Skip to main content
Topic: Satellite Dish (Read 412 times) previous topic - next topic

Satellite Dish

Yahoo Message Number: 5327
My dish seems to loose connection after mid-night or so. I thought it may be due falling and had not been cleaned the dome since last summer. I cleaned with a solution of 409. Then I put a coat of liquid wax on the dome.

Does anyone here have a different solution to this problem. Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks

Paul

Re: Satellite Dish

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 5329
Paul, My Seneca has a King Dome that would lose connection sometimes at night. The loss was due to contraction because of night-time cooling down, and a connector not making contact. If you have a King Dome, I can be more specific about my fix, because I think it's a construction error on a circuit board.

George

Re: Satellite Dish

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 5333
George, mine is a Winegard. It could be the same thing for us also. It just happens everyonce in a while.

Paul

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, September 2, 2010 2:16:19 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Satellite Dish

Paul, My Seneca has a King Dome that would lose connection sometimes at night. The loss was due to contraction because of night-time cooling down, and a connector not making contact. If you have a King Dome, I can be more specific about my fix, because I think it's a construction error on a circuit board.

George

Re: Satellite Dish fix

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 5338
Paul, on my King Dome, there are several CAT5 - telephone-type - plug connectors on the circuit boards. One in particular was mounted up-side down, in that the little plastic spring clip that holds the plug in place was on the bottom. Over time, heat and vibration weakened the plastic spring tension so that the plug came loose enough on cold nights to let the plug drop away from the contacts above. A nano-second disconnect was all that it took to end the satellite connection. I fixed it by jamming a little piece of rubber between the clip and the plug so that everything tightened up. I had another problem that also was caused by a poor plug connection. You might try turning the unit off, then take the dome top off and wiggle and re-seat any plug connectors you can find.

George