Skip to main content
Topic: My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install? (Read 610 times) previous topic - next topic

My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?

Yahoo Message Number: 8902
My 2006 Seneca HD 34ss is getting new shocks. Thank you forum for the help in terms of part numbers.
They ended up being,
8805-1002
8805-1023
both being stem to stem, front and back.
I have air bags but hope i get a little more dampening from the FSD design after the install.

I would like to install these myself. Any hints or tricks? I have replaced shocks on my superduty trucks and it's not to hard. The stem end will be new to me in terms of install.

thanks
bill

Re: My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8905
Bill,

I have a 2007 34SS. I installed the Konis by myself with no problem. I did get the fronts on the rear initially but straightened that out with little problem. The Konis seemed to make a big difference from the stock shocks. I do not have airbags and have often wondered whether they are worth the expense. I will be interested in your thinking after you have both airbags and the Konis. Please let us know the results.

Sherm

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8906
Sherm,
I sure will! I'm planning on doing the install next weekend.

I'm also installing a new inverter and two 4D house batteries. I have removed the big CRT television from the entertainment center and replaced it with a LED lcd 32".

These are projects i never got around to last year. I put almost 9000 miles on the rig last year.

cheers,
bill

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8908
Has anyone installed different shocks on the Jayco Seneca HD 36MS? Just curious of a change. I'm still stock on mine. Without towing a trailer it wanders. While towing, it tracks much better.

CrazyTed

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8913
Ted . . . When you say "different" do you mean different from OEM shocks, or different from Koni shocks? My guess is that a majority of the people who follow this site have changed out their OEM shocks. I went the route of extra springs, trac-bar, stabilizer, etc., but the biggest change for me was the Koni shocks.

I considered adding Bilstein shocks but was talked out of it by my spring & suspension shop. They do many motorhomes (as well as many of Disney's Kodiaks). They said their experience was that the Bilsteins were too firm on sudden impacts. They had to replace so many broken shock mounts on Discovery motorhomes that they quit installing them.

George

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8914
I installed Koni's on my 2008 36MS and have found that I have not have to do a lot of other upgrades. I was the Ginny Pig and in the most of the conversations during the the challenge with what are the correct Koni rears for the 19,500 springs. I have had great success with Koni's, so much where I am very reluctant to do anything else. I'm very satisfied.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8918
I referring to replacing the stock shocks. My 36MS is all stock. It does have the correct rear leaf springs where some earlier models had too light of a spring. I have thought about a steering stabilizer but don't see a way to mount one. Like I said, it rides nice now when towing a trailer but thought about the Koni's to make it better.....

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8919
I added the KONI'S and the rear track bar (Henderson) on our 08 35GS (19, 000 rear springs) . We have over 30,000 pulling the toad and I can drive with one hand on the wheel with no problem.

vbpdtac  wrote:

I referring to replacing the stock shocks. My 36MS is all stock. It does have the correct rear leaf springs where some earlier models had too light of a spring. I have thought about a steering stabilizer but don't see a way to mount one. Like I said, it rides nice now when towing a trailer but thought about the Koni's to make it better.....

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8934

do not get the Bilsteins. I imstalled the Koni shocks and the ride/handling are fantastic.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 8936
What's wrong with Bilsteins? Trailer Life rated them the best for the money a few years ago.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 8940
Keith I think konis are 2 to 1 over any other shock. Ron will probably argue that point. Ha

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 8941
I think performance varies by application.  The consensus here was Koni with reports that the Bilsteins were more generic on valving.  I should have Konis put on much sooner.  It was well worth thr money.  I still go through roads where I cringe when I see a bump and now have zero reason to do so.
Stocks.shocks are shit.  Comp damping only, and probably set up for delivery truck 1/2 loaded wheras a moho is at or very near GVWR all the time.
Keith ;
To:
KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ;
Subject:
Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?
Sent:
Tue, Apr 24, 2012 6:24:04 AM
What's wrong with Bilsteins? Trailer Life rated them the best for the money a few years ago.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 8943
I'm getting a lot of side to side roll if I go over a bump or into a dip on just one side. Its like its top heavy. Have sway bars front n rear and steersafe for front wheels. Could this be from bad shocks?From:  Victor Burns Sender:  KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 15:56:52 -0700 (PDT)To: Kodiak Kodiak; kllasvegas@...ReplyTo:  KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
 Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?
I think performance varies by application.  The consensus here was Koni with reports that the Bilsteins were more generic on valving.  I should have Konis put on much sooner.  It was well worth thr money.  I still go through roads where I cringe when I see a bump and now have zero reason to do so.
 Stocks.shocks are shit.  Comp damping only, and probably set up for delivery truck 1/2 loaded wheras a moho is at or very near GVWR all the time.
Keith ;
To:
KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ;
Subject:
Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?
Sent:
Tue, Apr 24, 2012 6:24:04 AM

