Skip to main content
Topic: 2010 Models Available?? (Read 1172 times) previous topic - next topic

2010 Models Available??

Yahoo Message Number: 3778
I'm curious about the manufacturing status of Super C models for 2010 (or 2009 inventory?).

Has anyone seen new models from Forest River, Four Winds or Jayco?

Is there a 'final build date' for the Kodiak chassis models announced by any of the manufacturers?

I'm located in the NW Chicago suburbs and don't seem to find any dealers in the area with new or used inventory.

Does anyone have suggestions for finding a Kodiak chassis MH to see and drive without a cross-country trip?

Are there other options to the Kodiak available or on the horizon?

Thanks,

Mike Maifield
2002 36' KSDP, CR-V

Re: 2010 Models Available??

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 3779
When I talked to our dealer (who is one of Jayco's high volume dealers) after the Louisville show, he said he could not order any Senecas as all the available chassis were already spoken for. I've seen some 2010's on line but I don't exactly remember where the dealers were.

Dave Sparke

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 3780
The chassis / coaches are all spoken for....That is why these coaches will be more expensive in due time. In 2008 the RV manufacturers made 140,000 units. In 2009 they have 14,000 - a 90% contraction. As such the dealers will be able to demand premium dollar once all the 'surplus' inventory is worked through. What does this mean? My suspicion is that our late model coaches will demand top resale dollar too.

This is why I ponied up and bought my diesel Kodiak motorhome. The only significant influence in Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) is what you pay for the coach and what you sell it for. In the end nothing else matters to any significance at all. I do not care if diesel in $0.10 or $10.00 a gallon - IT DOES NOT MATTER. What really matters is buying a coach for $150,000 and selling it four years later at $65,000 and taking an $85,000 hit on it which equals a couple thousand a month right off the bat.

I have a nice spreadsheet I put together for managing and understanding TCO on a motorcoach and the biggest factor is purchase price and resale value. The tighter the new market is in the future, the resale market will continue to hold high values.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, March 11, 2010 6:55:38 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] 2010 Models Available??

When I talked to our dealer (who is one of Jayco's high volume dealers) after the Louisville show, he said he could not order any Senecas as all the available chassis were already spoken for. I've seen some 2010's on line but I don't exactly remember where the dealers were.

Dave Sparke

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 3781
Victor Burns wrote:

I have a nice spreadsheet I put together for managing and understanding
TCO on a motorcoach and the biggest factor is purchase price and resale
value.

How about providing the blank spreadsheet for the group as a download?
Sounds like an interesting tool to have, especially if you've already
done the work :-)

Take care,
Greg

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 3783
From the research I have done, if you want a 2010 Jayco on a Kodiak 5500 chassis, it appears that the ONLY place you will get one is from Richardson's RV in either Indiana or California. They purchased all of Jayco's remaining chassis(s) late last year. The final ones are going into production this month . . . better hurry. Not sure how many are going to their Indiana dealer and how many to the California dealer. I had the impression they were all going out west, but I could be wrong.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 3784
From the research I have done, if you want a 2010 Jayco on a Kodiak 5500 chassis, it appears that the ONLY place you will get one is from Richardson's RV in either Indiana or California. They purchased all of Jayco's remaining chassis(s) late last year. The final ones are going into production this month . . . better hurry. Not sure how many are going to their Indiana dealer and how many to the California dealer. I had the impression they were all going out west, but I could be wrong.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 3811
Haven't Jayco, Dutchmen etc. said what they are going to use next? Are they just going to stop this line?

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 3814
I would not be surprised if they are waiting to see exactly what Hino is going to provide (arranged by McCormick Chev which had provided most of the Kodiak units) before committing.

Don

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 3828
When I talked to Jayco yesterday about the tour. The new models were brought up. The comment was Freightliner would be the replacement. But this was not a final statement. More to follow in the coming weeks.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 3829
If that is the case I wonder if FL is going to do a smaller cheaper chassis. The Embark is certainly beyond the price point most Kodiak owners are considering.

I'll check with McCormick to see if they have any more news on the Hino chassis and engine.

I wonder if FTL is going to provide their school bus chassis for MH use?

http://www.freightlinerchassis.com/sbMain.asp?page=C2

Or, maybe their MT55 delivery truck chassis - its specs would seem to fit and it has the Cummins 6.7L.

http://www.freightlinerchassis.com/wvHome.asp

Don

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 3830
I would think they would use a M2 MD chassis with a Mercedes-Benz MBE 900 engine. Should be a good combination. That would keep it a C model. The chassis you show would be more like a Class A. Unless the bus format without the windshield would work.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 3843
I have trouble believing it could be the M2 as that is what the Embark uses and (correct me someone, if I'm wrong) I don't think it has been a runaway hit in the market to this point. I'm not sure even even seen one other than at a show or at Jayco.

Perhaps they have something unseen to this point???

The HP in the ones I mentioned does not exceed the Hino, and I've just been informed that the problem with the Hino is the 260 HP rating of the engine (even though torque is good) and the manufacturers want it uprated to 300 hp - which may not happen.

So the Hino is certainly not a sure thing at this time.

Don

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 3844
Not sure about the chassis but the Embark has the Cummins not the Mercedes. So if the M2 comes with the Mercedes that is not what they are using.

Dave Sparke

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 3845
When I visited the Silver Crown Plant a couple years ago. You could order the Pony Express with either the Kodiak or M2 chassis. There was a smaller model of the M2 chassis than what is being used on the Embark.
Maybe someone is going to modify the school bus chassis to make a Seneca type MH.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 3848
FTL has a family of engine and tranny combos show on its web site for the M2 so it is really impossible to know what Jayco is doing until details slip our or are released.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 3866
Thanks for all the conversation guys. You would think that these big RV manufactures would release some statement that says "fear not, we are coming up with a replacement" and possibly give more details. Have I missed this? Seems some people would move to something else if they don't have confidence that a replacement is coming. This would seem like sales losses for the manufacturers.

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 3867
My conversation with Jayco Friday came with the statement that there will be a replacement.
Gulf Stream already has the Super Nova built on the International chassis. Some nice features. But missing a couple of items. Exhaust Brake and enough horsepower/torque. Not to many complaints from the owners either. They have been out since 2007.
GS does not have a replacement for their gas models. They sold a lot of them.