Skip to main content
Topic: Air Conditioning (Read 1178 times) previous topic - next topic

Air Conditioning

Yahoo Message Number: 14686
I have a 2006 Gulf Stream Endurance #6316, Chevy Kodiak V8. It only has one air conditioning unit on the roof. We used it first part of June in New Mexico for a long weekend. The last day was pretty hot and the air conditioner could not keep up, ran continuously and seemed to freeze up by mid afternoon. By late afternoon, the sun wasn't directly overhead, so we went outside and sat in shade in front of a fan, with inside air conditioner off to thaw out. Needless to say it was pretty warm for us. Luckily it was not humid.
My question is, can you add another roof air conditioner unit or would the electrical system need major adjustment? Has anyone used one of those portable air conditioner units that stand on the floor? Anyone have any other ideas to keep us cool in hot, humid conditions? We are planning a trip to Florida. I get heat exhaustion fairly easily so, yes, I do need air conditioning. What are your thoughts?

Re: Air Conditioning

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 14687
I have a 2006 Gulf Stream Ultra with one A/C and I live in Florida. I've found that if your A/C is having trouble keeping up, I close off the bedroom in the morning and use the curtain to close off the cab area. Less area to keep cool. I also keep most of the windows covered with silver quilted insulation stuff that can be cut to size. I use the RV almost every weekend and have done ok.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 14688
You might have a clogged outdoor coil or low on Freon to cause a freeze up of the indoor coil. Take the cover off and see if it needs cleaning. Wash the coil opposite the air flow.

TJ Kennedy | Sr. Account Executive Sales | White-Rodgers
Emerson Climate Technologies | 8100 West Florissant Ave. | St. Louis, MO 63136
 T 615-904-6145
C 972-977-4112

How are we doing |White-Rodgers Feedback

Follow us | Facebook| YouTube | Twitter | WRMobile

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 14690
We had a motorhome that had one AC unit as well. What helped us most of all (between the added floor unit AC's and fans), was a good quality dehumidifier. It got rid of the humidity and let the single unit do its job.
Now, here was a larger problem that occurred in Florida. Most of the houses (where we stayed) only had 15amp breakers. Our AC was 16amp and had some trouble staying running in that heat. It's very bad to run anything while being under powered, and we ended up melting every white wire in the breaker box. I could only imagine what damage was being done to the wiring in the houses. So, only run your AC when you know you have adequate power....it can catch fire.
Best of luck!
Jay

Jay Hitaffer
www. WasabiJay.com
International and National
Touring and Recording Artist
Bass Guitar/Keyboards/Vocals

Saints of Rebellion Bassist
www. SaintsofRebellion.com
Geisha Down Bassist
www. GeishaDown.com
Wasabi Brothers Bassist
www. WasabiBrothersBand.com
Spector Bass Endorsement
www. SpectorBass.com
MarkBass Endorsement
www. MarkBass.It
Clayton Custom Picks
www. SteveClayton.com
Secksey Wear Custom Stage Wear
www. SeckseyWear.com
Cold Cock Whiskey Endorsement
www. ColdCockWhiskey.com

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 14691
I've started to see on RVs where people mount the household split units that are separate. That is, the very quiet and small inside unit in the RV, with the nosier fan and condenser mounted on the back. Now I haven't talked to any with them on the RV, but all who use them in their houses love them. They should be better than most RV units.
Just a thought.
Good luck with the humidity and heat.
Jon

