Skip to main content
Topic: Electronic exhaust restrictor (Read 756 times) previous topic - next topic

Electronic exhaust restrictor

Yahoo Message Number: 2378
Does this system work appreciabley? I mean is it effective?
I understand that it works through the tubo. I beleive the turbo has variable vanes in the exhaust inlet and that my explain how it can restrict the exhaust but just wondered how well it performs.
Inspector

Re: Electronic exhaust restrictor

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2380
Does your Kodiak have the exhaust brake option?

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2382
Yes it does. It is a function of the turbo. You have to be in a gear that will not allow the RPM to surpass the engine limits.
Inspector

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2009 2:06:44 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Electronic exhaust restrictor

Does your Kodiak have the exhaust brake option?

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 2386
My 05 (LLY) 35GS has the exhaust brake. It is just behind the exhaust collector (roughly below the passager seat) and is air operated by a air compressor and tank located at the driver's side step.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 2388
If you check your RPO codes on the sticker behind the drivers sun visor, you will find a code that corresponds with the electronic exhaust restrictor. Look for K40.
Also if you have the code MBT your transmission has Allison Transynde fluid installed at the factory. This is a good thing as it has longer change intervals and is Synthetic.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2009 2:48:03 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Electronic exhaust restrictor

My 05 (LLY) 35GS has the exhaust brake. It is just behind the exhaust collector (roughly below the passager seat) and is air operated by a air compressor and tank located at the driver's side step.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 2419
We do and I love it, talk about save the brakes. When you practice with it it's a lower gear, that you can control with the accelerator pedal. Grades I-70 in Colorado west of Denver hardly touched the brakes.
One of the benefits of a diesel.

Mike

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 2421
Mine has it also................. heading to Col & Utah so have to get
better at knowing how to use it correctly, don't want to blow out the
transmission
so it seems when it kicks in.!!
Gary

Mike & Karen Swann wrote:

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 2422
Our Journey and Ambassador were diesels with and each had an exhaust brake. Neither would over rev since the transmission would slip up a gear before allowing it to do that.

It is one of the few things I miss now that we have a gasser (of course, having the noise in the back was also great and that is the other major change - lots of noise up front).

When the exhaust brake kicked in (and I drove with it on all the time so rarely used the service brakes much) the fuel supply was cut so you saved on fuel. The CAT C7 would allow the engine to rev much higher than the Cummins ISC and I liked it a bit more. The Cummins had much more torque though and that was good for the extra weight of the larger Ambassador - but they were both great with respect to the power train.

Don

On 31-Mar-09, at 11:49 AM, Gary Myers wrote: