Skip to main content
Topic: Chipping (Read 1251 times) previous topic - next topic

Chipping

Yahoo Message Number: 1111
Has anyone considered or actually installed a performance/economy
product such as Edge on the Duramax? I would like to know which firm
and product was installed and what have the results been.

I have been told that if such a product is installed by an authorized
installed (authorized by Chevy or GM) that there is no impact on the
warranty.

Re: Chipping

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 1125
Skihorse

Do your self a big favor, Call edge products in Utah they will most likely tell you that their system may work and may not. Two months ago I followed their directions exactly by the numbers. By the time you drill a hole in your exhaust manifold on the inlet side of the turbo for the EGT, you pipe it run the wiring to the dash and with great anticipation go to plug it in BUT find one plug is real close and the other isn't even on radar.
I called Edge, unconcerned feeling sure there is a jumper for this NOT. Tons of units are on Duramax in pick-ups but they don't test them on Kodiak. Apparently their ROI isn't there.
All I know the engineer was quite calm about it totally unconcerned. Bottom line O'WELL. I gently packed the unit back in the box and sent it back. Bought it at 4wheel parts (great guys) best price for what My research indicated is the best, only problem IT WILL NOT WORK IN THE KODIAK but it will in any other GMC truck in pick-up configuration.
I installed Auto-meter gauges EGT and Trans temp that's all you can do. Short trips, I find to save fuel watch your weight and keep the foot out of it.
Call and talk to Edge, would be interested in what they say. Be sure to tell them Motor Home on a Kodiak chassis. Edge is the best by far, the others chips and controllers was, not worth the trouble to me. How about letting me know what thy say.

Mike

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 1127
I have been told that the Duramax set up in the Kodiak chassis is
different from those in the p/u. Another member is using a tuner from
PPE. I just think these economy and performance products are going
to become real popular as diesel fuel gets to $5.00 (almost here) and
beyond, and it would be nice to find one company that provides good
customer service and easy installation.

Edge is one I will call next week to find out what they recommend and
as I gather more information, I will report here.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 1128
Given I get 7.4 MPG with the 8.1L Vortec (towing) with the direction fuel prices are going I guess it is time for me to at least think about efficiency modifications.

When I read Bagman's comments on RV.net about getting as good as 8.5 to 9 mpg in a Class A with the 8.1 and Banks mods I wonder if I should be considering them as well.

Anyone in the group have any of the Banks products and do they improve MPG?

Don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 1129
I've used Banks in the past for my Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel and it definitely improved mileage and power but it was hard on 5R100 Torqueshift transmission. I saw at least a 2-3 mpg improvement over stock. I'm not sure how it would do on the gas motors but I'm sure it would definitely wake it up.

As of now I'm using a PPE tuner on my Dmax set on the 160 hp tune (rated at the flywheel) and I love it. I have several thousand miles on that tune and I would never go back to stock. Whenever I travel I'm always around 26-28k lbs depending on if it's my boat or Honda Odyssey. Hand calculated using GPS I'm seeing around 11-12 mpg at these weights. As for the power it's like night and day. The steepest grade I pulled with the Honda Odyssey here in California was the Grapevine and my GVW was around 26k. I never fell below 50 and highest my EGT's saw was 1250 at the steepest part and that was only for a minute or two but for the most of the pull I was seeing around 1150 or so. My boost averaged around 15-20 psi during this climb. For anyone considering a tuner PPE should definitely be on that list for the D-max's. Contact Dan at Pacific engineering and I'm sure he'll give you a discounted price. Hope this helps and good luck on your search for better mileage.

Alan

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 1130
Hey Alan,

Is this just a plug and play system, self installed. Approx cost?

Thanx

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 1131
Alan,

What does the installation entail? Looked on net found the PPE tuner, couldn't tell plugs types etc.
I tried to install a Edge and all went fine till I tried to hook-up. One plug was close the other was out of the park.
Edge informed that O-well they don't test them on a Kodiak. Doe PPE guarantee it will work on a Kodiak. That's some great mileage, good EGT sounds great. On the EGT and boost do you have separate gauges or does a monitor comes with the unit? Need info on installation price and where to buy sounds great, if successful may be able to stay out and play a little longer.