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 14692
We have a 2005 Gulf Stream 6316 also. Ours has two air conditioners. The second air unit is in the bedroom above the bed. Do you have a vent or something above your bed? It sounds like the second ac was an option or something. So if there's a whole in your roof, that's a great first step. Sorry I'm not to helpful, but this might be helpful.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 14693
As already mentioned. Make sure fan is on high.
Should not be a problem adding a second AC if RV is 50 amp. My MH has 2 AC's with separate thermostat's.
Front is 13k and rear is 11K. No problems in 90°+ temperature. Even then we use the aluminum quilted stuff on many of the windows and have awning on them. Use a outside cab window cover. Also find that opening a ceiling vent helps to let hot air out of RV.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 14694
We had it on high. It was not humid where we had issues, very dry, arid climate. We had the cab window covered, and a curtain up at the cab, all shades drawn shut, all vents plugged with insulation, silver foil kind covered eleven covered skylight in shower. We have a vent in the bedroom but we are 30 amp unit, not 50 amp. After we shut the air off for an hour or two and the sun started going lower in the sky (say 5-6 o'clock) we turned it on again (high) and it was able to cool off and keep up. I think it was upper 80's, maybe 90 degrees that day. i can't see the other posts while writing this reply, so, the person who has this same model that said they have two air conditioners, I was wondering if you are 30 or 50 amp?

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 14695
I had a similar problem in my first motor home and a friend that was camping with us at the beach a couple weekends ago also had this problem.  I found that if the vents on the unit itself are closed and only running the cold air through the ducting that the unit will freeze.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 14696
Attachments :

Endura's with 2 factory A/C's should all be 50 amp from the factory.
    Greg
    MN

Reply #11
    Yahoo Message Number: 14697
    If unit is charged properly and filter is clean it will not freeze up. I would have a qualified tech check it out.

Reply #12
    Yahoo Message Number: 14698
    50 amp is required for 2 ac's

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

"visitmysitenow@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

We had it on high. It was not humid where we had issues, very dry, arid climate. We had the cab window covered, and a curtain up at the cab, all shades drawn shut, all vents plugged with insulation, silver foil kind covered eleven covered skylight in shower. We have a vent in the bedroom but we are 30 amp unit, not 50 amp. After we shut the air off for an hour or two and the sun started going lower in the sky (say 5-6 o'clock) we turned it on again (high) and it was able to cool off and keep up. I think it was upper 80's, maybe 90 degrees that day. i can't see the other posts while writing this reply, so, the person who has this same model that said they have two air conditioners, I was wondering if you are 30 or 50 amp?

Reply #13
    Yahoo Message Number: 14699
    Yes my unit (6316) has two ac' and has 50 amp service. It has two thermostats. One thermostat for the front ac, and one for the back.
    I bet your right about 50 amp service determining how many ac's you can have, but it also could be the size of the generator also.
    My RV is a diesel. Again, I don't know if this helps. But it might be an option with diesels or something. Good luck with your quest.

Chuck

Reply #14
    Yahoo Message Number: 14700
    My Endura 6340 has two AC's and its a 30-amp service unit. I have no idea why someone would have built it that way. I can only run 1 AC at a time.

Greg

On Monday, July 27, 2015 8:49 PM, "'Greg' tehya.eva@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #15
    Yahoo Message Number: 14705
    I just installed the JTB Power Solution. You guys with two AC's should consider it. I can run my AC's with 2-20 amp outlets. Very easy install too.
    Jay

Jay Hitaffer
    www. WasabiJay.com

Geisha Down Bassist
    www. GeishaDown.com
    Wasabi Brothers Bassist
    Spector Bass Endorsement
    www. SpectorBass.com
    MarkBass Endorsement
    www. MarkBass.It
    Clayton Custom Picks
    www. SteveClayton.com
    www. SeckseyWear.com
    www. ColdCockWhiskey.com

