Skip to main content
Topic: Elevated Idle Mod (Read 627 times) previous topic - next topic

Elevated Idle Mod

Yahoo Message Number: 10515
My storage location doesn't have power for a trickle charger and I like to start and run the coach about once a month, but just idling doesn't charge that well.
I bought a Kodiak PTO switch from Factory OEM Parts. Installed it in place of one of the blanks and plugged it in to the plug that was there from the factory. Now I just flip the switch and the RPM's jump to 1000. I can push the cruise control set button and it goes to 1200 RPM. And if I want I can then push the cruise resume and it rises to 1700 RPM.
Might even use it to help with the AC in the summer time if I find myself parked on a hot day.
I also use a couple of solar chargers on the dash that seem to help keep the batteries from going completely dead.

Re: Elevated Idle Mod

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10534
Explain that one again please? There is a PTO plug in all set up and it manages the RPM depending on the mode?

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2013 2:49 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Elevated Idle Mod

My storage location doesn't have power for a trickle charger and I like to start and run the coach about once a month, but just idling doesn't charge that well.
I bought a Kodiak PTO switch from Factory OEM Parts. Installed it in place of one of the blanks and plugged it in to the plug that was there from the factory. Now I just flip the switch and the RPM's jump to 1000. I can push the cruise control set button and it goes to 1200 RPM. And if I want I can then push the cruise resume and it rises to 1700 RPM.
Might even use it to help with the AC in the summer time if I find myself parked on a hot day.
I also use a couple of solar chargers on the dash that seem to help keep the batteries from going completely dead.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10538
Sure, The trucks that come with the PTO option, have the dash switch. When it is engaged, it activates the PTO in the tranny and sets the idle to 1000RPM. If you push the cruise set button with the switch on it increases to 1200RPM. And if you want it higher, pushing the cruise resume button sets it to 1700RPM.
I just wanted to speed up the idle to charge the batteries. I bought a twenty dollar switch and plugged it in to the existing factory wiring. Now I can speed up the idle without jamming a stick between the pedal and the drivers seat.
These trucks come with the wiring and programming in place. I didn't add the whole PTO option, just the ability to speed up the idle at the flip of a switch.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10568
So, our kodiaks without the switch for PTO can have the RPM capability by just installing a switch in the PTO position?

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10569
Yes Sir, The factory wiring plug was brown and parked on a plastic tab on the back of the blank where the owners manual says the PTO switch goes.

The only problem I had was the switch didn't fit where the owners manual indicated. The switch has a plastic tab or key and will only fit in the panel with the same keyway. Mine mounted on the top row second from the left.

The amber light on the switch indicating it is engaged also works.

Here is the link for the switch.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Topkick-Kodiak-PTO-Accessory-Switch-94669664-94668673-/230760038458?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ba5ec03a&vxp=mtr

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10570
Thanks for the information - just ordered one for my MH - can think of a few times one might want/need to up the idle.....

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10571
Is there a switch for fog lights? I need one of those too.

Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2013 1:05:19 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Elevated Idle Mod

Yes Sir, The factory wiring plug was brown and parked on a plastic tab on the back of the blank where the owners manual says the PTO switch goes.

The only problem I had was the switch didn't fit where the owners manual indicated. The switch has a plastic tab or key and will only fit in the panel with the same keyway. Mine mounted on the top row second from the left.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Topkick-Kodiak-PTO-Accessory-Switch-94669664-94668673-/230760038458?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35ba5ec03a&vxp=mtr

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 10573
I just ordered one from my my dealer where the coach has been for nearly two weeks now to have the radiator fixed (they say its not leaking) but I am having the failed power steering pump lines replaced.

It was ready for immediate delivery so I will get it installed. Great to know the PTO wiring is already there.

The part was little more from them but no shipping headaches etc.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2013 11:05 AM

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 10705
Somehow stumbled across this thread and it hopefully answers a couple questions and raised another. From what I have gathered to use this feature...
Apparently the cruise control must be in the On position to start with prior to pressing the PTO/RPM-up switch this will bring the idle speed to 1000rpm (i hope)then pressing the Set buttons should bring the idle to 1200 rpm and pressing the Resume/Accelerate switch brings the idle to 1700 rpm, stepping on the brake pedal would cancel the idle raise function I would suppose.

The other question is a Fog light switch needed in the system or just a fuse in the for light spot in the fuse box?
Adding some fog lights is something I would like to do.
Thanks for any help on this issue.
Kev

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 10706

What year is your chassis first stage?
Also you can do the following on LMM
Turn On Key
Floor Fuel Pedal
Press Brake 3 time
Release fuel pedal
Start engine

You are now in high idle mode with no switch.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 10707
I don't know it's a 2004 we just got it and have not used it due to weather it's still in storage till april

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 10708
From the 2004 owners manual.
If your vehicle has this feature, the manual high idle switch is located in the instrument panel switchbank.

This system can be used to increase your engine idle speed whenever the following conditions are met:

The brake pedal is not pressed.
The vehicle speed is below about 5 mph (8 km/h) for vehicles with diesel engines. The vehicle must not be moving and the accelerator must not be pressed for vehicles with gasoline engines.
The manual transmission (if equipped) clutch pedal is not pressed or, the automatic transmission (if equipped) is in NEUTRAL (N) or PARK (P).

The manual high idle feature is activated by pressing the switch on the instrument panel. When the switch is pressed again, or any of the previous conditions are not met, manual high idle will be deactivated.

