Skip to main content
Topic: On board 12V-aircompressor (Read 509 times) previous topic - next topic

On board 12V-aircompressor

Yahoo Message Number: 2335
I have the oem 12volt aircompressor that's mounted under the driverside of the cab. The only item's that are operated by the compressor are the two air-ride seats. I would like to use this compressor to possibly air-tires and or operate airhorns or even possibly air suspension. I don't have a air holding tank as the compressor runs as needed. I would need to install a air tank along with all the associated items such as gage and relief valve etc. My question is , the member's that do operate accessory item's off this compressor, are you satisfied with the performance of it and what can you tell me about changing my system over to the reserve air system and is it enough air to do what I have in mind? Thanks, Great day here in the midwest....Bob 06 pony xpress (duramax)

Re: On board 12V-aircompressor

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2344
I have air horns, air bags, air chuck and exhaust brake hooked up on my compressor with air tank. System will not properly air up tires. On/off pressure switch is set to low to inflate tires to 95 psi. System does work well for the other items hooked to it.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2346
Ron, we had a compressor on both our Journey and our Ambassador that could handle the tires (the compressor used for the airbrakes had a connection for a hose to use for the tires). We never used it. The Journey had Michelin XRV tires and they were terrible - continually had to add air. Our first winter in Florida is when I'd have liked to have used it every 2 weeks or so - but you had to run the engine to use it. That was a PITA. When we parked the Journey the first year I called CAT and asked what I should do given we'd be here for 5.5 months. They said turn the engine off and LEAVE IT OFF. Don't run it once a month or anything like that. Interestingly, Ford told us the same thing a year earlier when we left our Triple E Commander in our driveway in winter while off in Australia and New Zealand.

The following year Cummins gave us the same advice. So, darned if I wanted to rev up the engine to a very high idle so I could get the tires up to well over 100 psi for the Journey (the Journey's front GAWR and the weight rating of the XRV's were identical - not even one pound cushion). I bought a Husky compressor and have carried it ever since. It works find. When we got the Ambassador we never had to add air as the GY's seemed to hold it fine.

Now with the GY's on our Greyhawk we rarely have to add air. One qualification though. We leave for FLA in late October when it is getting down towards 40 freezing at night. SInce it has cooled off the pressures do drop off so I have to adjust them upwards. Of course, on the way to FLA the temperature rises and we end up with a few PSI more than needed. Since the MH is sitting we leave that higher pressure in.

Now comes the fun when we leave here on April 9th to head to Middlebury. My guess is that I'll have to add air at least once since the temp will be dropping as we head farther north and should be lower than it was in October.

Anyone adjust their pressures daily while heading north or south through significant temperature changes?

Don

On 20-Mar-09, at 7:28 PM, Ron Hall wrote:

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 2353
Don
My tires needed air before we left MI. Have not adjusted tire pressure since we left home. Rear tires are at 97 and fronts are at 90. Fired up my TPMS system to check them for you.