Skip to main content
Topic: Jump Starting (Read 417 times) previous topic - next topic

Jump Starting

Yahoo Message Number: 8514
Hi all,

I joined this group back in the summer after buying a 2005 Gulfstream Conquest 6316 with the 8.1 L gas engine. This is my first post, but I have learned a lot over the months from reading other posts.

I noticed the batteries are behind the running boards and are difficult to reach for jumpstarting. I also noticed what appear to be relay terminals on the pasenger side firewall. Can I jumpstart from the relays or do I have to access the batteries directly?

Also, I am getting new tires this week. Do most people run all- position tires, or put drive tires on the rears and all-position/steer tires on the front?

Thanks for your ideas,

Tom

Re: Jump Starting

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8515
Can't speak for the tires, as I haven't replaced mine yet, but the terminals are placed there just for jumping.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8516
Thanks. That's what I thought, but wanted to get others' experiences before I fried something in the electrical.

Tom

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8517
All position/steer tires at all positions. Drove in 8" of snow a couple years ago. Amazing how well MH handled with GY 670 all they way around.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8521
Thanks. I decided to stay with the all positions all the way around. It came with all positions that did well in 6 inches of snow over Monarch Pass, CO this past fall so why change it.

Tom

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8535
You probably already know this but just above the drivers window there is an emergency start button than gives you power from your house batteries if your chassis battery goes dead, just hold and start assuming house batteries are good. If you have a gasser as I do in my 2004 6316 Gulfstream my house batteries were directly in front of the left tire with no guard so they were covered in road mud etc. plus there was no way to check levels etc through the small access door. To remove batteries you disconnect both, lift one up and place to the side then turn the remaining battery sideways and drop down through the hole in the bottom of the carrier a totally stupid design. So I removed both batteries, re-routed the positive cable to the slide tray and placed the 2 house batteries with the chassis battery under the passenger side (had to re-locate and modify the hold downs for all three batteries) this way I can at least service and check all batteries by removing the 2 secure bolts and sliding the tray out. If you have a diesel with 2 starting batteries in the tray this probably can't be done.

Bob

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2012 2:28 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Jump Starting

Thanks. I decided to stay with the all positions all the way around. It came with all positions that did well in 6 inches of snow over Monarch Pass, CO this past fall so why change it.

Tom

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8536
I agree that checking the house batteries is real pain. I have the gasser, sounds just like yours. I will have to check out possibly moving those batteries like you describe.

Tom