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 8947
I think if the truth were known, all these motorhomes are top heavy. We put a set of Koni's and airbags on our Gulfstream 6316  and it was a big improvement. The extra damping cuts down the roll and improves overall handling. The air bags were to help support the 900 lb tongue weight of our race car trailer but even without the trailer, the motorhome handles better with them.  From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of joeeveld@...Sent: April-24-12 4:05 PMTo: Kodiak ChassisSubject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?    I'm getting a lot of side to side roll if I go over a bump or into a dip on just one side. Its like its top heavy. Have sway bars front n rear and steersafe for front wheels. Could this be from bad shocks?From: Victor Burns  Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 15:56:52 -0700 (PDT)To: Kodiak Kodiak; kllasvegas@...ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?    I think performance varies by application. The consensus here was Koni with reports that the Bilsteins were more generic on valving. I should have Konis put on much sooner. It was well worth thr money. I still go through roads where I cringe when I see a bump and now have zero reason to do so. Stocks.shocks are shit. Comp damping only, and probably set up for delivery truck 1/2 loaded wheras a moho is at or very near GVWR all the time.  From: Keith ; To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ; Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install? Sent: Tue, Apr 24, 2012 6:24:04 AM   What's wrong with Bilsteins? Trailer Life rated them the best for the money a few years ago.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 8948
I hadn't seen a lot on the airbags but if that stops the rocking back and forth would be the thing. From:  "Jim Mantle" Sender:  KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 19:15:44 -0700To: ReplyTo:  KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
 Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?
I think if the truth were known, all these motorhomes are top heavy. We put a set of Koni's and airbags on our Gulfstream 6316  and it was a big improvement. The extra damping cuts down the roll and improves overall handling. The air bags were to help support the 900 lb tongue weight of our race car trailer but even without the trailer, the motorhome handles better with them.  From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of joeeveld@...Sent: April-24-12 4:05 PMTo: Kodiak ChassisSubject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?    I'm getting a lot of side to side roll if I go over a bump or into a dip on just one side. Its like its top heavy. Have sway bars front n rear and steersafe for front wheels. Could this be from bad shocks?From: Victor Burns  Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 15:56:52 -0700 (PDT)To: Kodiak Kodiak; kllasvegas@...ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?    I think performance varies by application. The consensus here was Koni with reports that the Bilsteins were more generic on valving. I should have Konis put on much sooner. It was well worth thr money. I still go through roads where I cringe when I see a bump and now have zero reason to do so. Stocks.shocks are shit. Comp damping only, and probably set up for delivery truck 1/2 loaded wheras a moho is at or very near GVWR all the time.  From: Keith ; To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ; Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install? Sent: Tue, Apr 24, 2012 6:24:04 AM   What's wrong with Bilsteins? Trailer Life rated them the best for the money a few years ago.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 8949
I blew a bag in Texas last year and then drove to Tulsa, wow big dif! I carry a spare set of bags with me and swapped the torn one out at the "J" in Tulsa. It was my fault....i was in an incline at the Flying J in Texas and let all the air out of my port bag and then drove off without inflating it. It ripped. Always keep 10psi in them.oops :(b --- On Tue, 4/24/12, joeeveld@...  wrote:From: joeeveld@... Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?To: "Kodiak Chassis" Date: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 7:20 PM
I hadn't seen a lot on the airbags but if that stops the rocking back and forth would be the thing. From:  "Jim Mantle" Sender:  KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 19:15:44 -0700To: ReplyTo:  KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
I think if the truth were known, all these motorhomes are top heavy. We put a set of Koni's and airbags on our Gulfstream 6316  and it was a big improvement. The extra damping cuts down the roll and improves overall handling. The air bags were to help support the 900 lb tongue weight of our race car trailer but even without the trailer, the motorhome handles better with them.  From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
 joeeveld@...Sent: April-24-12 4:05 PMTo: Kodiak ChassisSubject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?    I'm getting a lot of side to side roll if I go over a bump or into a dip on just one side. Its like its top heavy. Have sway bars front n rear and steersafe for front wheels. Could this be from bad shocks?From: Victor Burns  Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 15:56:52 -0700 (PDT)To: Kodiak Kodiak; kllasvegas@...ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?    I think performance varies by application. The consensus here was Koni with reports that the Bilsteins were more generic on valving. I should have Konis put on much sooner. It was well worth thr money. I still go through roads where I cringe when I see a bump and now have zero reason to do so. Stocks.shocks are shit. Comp damping only, and probably set up for delivery truck 1/2 loaded wheras a moho is at or very near GVWR all the time.  From: Keith ; To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ; Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install? Sent: Tue, Apr 24, 2012 6:24:04 AM   What's wrong with Bilsteins? Trailer Life rated them the best for the money a few years ago.

