should have came with. I've followed along with the other discussions on this topic here before and may try that for later this year or next.

Regards...
Mike
2006 Thor, Four Winds, Dutchman 35B

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 16706
Hi,
My VIN build sheet lists these two options installed on my RV.

FM8 AXLE FRONT 8, 000 LB CAPACITY 8,000 LB FRT AXLE(FM8)
FSN SUSPENSION FRONT 8000 LB, TAPERLEAF 8000 LB FRT SUSP(FSN)