Skip to main content
Topic: 6.6L Duramax Engine oil life system - have it or not? (Read 634 times) previous topic - next topic

6.6L Duramax Engine oil life system - have it or not?

Yahoo Message Number: 7006
I'm approaching 15,000 miles on my '05 Super C, and was reading the chassis owners manual to see what maintenance I should be doing.

In reading about the oil change, the manual says that with the 6.6L Duramax, change the oil at 15K unless you have the Engine Oil Life System, and if so check the system.

How the heck do you know if you have this system?? I don't read anything about how do identify that you have it or not.

thanks,

Ken
'05 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
'06 Honda Element toad

Re: 6.6L Duramax Engine oil life system - have it or not?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7007
Our Kodiak's have the oil life system. The icon on IP looks like a Aladdin lamp with a drop of oil coming off the spout just below is a wrench. You should see the icon light up when you first turn on the ignition switch. It is on lower left side of IP
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7010
Thanks Ron,

Easy to find on the dash - checked and I have it too.

How long do you normally run between changes on your rig?

Ken

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 7011
We are only putting 8-9,000 miles on a year. Oil changes for the Kodiak Duramax are 15,000 or one time a year. I fit in the one time a year category. I send in a oil sample to have the oil analyzed. Report say oil looks like 6,000 mile oil.
If I was driving more. I would change oil between 10,000 and 15,000 miles. I use Shell Rottela T.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 7012
Like Ron I also fall into the once a year bracket. I use Vavoline Preminm Blue Heavy Duty DIESEL 15-40W. Filter is PF-2232. Last gal. of oil was on sale for $9.95/gal. Be sure to reset oil life light after you change oil....russ

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 7015
I would probably fall into the once a year change cycle as well. Having run diesel pickups I have a hard time with a 15000 mile oil change. I used to use synthetics in P/Us but they only held 10 qts. The kodiak has capacity of 15. That makes syns pretty expensive. I use Mobile Devac 15/40 and change it at 7500 miles. To much carbon in the oil to go 15k for me. Changing sooner the oil stays cleaner. I also use a Mobile filter. Fwiw.
Denny

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 7018
You will surprised how much less carbon will be in your oil if you block the EGR off. Checked my oil after 6,000 miles this winter. Before leaving on a trip next week. Very little carbon build up in the oil.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 7035
Ron
I have noticed how quickly the oil turns black on my Duramax. I have done some reading about the block off plate. Did you install a finger stick? Does your unit throw a code for low flow on the EGR?
The block off plate is very inexpesive but the finget stick adds another $50 or so.
i like the idea of cleaner oil.
TJ

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 7036
I have a finger stick. I have seen threads on DP where the EGR Valve was unplugged when was cold. Not sure it gave a code or not. My Predator tuner also has a feature to turn off the fault code. But I already had the finger stick when I got the tuner.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 7037
Sounds like it's a stick and a plate! Kind of makes me hungry.
thanks
TJ

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 7038
Dumb question of the morning - what's a finger stick?

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 7039
Finger stick is used to keep the computer happy in that it will not set a code when it sees that the EGR system is not working. A little wiring trick. If you were to just block off the EGR a code would be set.
Denny

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 7044
Besides oil looking/checking better. Having the EGR blocked stops carbon buildup in the intake manifold. I saw a large decrease in black soot on side of motor home back of the exhaust pipe.
If you are going to do the EGR Block, consider rerouting the PCV. This thing puts a coating of oil in the inter-cooler. I had to have inter-cooler replaced under warranty because of the oil build up. If you see a black film around the inter-cooler connections. This is what is causing it.
I will warn anyone considering these upgrades. They can affect your warranty.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 7046
Ron,

Do you have a recommendation where to buy these items? Also, can you comment on the difficulty of the installation?

Charles.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 7048
Coupe of place that I have got parts from.
http://www.allseasondieselperformance.com/
and
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/
Both have instruction on how to do the mods.
Doning the EGR on the Kodiak is much easier. Because all you need to do too get a bolts. Is remove dog house inside cab. Bolt/nuts are right there on passenger side. Finger stick is installed in wire loom per Kennedy's instructions on their site.
I did PCV reroute different than Tony. Got his blocking cap. Then ran a 3/4" hose down to drivers side frame. Used a 3/4" brass PEX fitting to adapt OEM T to new hose. Put a K&N valve cover vent on end of hose. Has worked well for over 3 years.
Lot of info on these mod's on Diesel Place.
Best
Ron Hall