Skip to main content
Topic: Lifeline battery SNAFU.. HELP!!! (Read 837 times) previous topic - next topic

Lifeline battery SNAFU.. HELP!!!

Yahoo Message Number: 15859
So I finally tried to install the LIFELINE batteries as well as the chassis batteries today.

1. The chassis batteries went in with out any issues. Truck starts.. Gauge show good voltage.

2. Not so lucky with the lifeline.

3. After I connected them and secured them, I slid them in

4. 1st came the smell of eggs. Then I noticed smoke. But Not from the batteries

5. I disconnected the batteries and then noticed the bottom large terminal was melted out of the "white-rodgers" 12v DC coil. The terminal that melted out was I think leads from the main chassis batteries.

- I am hoping that the issue is that I knocked that lead lose when I was sliding the tray back in. I ordered a new Coil on amazon, but that one looks to have two large and two small terminal. Where the one in the RV that I fried has only the bottom of the two. unless that's another issue and I broke the other one too and I can't see where it went,..

- timing could not be worse as we are scheduled to hit the road to help the grandparents in FLA. I also can not get the main slide back in as there is no power to anything. So I can't even bring the coach in to the shop.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciate!!! I did attach Pictures.

Thanks!

Carl

Re: Lifeline battery SNAFU.. HELP!!! [3 Attachments]

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 15860
Carl,
Sorry to hear about your situation. It looks like you've got a Seneca, if I'm not mistaken. Ours has a bolt that can be reached from the inside of the RV (under the slide out) that you can turn with a ratchet and extension to bring the slide out in....one turn at a time. That way you can be on the road, and possibly get that problem fixed in FL. I hope this helps. Have a safe journey!

Jay Hitaffer

Re: Lifeline battery SNAFU.. HELP!!! [3 Attachments]

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 15861
Can you retract the slide manually? Should be a manual crank under there somewhere...

Re: Lifeline battery SNAFU.. HELP!!!

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 15862
I know mine has a level that you can manually pump the hydraulic pump.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 15864
Thanks for the help with the slide info! I will use that as a last resort as I have a couple days to fix this before I leave the cold for the warm...

I have narrowed down the cause of the battery snafu to the fact that ( I am an idiot) and I wired the new 6v batteries the same as the old 12v batteries were wired. And that is what caused the Coil to fry and the batteries to smell like eggs.. I now know that they need to be wired differently and I have a fairly good idea from watching a hundred videos on youtube... and diagrams on google.

the question now is have any of you out there switched to 6v batteries in your 07 Seneca and if so do you have a diagram you could send me.

I know now you have to put one neg to the other batteries positive. to form a 12v system. And the main NEG to the empty NEG post.

After that I am wondering what all I can put on that 1 final POS post.

specifically what post should the battery charger (intelli-power) go on? Can it go on that Final POS post with everything else?

On google I can only see what people did with 4 - 6v batteries in sequence with a charger. here are no diagrams for 2.

Thanks again!

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 15865
Charger/convert goes to positive post that has all the other 12 volt wires. Just to confirm, nothing goes on post that connect positive and negative post that connect the 2 batteries together. Making it a 12 volt system.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 15866
that is what I figured/hoped. I am now just a little gun shy. My confidence has been shattered! Thank you!

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 15867
I would suggest you get a voltmeter. Check voltages before you hook up anything.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 15868
To get 12 volts out of two 6 volt batteries connect one positive to the other negative. The positive and negative that are left without connections will provide 12 v.

Luke Pye

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 15875
Thanks for all the help everyone! I was able to get the new coil in yesterday and correctly wired the 2 6v batteries and tested everything I could think to test and all is good! Did not fry anything else but that 12v coil... Hopefully it stays good for the 3000 mile round trip!