Skip to main content
Topic: Newbie Question (Read 1348 times) previous topic - next topic

Newbie Question

Yahoo Message Number: 12482
Hey Folks,
I am new to the group and currently looking to purchase a Kodiak Chassis Class C motorhome. My question is about towing and tow rating. We drag race and pull a 28ft trailer with loaded weight of about 9000lbs. Do any of you tow that much weight with your motorhome and how does the vehicle perform?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Re: Newbie Question

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 12483
Gross combined is 26k. Most of these MHs without toads will weigh road loaded around 18 to 20k.
Denny

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 12484
Steve,

We have a '05 Gulfstream Endura Max Diesel with a Garage and Liftgate. We tow a rock crawler buggy on an open deck trailer for a total load of 7k +/-. Not sure what our tongue weight is. The MH rides better with a load and has no real issues on hills but a running start helps. We installed a brake controller. Our MH doesn't have a slide, so that helps to cut down on the weight. We have a 10k hitch but if you add 10k to the GVWR you are over the GCVWR. We use the garage to haul tools, parts, pit bike, fuel, etc. We can't tow an enclosed trailer and use the liftgate while the trailer is attached, so we went open deck.

Our previous set up was a 40' enclosed race trailer for two vehicles behind a '06 Ford F550 hauler. The MH is better on smaller roads, state routes and is overall more maneuverable and easy to drive. The big trailer and truck really only liked the interstate.

All this being said, we think a Toterhome might have been a better choice for us. You still have RV comforts and have the option of hauling some serious weight, one, two or three vehicles behind. The MH we can only ever haul one. I've seen one racer park a Polaris RZR on the deck of his toter for a weekend camping trip which is a cool idea.

Best of Luck!

Cora & Erik Jokinen

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 12485
We have a 07 kodiak greyhawk 8.1 liter and tow a crawler on trailer. We are 17k lbs. loaded ready to go and add 7k for trailer/crawler combo. Were at 25k rolling down the road. Added airbags for help with tongue weight and sway.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 12486

You are pushing it, especially if you get a Seneca. Figure from a design aspect the motorhome almost always weighs in at close to GVWR.
I have a 19,500# GVWR chassis Dutchmen with the same 26,000# GCWR on purpose to tow a 6 to 7 # trailer.
I would suggest something like an old Revolution that you can get a good deal on that has a fiifeen thousand pound towing capacity, however you will be over 65 feet and illegal to drive in many states. That particular motorcoaches almost 41 feet long. One of your big issues as you need a 28 foot trailer for your dragster. Where is my off road race cars only 16 feet long.

Victor Burns
KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 12487

You are pushing it, especially if you get a Seneca. Figure from a design aspect the motorhome almost always weighs in at close to GVWR.
I have a 19,500# GVWR chassis Dutchmen with the same 26,000# GCWR on purpose to tow a 6 to 7 # trailer.
I would suggest something like an old Revolution that you can get a good deal on that has a fiifeen thousand pound towing capacity, however you will be over 65 feet and illegal to drive in many states. That particular motorcoaches almost 41 feet long. One of your big issues as you need a 28 foot trailer for your dragster. Where is my off road race cars only 16 feet long.

Victor Burns
KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 12488
Steve,
As others mentioned, some of the units are built close to the GVWR. Look at some of the smaller ones, like mine (GS 6316). It's UVW is a little over 15K. You would have to pack light to keep under the GCWR if you can. I had bought mine with the intention of towing my drag car, but not near as much weight as yours.
A used Renegade unit or similar might be a good option.
Good luck,
Bill

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 12489
I agree with the Renegade suggestion. I tried pulling 4,500 pounds of car on a dolly in the mountains with our diesel Seneca. Probably right at 25,500 total weight. Not a good experience. Made me miss my Cummins powered Class A. Not the Class A, but the Cummins torque.

Skip Laughlin

winscoreonline.com
sportingclaysoftware.com

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 12490

There is a 34 foot homework for sale in San Diego then it's on to 66,000 gross combined sassy, the heaviest duty Freightliner m2 business class, that would be a great option for you. I almost bought it it was under a hundred K
Victor Burns
KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 12491
There was another one that a drag racer is trying to set up in the high desert up near her north of Palm Springs he still has it I looked at 2 weeks ago Victor Burns KI6IM Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen
vburns1@... ;
To:
KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ;
Subject:
Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Newbie Question
Sent:
Thu, Feb 20, 2014 6:03:18 PM

There is a 34 foot homework for sale in San Diego then it's on to 66,000 gross combined sassy, the heaviest duty Freightliner m2 business class, that would be a great option for you. I almost bought it it was under a hundred K Victor Burns KI6IM Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen
stevendawson@... ;
To:
;
Subject:
[KodiakChassisClassC] Newbie Question
Sent:
Thu, Feb 20, 2014 2:31:55 PM

Hey Folks,I am new to the group and currently looking to purchase a Kodiak Chassis Class C motorhome. My question is about towing and tow rating. We drag race and pull a 28ft trailer with loaded weight of about 9000lbs. Do any of you tow that much weight with your motorhome and how does the vehicle perform?Thanks in advanceSteve

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 12493
i have a 2006 seneca on the c5500 kodiak chasis and the person that had it before me had a california permit to pull 10,000 pounds. he was a race car driver so probably had the same set up as you. i did notice that the hole in the hitch receiver was malformed so he took it to the limit i think.

mark

2006 seneca 34ss
--

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 12494
The only way a Seneca could tow 10,000 lbs and stay under the 26k GVCW rating is if the owner filled himself and all his passengers and compartments with helium. :)

Don

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 12495

I do not believe it one bit.
Victor Burns
KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 12496

And I never would have purchased the coach from him either knowing that.
There is a guy on RAT selling a crappy gasser A Class that had a rated tow capacity of 5k#s. He shows it pulling a huge stacker that probably weighs 15k#s. What a bozo, who would want to purchase that heap after he has overloaded it for all those trips.
Victor Burns
KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 12499
i bought the coach from dealer up here in washington. i was going through all of the paperwork in the blue box when i discovered the the permit. don't know if the guy ever pulled 10000 pounds. he did have a 50 amp "buddy" outlet installed on the gen set so i think he ran his race trailer out of that as the generator has over 700 hours on it. come to find out the last section of drive shaft was bent a 1/4 inch which caused some financial issues for me later but don't know if that was because he hit something or pulled too heavy a load. i have worked out pretty much all of the bugs on the rig. dealers always tell you everything they know about what they are selling you know...
--

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 12501
Strange about the permit. I would be interested to see a copy of it?

I would love to have mine rated for $10K towing.

Maybe you could scan it - take a good photo and post it - please send me a copy directly if you can too.

That is fascinating to say the least.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 12:45 PM, Mark Yackley  wrote:

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 12510
All but a handful of units built by Thor near the end of the line for the Kodiak had a GCWR of 26,000 lbs. Thor produced a small number with a 30,000 lb GCWR. Keep in mind that they had to buy a chassis that GM rated at 30k. If memory is working the major upgrade required for 30,000 lbs was the transmission - Allison 2500 vs the 1000 in the units with a 26k GCWR.

Don

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 12511
I think your right Don, my MH is 30,000 lbs GCWR and the only thing I've noticed different is the transmission. Its a 2750? I can't remember the number exactly. Mine even had the 13,000 lb rear springs. Isn't that weird?
Larry

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 12512
That's exactly what GM, Chev and Allison have all told me. The gear ratios are pretty much identical in the 1000 and 2000 series tranys with the primary difference being the parking pawl which in the 1000 is lighter. If you read the "caution" in the owners manual when it references trany overloading, it states, "SUDDEN MOVEMENT COULD OCCUR".

When I had mine in for service I told the tech that I was running over the GCVWR and he said just be sure you use the parking brake, especially when on a grade and I would be fine otherwise.

I know some of our members disagree, but I've had no problem when running at 29,000 GCVW towing my Silverado with the golfcart in the bed.

Dave

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 12513
My recollection is the 1000 model transmission parking pawl is the reason for the rating.

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 12527
Steve,

We pull a 24' Haulmark race trailer, with dragster and tools our trailer is about 7K.

I have a 2005 gulfstream Endura with the Duramax Diesel w/ exhaust brake. It pulls the trailer without any problem and the exhaust brake keeps you at constant speed downhill without hitting the brakes all the time.

It is a must to replace out the stock shocks and install a front sway bar. It is amazing what that will do for the handling!

Steve Kerns
Kutztown, PA

--