Skip to main content
Topic: Headlights question (Read 647 times) previous topic - next topic

Headlights question

Yahoo Message Number: 10215
I did a search and found that the solution for the dim factory headlights a couple of years ago was adding relays to them to "up" the voltage. Is that still the consensus, or is there something else to resolve it. Now that we enjoy 15 hours of darkness, this headlight thing is a pain in my butt!
Also, what would one expect to pay for the koni shocks? Best source? Any probs with installation? BTW, the front suspension blocks worked great for a while, but some popping is coming back? Anyone else encounter this, and how do you fix it please? Thanks and happy holidays!
Leonard
2005 GS Ultra C Gasser

Re: Headlights question

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10216
I bought a set of HID kits off ebay and bought the plastic star composite lens and installed them took about 1 hr now i can see
or call Strictly HID's / 909-646-0982 they have everything
hid 0323101851.jpg; 1024 x 768 (@76%)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x6-8000K-Xenon-HID-Semi-Sealed-Crystal-Clear-Headlight-Conversion-Kit-/230882334288?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c1a8d650&vxp=mtr

search ebay for similar copy and paste link

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10217
I have not hooked my relays backup. Need to do this. But did connect the grounds with 10 gauge wire to main chassis. When Russ Hill visited my place last summer. We installed the same ground wires. Aligned his headlights to match mine. He reported back that there is a big difference in driving at night. He still plans on installing Silver Stars for additional improvements.
When Silver Stars are added the lights go from 35 to 55 watts. This extra wattage needs at least the grounds.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10218
I installed relays and am happy with the result. You can always go to a brighter bulb later to get even more light output, if desired.
No bulb will be as bright as designed without the proper voltage feeding it.

I installed 4 koni shocks this year. This was the best suspension improvement so far - probably because the original ones had no resistance left in them (40k miles).
Couldn't find a discount on them so I bought them directly from koni online. No problem with the installation per se, but the rubber grommets on the front studs did not fit as well as the factory ones. I called koni and they assured me they were the right ones. Worked fine but I think that for the money, this detail should have been right.

Charles

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10219
On Dec 6, 2012, at 11:50 PM, d lemon  wrote:

I bought a set of HID kits off ebay and bought the plastic star composite lens and installed them took about 1 hr

So this is a drop in replacement without having or re-wire anything? Plug and play so to speak.

Greg

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10220
yes plug and play the harness will plug into your light socket just take the head light out and replace with new one
their are other guys putting relays and rewiring and installing new ground wires ext but i found that these hids are still brighter than the silver star. their are other kits on ebay cheaper try to stay with the 6000k bulbs the higher you go the color will change from white to blue.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 12:22:23 -0500
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Headlights question

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10221
I purchased the Hella H4651 sealed beams, Hella High performance Xenon Blue H4 blubs and H4 heavy duty harness. It is much better than stock and I can actually drive at night. For some reason the brights don't work to great but I can see good on normal.

With this all you have to do is replace the bulbs.

To: kodiakchassisclassc@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, December 7, 2012 1:31:49 PM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Headlights question

yes plug and play the harness will plug into your light socket just take the head light out and replace with new one
their are other guys putting relays and rewiring and installing new ground wires ext but i found that these hids are still brighter than the silver star. their are other kits on ebay cheaper try to stay with the 6000k bulbs the higher you go the color will change from white to blue.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 10222
That still does not resolve the huge voltage drop in the system that a re-wire with relays fixes. I bet your performance would be even better.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

Sent: Friday, December 7, 2012 12:56 PM

I purchased the Hella H4651 sealed beams, Hella High performance Xenon Blue H4 blubs and H4 heavy duty harness. It is much better than stock and I can actually drive at night. For some reason the brights don't work to great but I can see good on normal.

With this all you have to do is replace the bulbs.

Sent: Friday, December 7, 2012 1:31:49 PM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Headlights question

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 10223
Attachments :

I took care of it the easy way, we don't travel at night.Laughing My Ass Off

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Leonard Vdovec
    Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2012 10:41 PM
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Headlights question

I did a search and found that the solution for the dim factory headlights a couple of years ago was adding relays to them to "up" the voltage. Is that still the consensus, or is there something else to resolve it. Now that we enjoy 15 hours of darkness, this headlight thing is a pain in my butt!

Also, what would one expect to pay for the koni shocks? Best source? Any probs with installation? BTW, the front suspension blocks worked great for a while, but some popping is coming back? Anyone else encounter this, and how do you fix it please? Thanks and happy holidays!

Leonard

2005 GS Ultra C Gasser

center
    Express yourself with over 10,000 FREE Email Smileys - click here!

