Skip to main content
Topic: From Kodiak to Embark with travel blog (Read 1236 times) previous topic - next topic

From Kodiak to Embark with travel blog

Yahoo Message Number: 11309
I have been a member here for several years, have not posted much but have learned much from this forum.

We did have a 2007 Seneca and traded it in on a 2012 Embark about 21 months ago and still lurk here on occasion to learn what we can in general. We are now on a seven or eight month trip around the perimeter of the US. My wife does a blog on our trip as it is for her retirement last Oct that we are on this trip. Just in case anyone has some time to kill and likes pictures of different places in the US, I thought I would post the address of the blog here. I hope some will enjoy. http://katvans.blogspot.com/

Thank you

Rich

Re: From Kodiak to Embark with travel blog

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 11313
Great blog! I'm jealous if your road trip! :-)

We're in Va, and driving to Alaska is on my bucket list, along with driving in all 50 states (I thu k I'm up to 45 or so!)

Good luck, and safe travels!

Chester

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 11316
Great blog. What a wonderful trip. Sure wish we could do the same thing. Unfortunately we winter in FLA and that leaves us less than a month for any travels in the rest of the USA. Hopefully the immigration bill will get through the Senate and the House and then we will get an extra month and that will make a huge difference for us. I think someone woke up to the fact that all we do when visiting your country is spend money. :)

Are you visiting the USAF National Museum in Dayton? If you haven't been there it is a "do not miss" item. Fabulous facility and just a ton of air force history. We've been there twice and will go again. On both occasions we stayed at the FMCA campground near Dave Sparke's (only open to FMCA members - no cost for a two day stay) and drove the short distance to the Museum.

I'm going to have to sit DW down in front of the screen and show her what a real RV trip is like. :)

Don

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 11317
Rich
Like your Blog. If you are going to be in the Detroit area. Please contact me. You are welcome to stay in our 4 acre back yard. 50 amp electric, water and dump station. Nice quiet place to stay. We are NW of Detroit. Easy in and out. We are near I 96 between I 275 and US 23.
This offer is extended to all members of the group.
Best
Ron Hall

Help -generator stop and won't start

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 11342
I turned the generator on and had the front air on. It all stopped - I assume I blew a breaker when the air kicked on. Any help with the breaker box for the generator? Wife is HOT! New unit to me and first generator experience

Best,
Steve Phillips
O7 gulfstream endura

Re: Help -generator stop and won't start

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 11343
Do you have more than 1/4 tank of fuel? That is necessary for generator operation.

There are 2 breakers on the control panel on the generator. Try a reset.

Charles
05 Gulfstream Endura

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 11344
Gas or diesel?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 11345
There should be a breaker on the generator as well, go out and reset that one back inside reset all breakers
Check and reset all gfi outlets it should be 2 or 3 of the start the generator again wait a minute or so and then turn A/c back on.

If it is just a matter of loading that should do it , it is a start anyhow.
Try it
Mo

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 11346
I had similar issues last week. I thought it was the Breakers as well. When you say it all stopped are you talking about the generator as well?  Check the connections to the breaker panel. Also there is a freeze sensor on evaporator coil. I believe that mine was freezing.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 11349
Check the oil level.

Connected by Motorola

Douglas Brothers  wrote:

I had similar issues last week. I thought it was the Breakers as well. When you say it all stopped are you talking about the generator as well?  Check the connections to the breaker panel. Also there is a freeze sensor on evaporator coil. I believe that mine was freezing.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 11366
Attachments :

I never really did figure out what caused my problems with my generator. I turned everything off in the coach and checked breakers and resets, fuel levels etc. by the time I got everything check I just decided to try the generator again- it fired right up. Ran it and the air about 20 hours over the next two days. Maybe I was just doing something dumb but it is working now.

REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE GREAT COMMENTS - I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH FROM ALL OF YOU!

HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY WEEK!

Steve Phillips

07 Gulfstream Endura

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of agilityaussie
    Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 2:56 PM
    To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Help -generator stop and won't start

There should be a breaker on the generator as well, go out and reset that one back inside reset all breakers

Check and reset all gfi outlets it should be 2 or 3 of the start the generator again wait a minute or so and then turn A/c back on.

Try it

Mo

Reply #11
    Yahoo Message Number: 11367
    Attachments :

Hi Steve,
      If the genny shutdown due to a fault, there should be a code in memory that you can retrieve which may help going forward. There is a PDF for a 5.5 diesel genny in the files section. Go to section 9 for the procedure to retrieve the codes and what they mean. Not sure if all the codes are the same if you have a gas coach.
      http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/files/      Look for '5.5 Onan Diesel generator service manual

This group is great. I have saved so much time and money due to the generosity of these members. I'm on a few other lists (mostly about dogs/training, etc) but and few ( probably only 2)compare to this one in the caliber of the members and the support.
      Greg
      MN

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Steve Phillips
      Sent: Monday, July 01, 2013 8:01 AM
      Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Help -generator stop and won't start

I never really did figure out what caused my problems with my generator. I turned everything off in the coach and checked breakers and resets, fuel levels etc. by the time I got everything check I just decided to try the generator again- it fired right up. Ran it and the air about 20 hours over the next two days. Maybe I was just doing something dumb but it is working now.