Thanks

Mike

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 1132
Mike,

The good thing about the PPE is that it's a tuner and not a module like the edge and Banks system. With the tuner you just plug it into your OBM port inside the cab. The port is located underneath and to the right of the steering wheel. The tuner I have has 4 different levels of tunes which include 45,90,160, and 225 hp at the flywheel. It's not on the fly like Banks or Edge and you would have to switch tunes to try the different levels. I use only one tune and that's the 160hp tune. I've been very happy with this tune and I don't plan on changing unless I go back to the dealership. That's another good thing with the PPE, in 5 minutes you could return it back to stock with no problems.

As for the guarantee, I think that's something you'll have to ask Dan at PPE. I've never heard of PPE tuners not working on any vehicle. There are several people running them on their 5500 Kodak's and install has never been a problem. I however had a problem with Predator not working on my Kodiak but luckily the person I bought it from refunded my money back.  There are no gauges included and they would all have to be installed separately. I bought a 4 gage cluster that goes where the existing transmission gage goes. Since then I installed a new tranny gage, boost gage, and pyrometer gage. If you're interested this could also be purchased from PPE. I'm not affiliated with PPE in any way, I just really believe in their product and would highly recommend it to anyone. The tuner itself is listed at around $600 but Dan gave it to me for $500.

Alan

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 1135
Attachments :

Another question, does the PPE tuner stay plugged into the OBD port or can it be unplugged after programming? Wondering about using the scanguage on the OBD port with the PPE tuner.

Roger

Reply #10
    Yahoo Message Number: 1136
    Attachments :

That's the word I was looking for "OBD", I just guessed and wrote OBM...LOL. To answer your question, yes it is unplugged after you program. The tuner can also be used to clear and read DTC codes. I believe the standard one and up will do this, not the economical.

Alan

Reply #11
      Yahoo Message Number: 1138
      Alan,

Sorry for all the questions, but looking at the PPE installation directions installation looks like it's a little more than plugging into the OBD does anything hookup under the hood or do you wind up with a spare plug? Sorry again but I am really leery about plugs!! from my past experience. PPE boost controller is $329 you must have got gauge cluster from PPE as well Correct?

Thanks for this information
      Mike

Reply #12
      Yahoo Message Number: 1141
      "As of now I'm using a PPE tuner on my Dmax set on the 160 hp tune
      Hand calculated using GPS
      I'm seeing around 11-12 mpg at these weights."

Please explain how you calculate MPG using a GPS.

Reply #13
      Yahoo Message Number: 1142
      Attachments :

It's pretty simple. I use the trip miles from my GPS and the gallons used when I fill up and do the math from there. It's just like using your odometer but instead you're using your GPS for miles. From what I understand GPS units are pretty accurate these days, definitely more accurate then my speedo. Not sure this is the best way but it's the way I do it.

Reply #14
        Yahoo Message Number: 1143
        I have noticed a difference in miles travel between odometer and GPS.
        But have stuck with mileage from odometer even though it usually shows
        lower mpg.

Reply #15
        Yahoo Message Number: 1150
        Alan,

Just received my tuner, I also ordered a BOOST GAUGE HELP!where do you connect the boost gauge? Kind of rushed right now prepping for trip out west , tired of the Florida heat and humidity.

Greatly appreciate help

Mike

Reply #16
        Yahoo Message Number: 1151
        Hey guys. I just joined the group and have been receiving the emails for about a week. Obviously, fuel economy has become more of an issue. Can someone please elaborate on the PPE tuner and Boost gauge.

Thanks.

Jay

Reply #18
        Yahoo Message Number: 1153
        I installed a program from motorvation in my 8.1 Endura this week. I
        will post the results after my trip this weekend.

New Member.....question for you Jayco owners

Reply #19
        Yahoo Message Number: 1269
        I have had my coach - 35GS for about a year. I have not gone on any long trips since last June so I have a tough time gauging the fuel efficiency. I just purchased a 99 Jeep Wrangler and on my first trip (went to Port Aransas and had a great time!) I got a meager 7.6 mpg. I did not go any faster than 60 and I was not driving into any wind (and I was intentionally easy on the accelerator). I have seen talk of 11-12 mpg on this group, I have not seen anything near that with or without a toad. Ideas? With diesel at 4.65/gal I am up for anything. Oh and I did run the generator for about 10 hours during my 341 mile trip.
        Thanks.

Jay

Re: New Member.....question for you Jayco owners

Reply #20
        Yahoo Message Number: 1270
        7.5 is about all I get with a Seneca, 20 ft trailer with atv's, 60 mph or 75 mph.