The manual high idle has been preset at the factory. Your dealer may change the setting to fit your needs.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 10710
My unit is a 2006 with a LLY motor I think.
I did try that setup but it did not work.
I will see if the parameters can be set with a tech-2 tomorrow.
Kev

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 10711
From the 2006 manual.
If the vehicle has this feature, the manual high idle switch is located in the instrument panel switchbank.

This system can be used to increase the engine idle speed whenever the following conditions are met:

• The brake pedal is not pressed.

• The vehicle is at a complete stop for vehicles with diesel engines. The vehicle must not be moving and the accelerator must not be pressed for vehicles with gasoline engines.

• If the vehicle has manual transmission the clutch pedal is not pressed or, if the vehicle has the automatic transmission it is in N (Neutral) or P (Park).

The manual high idle feature is activated by pressing the switch on the instrument panel. When the switch is pressed again, or any of the previous conditions are not met, manual high idle will be deactivated.

The manual high idle has been preset at the factory. Your dealer/retailer may change the setting to fit your needs.
There is a difference in switch panels between 04-05 and 06 and newer.
There are separate locations for High Idle and PTO switches on the 04-05 trucks. On newer models the same location is used for either switch. Are you sure which year your chassis is?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 10713
Yes mine is a 2006 built 4/06 and is the LLY motor
Now with the candi module for the tech2 I get the data correctly.
I have parameters the for PTO but the Elevated Idle Mode does not do anything when using the scanner to engage it and there is not a option to change anything.
I believe either the switch is bad, the amber light is ON whenever the ignition switch is on... AND/OR I need a PTO switch instead...that I think is probable but would like to find out if the switch is different internally between the two part numbers or just the icon on the face. I am frustrated but continue to pursue the issue.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 10714
Mine idle increases by itself if the temp is cold enough and I have the parking brake set.  When it first did it I thought something was wrong.  :)  From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of quadnkevSent: Saturday, February 23, 2013 3:00 PMTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.comSubject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Elevated Idle Mod    Yes mine is a 2006 built 4/06 and is the LLY motorNow with the candi module for the tech2 I get the data correctly.I have parameters the for PTO but the Elevated Idle Mode does not do anything when using the scanner to engage it and there is not a option to change anything.I believe either the switch is bad, the amber light is ON whenever the ignition switch is on... AND/OR I need a PTO switch instead...that I think is probable but would like to find out if the switch is different internally between the two part numbers or just the icon on the face. I am frustrated but continue to pursue the issue. --- In KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com, "ronjhallsr" wrote:>> From the 2006 manual. > If the vehicle has this feature, the manual high idle switch is located in the instrument panel switchbank.> > This system can be used to increase the engine idle speed whenever the following conditions are met:> > • The brake pedal is not pressed. > > • The vehicle is at a complete stop for vehicles with diesel engines. The vehicle must not be moving and the accelerator must not be pressed for vehicles with gasoline engines. > > • If the vehicle has manual transmission the clutch pedal is not pressed or, if the vehicle has the automatic transmission it is in N (Neutral) or P (Park). > > The manual high idle feature is activated by pressing the switch on the instrument panel. When the switch is pressed again, or any of the previous conditions are not met, manual high idle will be deactivated.> > The manual high idle has been preset at the factory. Your dealer/retailer may change the setting to fit your needs.> There is a difference in switch panels between 04-05 and 06 and newer.> There are separate locations for High Idle and PTO switches on the 04-05 trucks. On newer models the same location is used for either switch. Are you sure which year your chassis is?> Best> Ron Hall> > > --- In KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com, "quadnkev" wrote:> >> > > > > > My unit is a 2006 with a LLY motor I think.> > I did try that setup but it did not work.> > I will see if the parameters can be set with a tech-2 tomorrow.> > Kev> > > > --- In KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com, Victor Burns wrote:> > >> > > What year is your chassis first stage?> > > > > > Also you can do the following on LMM> > > > > > Turn On Key> > > Floor Fuel Pedal> > > Press Brake 3 time> > > Release fuel pedal> > > Start engine> > > > > > You are now in high idle mode with no switch.> > > > > > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android> > >> >>

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 10719
Ron,
Thanks for that link, I found the schematics for the switches and they are set up similar with the exception of a diode and resistor turned 180 degrees around, so that does that. Also there is a different location shown for the PTO switch verses the Elevated Idle switch.
I have PTO info and the RPO code reads PTX which means, ENGINE CONTROL POWER TAKE-OFF (PTO), CONTROLS, NOT INSTALLED.... I need the proper switch.
Also it says the PTO option and Elevated Idle feature are "mutually exclusive" I am taking that to mean one or the other can be installed in the vehicle/ecm. I have a PTO switch coming and hope that will be the end of it.
Kev

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 10733
OK finally got this done... I installed the PTO switch, the right one for my RPO code and it works correctly. What started as a dash squeek repair morphed into a "I'll do this swich install while I'm at it thing" well it is done, just hope the squeek is gone too LOL.
So I have a switch for a Fast Idle feature, RPO code UF3 to pass along for the cost of shipping if someone wants it.

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 10738
I think I'd like to use that switch to fill in one of the blanks. Probably have to modify the key to fit in a different spot, but might use it in the future to run something else. I'll send you $25 for it.

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 10741
OK sounds good, the email I use is
send me the money on paypal with your name and address and it will be sent asap.

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 10742
My email for paypal is kevstuder@... and my phone is 503 784 5331
Kev

Sent: Friday, March 1, 2013 11:05 AM

I think I'd like to use that switch to fill in one of the blanks. Probably have to modify the key to fit in a different spot, but might use it in the future to run something else. I'll send you $25 for it.