Skip to main content
Topic: Code Reader (Read 1332 times) previous topic - next topic

Code Reader

Yahoo Message Number: 2861
I've had my check engine light come on twice, with no other noticed problems and all fluid levels checked out. Each time I took it into the dealer only to have them say "It was just a fault code we flashed the computer and there are no problems, here's your bill please pay the cashier your $100 thanks for coming in and we'll bring it around front for you." I had the light come on again on about a 800mile trip and then it went off a short time later. This last weekend it came back on again and has stayed on so rather then take it in and waste that money I think I would rather buy my own code reader that hopefully could tell me if it is just a fault and clear the light. What brand and type of code readers are the best to get and where should I look?

Re: Code Reader

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2864
I have a ScanGaugeII http://www.scangauge.com/. Normally, it display information like MPG. But, it will also read and clear codes. I had to clear a code a couple of times while driving when the exhaust connector broke. I am pretty sure others here have it also.

It fits nicely in the dash cubby hole.

David

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2865
I will second the ScanGaugeII. Great tool plus will clear codes. Although it will not read all the codes on a Kodiak. It will clear them.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 2866
I'm late to the party, but I'll third the motion for the ScanGuage II

Take care,
Greg

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 2867
, Greg Gimlick  wrote:
I'm late to the party, but I'll third the motion for the ScanGuage II

Scangauge II --- Me too.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 2871
Alright sounds pretty definitive I ordered mine this morning.

Last night when I backed the RV out to put a little wax on the light was still on. After working down one side I had had enough for one night and pulled it back in its resting spot and noticed the light was not on anymore. Maybe she just wanted a good rub down.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 2872
That suggests a non-critical code. These are codes that are set once, then after X number of start/stop cycles without a reoccurence, the system turn off the MIL (malfunction indicator light or check engine light). I do not know if the GM PCMs and ECMs retain the code after the light is turned off. I do know that the Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep PCMS used to clear the codes ....

Sam

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 9:27:51 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Code Reader

Alright sounds pretty definitive I ordered mine this morning.

Last night when I backed the RV out to put a little wax on the light was still on. After working down one side I had had enough for one night and pulled it back in its resting spot and noticed the light was not on anymore. Maybe she just wanted a good rub down.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 2873
So once the scan gauge tells you what the code is where do you find out what it means?

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 2876
Good question ... the site that Scangauge reccomends does not list the Duramax engine. Buying a factory Service manual could be expensive. A quick web search on Duramax Diagnostic Codes lists several sites, among them is http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax6600.htm unfortunately, the DTC tables are in a subscriber only area and they may not apply to the Kodiak chassis (but probably do).

Sam

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 10:28:40 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Code Reader

So once the scan gauge tells you what the code is where do you find out what it means?

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 2917

Do a google search with the code and plenty of info will be yours.

Roger

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 2918
Some detail on codes. They are by engine year. Someplace I've got a listing of all the codes as of 2007 that I found on the web just after I got my ScanGauge II in 2007. Now, if I could only find that pdf file. :(

2008 http://service.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/2008eparms.html

2007 http://service.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/2007eparms.html

2006 http://service.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/2006eparms.html

2005 http://service.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/2005eparms.html

Don

ps. Still catching up with mail during our stay at Traverse City Mi State Park.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 2919
For some strange reason Yahoo identified this posting as SPAM and I just noticed it and released it. We've had three or four false spam items this past week.
If you send something and it doesn't get sent out, please send me an email so I can check the status.

Tx

Don

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 2922
Thanks Don,
I wanted to find a list I could print out and keep in the RV as out on the road is likely when a code will pop up and I don't generally travel with my laptop because then I might be tempted to get some work done. So looking at the list I have a 2006. I go to the 6.6 but they don't list the Kodiak Chassis, would it be the same as in a silverado, or would the H1 Hummer be more accurate?

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 2923

I suppose if you were on the road, a call to your service center might yield the answer for the code....just a thought.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 2928
Well I received the new scan gauge unit yesterday. Instructiions say simply plug it in. I was taking it down to fill it up with fuel so I plugged it in and nothing the unit won't even come on. Its never that easy, troubleshooting guide says its a blown fuse, I didn't have the time to mess with it to find and check the fuse last night. Is there any other secrets I might be missing? Did you guys just plug yours in and it worked?

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 2929
, "leej211979"  wrote:
Well I received the new scan gauge unit yesterday. Instructiions say simply plug it in. I was taking it down to fill it up with fuel so I plugged it in and nothing the unit won't even come on. Its never that easy,

It could very well be a blown fuse. Many of us have had problems with
the 12V fuse (I believe fuse #8 in the panel in front of passenger).
When that fuse is blown, my scangauge does not work so that would be
worth a check. Simple, see if the cigarette lighter on the jacks
panel works. If not, the fuse is blown.

Bob

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 2931
Hope you got your ScanGaugeII working. Fuse panel is on passenger side of dash. Requires removal of 2 10mm hex head bolts at bottom of dash to remove cover. Location of each fuse is on label on the cover.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 2932
I did get it working, I opened the panel and it was fuse #8 just like Bob said. Replaced it and the scan gauge immediately connected and reported back code P0852, I looked at the list that Don sent me the link to and it said ECM not in park or neutral position. The light turned on while I was driving at highway speeds so it just seemed like it was an error code so I cleared it. Leaving tonight for a short little trip so I'm excited to see how the gauge works and see if the code reappears.
Thanks to all for your help.

Code Reader

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 3313
Hello, I saw a post a few weeks ago that discussed code readers but I cant find it again. The search function does not help. What is the best, affordable code reader for my C5500 Kodiak duramax diesel?.

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 3314
ScanGauge II will read most codes but not all. Will probably read the codes dealer is resetting for $100. Can be used on other vehicles also.
My DiabloSport Predator will also read the codes. But is programed only for my truck.