Reply #16
    Yahoo Message Number: 14706
    Interesting I’ll have to check into that. It would help when I’m loading and unloading at home.Thanks Larry  From: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com] Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2015 8:38 AMTo: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.comSubject: Re: [SuperCrvgroup] Re: Air Conditioning    I just installed the JTB Power Solution. You guys with two AC's should consider it. I can run my AC's with 2-20 amp outlets. Very easy install too. JayJay Hitafferwww.WasabiJay.comInternational and NationalTouring and Recording ArtistBass Guitar/Keyboards/VocalsSaints of Rebellion Bassist www.SaintsofRebellion.comGeisha Down Bassistwww.GeishaDown.comWasabi Brothers Bassistwww.WasabiBrothersBand.comSpector Bass Endorsementwww.SpectorBass.comMarkBass Endorsementwww.MarkBass.ItClayton Custom Pickswww.SteveClayton.com Secksey Wear Custom Stage Wearwww.SeckseyWear.comCold Cock Whiskey Endorsementwww.ColdCockWhiskey.comWasabiJay@...On Jul 28, 2015, at 9:46 AM, Greg Brown thechemist_98@... [SuperCrvgroup] <SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com> wrote:   My Endura 6340 has two AC's and its a 30-amp service unit.  I have no idea why someone would have built it that way.  I can only run 1 AC at a time.  Greg    On Monday, July 27, 2015 8:49 PM, "'Greg' tehya.eva@... [SuperCrvgroup]" <SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com> wrote:    Endura’s with 2 factory A/C’s should all be 50 amp from the factory.GregMN From: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.com] Sent: Monday, July 27, 2015 8:12 PMTo: SuperCrvgroup@yahoogroups.comSubject: [SuperCrvgroup] Re: Air Conditioning   We had it on high. It was not humid where we had issues, very dry, arid climate. We had the cab window covered, and a curtain up at the cab, all shades drawn shut, all vents plugged with insulation, silver foil kind covered eleven covered skylight in shower. We have a vent in the bedroom but we are 30 amp unit, not 50 amp. After we shut the air off for an hour or two and the sun started going lower in the sky (say 5-6 o'clock) we turned it on again (high) and it was able to cool off and keep up. I think it was upper 80's, maybe 90 degrees that day. i can't see the other posts while writing this reply, so, the person who has this same model that said they have two air conditioners, I was wondering if you are 30 or 50 amp?  No virus found in this message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.comVersion: 2015.0.6081 / Virus Database: 4392/10325 - Release Date: 07/28/15

Reply #17
    Yahoo Message Number: 14710
    Your 30 amp coach might or should have a load balancer? It's start up of both at the same time that kills it.

I have a problem on mine with 50 amps when I leave both ACs and the electric hot water heater on then turn on GenSet.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Date:Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 8:38 AM
    Subject:Re: [SuperCrvgroup] Re: Air Conditioning

I just installed the JTB Power Solution. You guys with two AC's should consider it. I can run my AC's with 2-20 amp outlets. Very easy install too.
    Jay

Jay Hitaffer
    www. WasabiJay.com

Geisha Down Bassist
    www. GeishaDown.com
    Wasabi Brothers Bassist
    Spector Bass Endorsement
    www. SpectorBass.com
    MarkBass Endorsement
    www. MarkBass.It
    Clayton Custom Picks
    www. SteveClayton.com
    www. SeckseyWear.com
    www. ColdCockWhiskey.com
    WasabiJay@...

Reply #18
    Yahoo Message Number: 14711

In a pinch bring in the slides...less volume and better seals.

Also reflective bubble wrap on windows.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Date:Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 6:11 PM
    Subject:[SuperCrvgroup] Re: Air Conditioning

Reply #19
    Yahoo Message Number: 14712
    Lots of ideas and suggestions to try. I sure appreciate everyone's input. We are thinking of installing another A/C if possible. WasabiJay, The JTB power source you said you put in sounds interesting. I didn't know such a thing exists.
    I'll also pull the cover and make sure the coils, etc are clean. When we had our freeze-up, the A/C compressor still ran, just got warmer and warmer in the RV, as the day got hotter. We shut it off for about an hour+ and then back on again as the sun started going down a bit. The air ran fine, nice and cold again, when we restarted it at that point. It ran all night without a problem. We thought maybe it was just too much for the A/C to keep up with. If I don't have enough amps to run a portable air conditioner with roof top, let alone 2 roof tops, then I probably need to check into getting more power to do so.
    Thanks again for all the ideas.

Reply #20
    Yahoo Message Number: 14728
    We are going to install the JTB Power Source and an additional air conditioner. We'll see how that works out.
    Thanks