REALLY APPRECIATE ALL THE GREAT COMMENTS - I HAVE LEARNED SO MUCH FROM ALL OF YOU!

HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY WEEK!

Steve Phillips

07 Gulfstream Endura

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of agilityaussie
      Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 2:56 PM
      Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Help -generator stop and won't start

Try it

Mo

Endura table

Reply #12
      Yahoo Message Number: 11371
      Does anybody know a source for a dinette table. My table is warped and the trim is coming off. Looks terrible and needs to be replaced. Thanks

Best,
      Steve Phillips
      07 gulfstream endura

Re: Endura table

Reply #13
      Yahoo Message Number: 11372
      Wish I could help. But several years ago I needed a base for my tire changer pedestal. Drilled 3/8" hole in it for pedestal. Have you tried a search on EBAY. I have seen tables on there.
      Best
      Ron Hall

Re: Endura table

Reply #14
      Yahoo Message Number: 11373
      Try www.factoryrvsurplus.com

Dave

Steve Phillips  wrote:

Does anybody know a source for a dinette table. My table is warped and the trim is coming off. Looks terrible and needs to be replaced. Thanks

Best,
      Steve Phillips
      07 gulfstream endura

Reply #15
      Yahoo Message Number: 11557
      Ron
      Thank you for your generous offer, like many RVers we are always looking for a place to stay for a day or two as the parks and campgrounds are getting expensive.

When we were in South Bend I thought we might get to swing over towards Detroit but after visiting with a few old friends they talked us in to joining them and five other families we hadn't seen in 30 years at their traditional camping event. It was in Pentwater at the state park and since we had never been there we called and as luck would have it got a canceled reservation for four days.

From Pentwater we headed to Sault Ste Marie then Tahquamenon Falls, down to Green Bay, then headed towards Fargo and now a few days to rest up at Abe Lincoln State Park by Bismarck, ND. We are over 9000 miles into our trip and Monday we will continue west.

Ron if you ever find yourself in the high country of AZ I would like to extend the same invitation to you, providing we are home to turn everything on.

If anyone has any suggestions on some must see places to go or things to do please post up. Our route will take us through Montana, upper Idaho, Washington, Oregon and then down the coast. We plan to be back in AZ early Oct, home for a while, then the month of Nov in Parker on the Colorado.

Happy RVing
      Rich

Reply #16
      Yahoo Message Number: 11559
      So much to do. So little time. We spent a lot of time on the west side of the state over the years. Easy to get side tracked.
      Offer is always there. We will be in AZ in March next year. Will have to see what we end up doing.
      Best
      Ron Hall

Reply #17
      Yahoo Message Number: 11561
      i'd like to extend Ron's offer to any and all that may be traveling through or near Billings Montana.

we belong to http://www.boondockerswelcome.com/.

last week we had the pleasure of letting Howard and Linda http://www.rv-dreams-journal.com/2013/07/were-back.html put their jacks down at our place for a few days while they were getting repairs done in billings.

Diane and i have pretty much been on the road since Jan. of 2012 and have come to the conclusion that it's all good.

Rich, if your in the area we still have to move the piano down and the residential fridge to replace the nocold in our haulmark will be delivered on the 7th.

don

Reply #18
      Yahoo Message Number: 11641
      It would be so great if someone would set up a site where travelers could go on and have access to someone's yard as they traveled. To be a member or use someone's yard you would have to provide the service also, etc.....neat.
      Brenday

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note™, an AT&T LTE smartphone

Reply #19
      Yahoo Message Number: 11642
      Exists. But not exactly a web page. It is a "journal/directory" that is kept up to date by users and an editor. Link below. Most of the folks are Escapees.

It is a special BOF - part of the escapees. And the list is very extensive. It contains multiple sorts of information.

1st - Escapees can list their available spots for travelers when they are in the area - and procedures for courteously letting them know you would like to take advantage of the offer!

2nd - Free or very low cost locations are listed in a BOF Directory.  These generally have GPS locator and date when the Boon Dock location was last accessed, checked. This is not your Walmart parking lot.

Also lists "Good Guys" - shops you can count on in a pinch - if you find yourself needing service in the hills of XXXX.

Here is a URL http://www.daysenddirectory.com/   copy and paste that into your browser if you dare!

Kevin
      Jayco Seneca 34 SS 2006

Reply #21
      Yahoo Message Number: 11644
      Thanks. Will look. Hmmm..not sure. ..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note™, an AT&T LTE smartphone