Reply #9
    Yahoo Message Number: 10224
    For some reason that remains unclear, the general only used 18 gauge wire for the grounds in many instances. The headlight circuit is one of them. Simply using a 14 or 12 gauge wire in the ground circuit makes a world of difference. Also when you reground, the closer to the load the better. The ground wire probably runs fifteen ft. to the ground taps on the inside of the frame on the pass side aft of the battery tray. How dumb is that. I rewired with 14 gauge and relays. I picked the power closer as well as the grd. I got light now.
    Denny

Reply #10
    Yahoo Message Number: 10225
    Your low beam/high beam situation may be due to the wires being reversed. The connectors are the same configuration but the 4651 and H4 bulbs have a different pin-out for the 3 circuits - low, high, and ground. Adapter harnesses are made to go from 4651 to H4, or you can relocate the leads in the connector. Found all the information online.

Charles

Reply #11
    Yahoo Message Number: 10226
    The HIDs are somewhat immune to the low voltage issue because they use a ballast that regulates the output to the bulbs. But very low voltage can cause HID problems. How did you handle the DRLs?

Charles

Reply #13
    Yahoo Message Number: 10241
    Currently at night I drive with the help of the strategically placed braille for the visually impaired. I plan on visiting the wiring schematic to figure out the friendliest way to resolve the issue. One thought I have on the matter is if the 19 running lamps that were added to that circuit was the cause of the voltage drop.

I installed a set of four Koni FSD's on my 2007 in May and I purchased them directly through the Koni Website because of their warranty wording and I couldn't find them much cheaper elsewhere. Fronts were $344 for set of 2 and rears were $344 set of 2, $20.64 shipping, total paid was $708.64 and I installed myself, no real problems with the install. Very happy with them.

I do have an intermittent popping sound coming from the front end; what blocks are you talking about?

Reply #15
    Yahoo Message Number: 10243
    The spring blocks that help with most front end clunking. I have a set. If your interested. Email me. 100.00. Easy instal I think

Reply #16
    Yahoo Message Number: 10244
    Pretty sure that the running lights are on a separate protected circuit. The best thing to start with would be to improve the headlight grounds. Replace the wire to a closer ground point with at least 14 gauge wire. You should notice a marked improvement. Next after the grd. would be a higher intensity bulb. After that go the relay route using the heavier gauge wire and a closer power source. There are some good write ups and instructions here on the page. Just know that there is plenty of room for improvements and they have been done and discussed here.
    Denny

Reply #17
    Yahoo Message Number: 10245
    Set of ?

To: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com"
    Sent: Saturday, December 8, 2012 3:25 PM
    Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Headlights question

I have a extra set I can sell u

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #18
    Yahoo Message Number: 10246
    He was referring to "Silencing Blocks" that in some cases stop the popping or slapping noise in the front spring packs. His offer is a good deal.
    Denny

Reply #19
    Yahoo Message Number: 10247
    ah, sometimes it's hard to follow the replies. I have a set of those installed. Until recently, the front end was silent. Now, there is the return of some popping. Nothing like it was, though. Thanks for your help everyone.

Cc: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com"
    Sent: Saturday, December 8, 2012 6:03 PM

He was referring to "Silencing Blocks" that in some cases stop the popping or slapping noise in the front spring packs. His offer is a good deal.
    Denny

On Dec 8, 2012, at 18:14, Leonard Vdovec lvdovec@...> wrote:

Reply #20
    Yahoo Message Number: 10248

OK, and considering the price of the Konis, has anyone tried Bilsteins? Any other option, under $700? Might have to hold off on that one

Sent: Saturday, December 8, 2012 6:05 PM

ah, sometimes it's hard to follow the replies. I have a set of those installed. Until recently, the front end was silent. Now, there is the return of some popping. Nothing like it was, though. Thanks for your help everyone.

Denny

Reply #21
    Yahoo Message Number: 10250
    Koni got better review than Bilsteins. They seem to have been about $1K installed if I remember correctly.

They were worth the money in ride comfort, drivabilty and safety.

Be well,

~
    Victor - KI6IM

Sent: Saturday, December 8, 2012 6:40 PM

OK, and considering the price of the Konis, has anyone tried Bilsteins? Any other option, under $700? Might have to hold off on that one

Denny

Reply #22
    Yahoo Message Number: 10251
    I bought my Koni's from shox.com, were about $170 each a couple of years ago. They were an easy install, had all 4 on in about 1 ½ hours and I don't work fast.
    They are worth the price, improved the handling immensely.

Jim Mantle
    Black Creek, BC
    2005 GS 6316 duramax

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Victor Burns
    Sent: December-09-12 9:51 AM

Koni got better review than Bilsteins. They seem to have been about $1K installed if I remember correctly.

They were worth the money in ride comfort, drivabilty and safety.

Be well,

~
    Victor - KI6IM

center
    To: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com" KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com>
    Sent: Saturday, December 8, 2012 6:40 PM

Cc: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com" KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com>

Denny