Skip to main content
Topic: Kodiak Service recommendations in Toronto (Read 591 times) previous topic - next topic

Kodiak Service recommendations in Toronto

Yahoo Message Number: 7016
We have to have our Seneca Serviced. Can anyone recommend a shop in Toronto?

Re: Kodiak Service recommendations in Toronto

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7019
What kind of service?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7020
I can't comment about your shop request but would like some advice
about Toronto. I will be going to Gananoque, ON. starting from south of
Detroit in two weeks and was told to take the 407 around Toronto. It
sounds like the way to go. I've been on the 401 many years ago and it
wasn't pretty. Thanks for any input, Chuck

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 7021
As a person that made the east side of Toronto from Detroit area over 1000 times in 40 years. I would recommend that you travel threw Toronto midday or early morning. Maybe late evening would be OK also.
Taking the 407 will cost at least $55 to go about 30 miles. Then does not end on a freeway. According to the 407 site you need a installed transponder to be legal on the 407. http://www5.407etr.com/index.html
Hope Dee can offer more info.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 7023
If you do not have a transponder, you pay an additional charge. We do not use the 407 if we are in the RV towing our Saturn because we think that it may incur double the cost (2 license plates). Although the 407 is fast and usually clear. We will use the 401 around midday. there are slow spots, but usually we can through in reasonably good time. Tune your radio to AM680 for traffic reports every 10 minutes. We have also taken secondary roads north of Toronto such as Major Mackenzie or Bloomington/King Rd as we are based just off Bloomington.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 7024
Chuck,
You would probably save gas by using the 407. I have attached a link to a route I have worked out, using the 407 for the least amount of distance. Going north to Bloomington, would just be adding miles ($). If you reach Toronto at about midday, the 401 could be relatively traffic free, however, listen to the radio as summer is construction season and there could be road work on the 401. Another congestion point is at Ajax if you go through there at 4 pm to 6 pm. If there is a bottle neck there, I would suggest going straight down to Bayly from Whites until you get to Thickson in Whitby. Getting around Toronto is a headache.

http://tinyurl.com/6du5385
and going around the Ajax bottleneck:
http://tinyurl.com/3cjzkwu

Dee

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 7025
I change my own oil, filters and lube job. But when needed on the road I have used truck stops. Mainly Speedco. But they are not in Canada. There are a couple of truck stops in Pickering. Petro and Husky. Give them a call. Tell them you have Medium Duty truck with a diesel engine and need oil and other maintenance done. Should be able to take care of you. They may ask what engine tell them it's a GM Duramax. Get a price before you go.
My recommendation would be stay away from GM dealer unless you need warranty work. Here in the states they want as much as $400 to do a oil, oil filter, fuel filter and lube job done on a Medium Duty truck. 14.5 quart of oil cost $52 plus 10$ filter, $40 for fuel filter and some grease is all that's needed in material. That means dealer is charging $200 plus to do a 2 hour shade tree (me) job.
The most for that job I have paid at a Speedco here in the states $190.
Here in the states some RV parks allow mobile oil service to do this job. I used them one time. It was more than Speedco, but still way less than Stealer.
If you are traveling to the states this year you may want to check out Speedco. Closest to you is Perrysburg, OH.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 7027
Dee, I found this to be a problem when we were in Brantford. Our local Chev dealer (at that time our cars were an Equinox and Tahoe purchased from them) was also a truck dealer but did not have the facilities to handle our Greyhawk Kodiak. I ended up going to a GMC dealer in Woodstock that was also a Workhorse dealer. Of course, I had the 8.1L Vortec gas engine and I knew they would be familiar with it from the WH line of chassis on motorhomes.

I think your best bet would be to check and see which dealers around Toronto (GMC not Chev) handled the TopKick trucks (brother of the Kodiak - and the Kodiak was not sold in Canada) and determine which has a facility that can handle your Seneca.

Don

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 7029
I question if there would be any fuel saving by taking the 407. My map program shows the 407 route would be 10 miles longer. My experiencing with using the 407 have been both good and bad. We have friends that live near Port Hope. When visiting them it was a good way to travel. When going to our boat in Bowmanville and customers in Oshawa. Taking the 407 because the 401 was backup with traffic. Got the same results on the 407.
The 401 at peek traffic time is 18 lanes of parking lot. Those that think they will get away from the 401 at that time end up causing the same parking lot on the 407.
If you think you will be passing this area at either of the peak times. Stop and have a long meal or nap. Then travel. Will save fuel and your nerves.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 7030
Thanks to John, Ron, Don and Dee for the info. Sounds like the 401 is
the way to go. I will try to time my departure so I hopefully will miss
most of the traffic. Chuck