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 8950
So u can say its worth having them?From:  william dotson Sender:  KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 19:39:08 -0700 (PDT)To: ReplyTo:  KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
I blew a bag in Texas last year and then drove to Tulsa, wow big dif! I carry a spare set of bags with me and swapped the torn one out at the "J" in Tulsa. It was my fault....i was in an incline at the Flying J in Texas and let all the air out of my port bag and then drove off without inflating it. It ripped. Always keep 10psi in them.oops :(b --- On Tue, 4/24/12, joeeveld@...  wrote:From: joeeveld@... Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?To: "Kodiak Chassis" Date: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 7:20 PM
I hadn't seen a lot on the airbags but if that stops the rocking back and forth would be the thing. From:  "Jim Mantle"
 Sender:  KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 19:15:44 -0700To: ReplyTo:  KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
I think if the truth were known, all these motorhomes are top heavy. We put a set of Koni's and airbags on our Gulfstream 6316  and it was a big improvement. The extra damping cuts down the roll and improves overall handling. The air bags were to help support the 900 lb tongue weight of our race car trailer but even without the trailer, the motorhome handles better with them.  From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
 joeeveld@...Sent: April-24-12 4:05 PMTo: Kodiak ChassisSubject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?    I'm getting a lot of side to side roll if I go over a bump or into a dip on just one side. Its like its top heavy. Have sway bars front n rear and steersafe for front wheels. Could this be from bad shocks?From: Victor Burns  Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 15:56:52 -0700 (PDT)To: Kodiak Kodiak; kllasvegas@...ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?    I think performance varies by application. The consensus here was Koni with reports that the Bilsteins were more generic on valving. I should have Konis put on much sooner. It was well worth thr money. I still go through roads where I cringe when I see a bump and now have zero reason to do so. Stocks.shocks are shit. Comp damping only, and probably set up for delivery truck 1/2 loaded wheras a moho is at or very near GVWR all the time.  From: Keith ; To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ; Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install? Sent: Tue, Apr 24, 2012 6:24:04 AM   What's wrong with Bilsteins? Trailer Life rated them the best for the money a few years ago.

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 8951
If you have a toad or trailer, yes! Some like the "Super Spring" option? I have a 2006 34ss with only the 15,000 leaf springs and the newer ones have 19,000 pound springs?.b --- On Tue, 4/24/12, joeeveld@...  wrote:From: joeeveld@... Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?To: "Kodiak Chassis" Date: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 7:41 PM
So u can say its worth having them?From:  william dotson Sender:  KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 19:39:08 -0700 (PDT)To: ReplyTo:  KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
I blew a bag in Texas last year and then drove to Tulsa, wow big dif! I carry a spare set of bags with me and swapped the torn one out at the "J" in Tulsa. It was my fault....i was in an incline at the Flying J in Texas and let all the air out of my port bag and then drove off without inflating it. It ripped. Always keep 10psi in them.oops :(b--- On Tue, 4/24/12, joeeveld@...  wrote:From: joeeveld@... Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?To: "Kodiak Chassis" Date: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 7:20 PM
I hadn't seen a lot on the airbags but if that stops the rocking back and forth would be the thing. From:  "Jim Mantle"
 Sender:  KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 19:15:44 -0700To: ReplyTo:  KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
 joeeveld@...Sent: April-24-12 4:05 PMTo: Kodiak ChassisSubject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?    I'm getting a lot of side to side roll if I go over a bump or into a dip on just one side. Its like its top heavy. Have sway bars front n rear and steersafe for front wheels. Could this be from bad shocks?From: Victor Burns  Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 15:56:52 -0700 (PDT)To: Kodiak Kodiak; kllasvegas@...ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install?    I think performance varies by application.
The consensus here was Koni with reports that the Bilsteins were more generic on valving. I should have Konis put on much sooner. It was well worth thr money. I still go through roads where I cringe when I see a bump and now have zero reason to do so. Stocks.shocks are shit. Comp damping only, and probably set up for delivery truck 1/2 loaded wheras a moho is at or very near GVWR all the time.  From: Keith ; To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ; Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] My Koni FSD shocks are here! Install? Sent: Tue, Apr 24, 2012 6:24:04 AM   What's wrong with Bilsteins? Trailer Life rated them the best for the money a few years ago.

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 8953
Not sure I would argue that Koni's are better. But they are more than 2 times as expensive.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 8954
If you have OEM stock shocks they are bad.
Best
Ron Hall