Skip to main content
Topic: Exterior TV Mount (Read 470 times) previous topic - next topic

Exterior TV Mount

Yahoo Message Number: 9870
I saw on RV.Net a diesel pusher who had built a receiver under the side of there TV to use for a TV mount.
I have nearly completed mine, I put photos in my album.
I'm not much of a welder it might not look nice but it should hold together, hopefully or I'll be shopping for a new TV.
I took a short piece of 1 1/4" Square tube and welded a flat bar to the end of that at a 90 degree angle, I bolted the flat bar to the frame using a 1/4" stainless steel bolt as the inside support of the reciever. The other end of the 1 1/4" square tube is supported with a square U bolt that is bolted through the outer edge of one of my cargo holders.
For the TV I used a piece of 1" Square tube as the tongue and welded a riser at 90 degrees with a piece of flat bar as a gusset (extra back up to my shotty welding). I have a 1/4" cotter pin for the receiver.
I bought a stationary wall mount bracket off Amazon and U-bolted that to a piece of 1 1/4" EMT which I drop over the 1" square tube riser and rest it on an additional cotter pin drilled through the riser, this way I can rotate the TV side to side.

The only thing left is I want to tack the 1 1/4" receiver to the U-bolt because it has a bit of movement in it. Do I need to worry about welding though with this connected to my motorhome? Could the voltage cause problems with the electronics and engine computers etc?

Re: Exterior TV Mount

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9872
Cannot find your photo's.
As for welding on your MH. Make sure the welder ground wire is connected to the item your are welding on. Do not connect to frame and expect to have a good ground connection where you are welding. It may find a circuit board or other electrical part to use as path for a completed circuit when welding.
Removing battery from MH will not protect it from welder spikes. The only 100% safe way to weld is to remove item from MH. That is not practical in most instances.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9873
Thanks Ron, I should be able to attach the ground right on the receiver next to the U-bolt. I've been told to disconnect all the batteries as well and then I should be good. I'm thinking maybe I'll loosen the bolt holding the receiver to the frame as well.

I couldn't see a way to attach a picture into the post on the yahoo forum.
I'll give it a shot in the email here.

I just ordered an RCA switching device from Amazon that if it works like described I should be able to use any combination of sources (dish receiver or dvd player) to any combination of displays (interior TV in the cab over, or exterior TV)

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ronjhallsr
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2012 3:00 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Exterior TV Mount

As for welding on your MH. Make sure the welder ground wire is connected to the item your are welding on. Do not connect to frame and expect to have a good ground connection where you are welding. It may find a circuit board or other electrical part to use as path for a completed circuit when welding.
Removing battery from MH will not protect it from welder spikes. The only 100% safe way to weld is to remove item from MH. That is not practical in most instances.
Best
Ron Hall

Re: Exterior TV Mount [5 Attachments]

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 9874
One of my friends made a mount where the refrigerator outside access door is....you take it off / out and attach your TV. It was really trick, and easy access to power / cable etc. He was a professional high-end stereo installer.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

To: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2012 2:16 PM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Exterior TV Mount [5 Attachments]

Thanks Ron, I should be able to attach the ground right on the receiver next to the U-bolt. I've been told to disconnect all the batteries as well and then I should be good. I'm thinking maybe I'll loosen the bolt holding the receiver to the frame as well.

I couldn't see a way to attach a picture into the post on the yahoo forum.
I'll give it a shot in the email here.

I just ordered an RCA switching device from Amazon that if it works like described I should be able to use any combination of sources (dish receiver or dvd player) to any combination of displays (interior TV in the cab over, or exterior TV)

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ronjhallsr
Sent: Monday, September 24, 2012 3:00 PM

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 9875
I just completed the same project a couple weeks ago for the Tailgate Season at U of M football games. I will post some pictures later tonight.
My idea was to use a 2 inch receiver so I could use it for the TV mount or the gas grill. I also used a articulating arm for the TV mount so I could swing the TV away from the RV for optimal viewing. Our tailgate party's have any where for 20-100+ people each week. It does have some play and I have some ideas to firm it up.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 9876
I tacked the receiver to the U-bolt last night and this may have gone badly. I'm hoping that my house batteries are just shot, after reconnecting everything I had no DC power, after plugged into shore for a few minutes I got lights and the stairs back but the slides won't operate, the leveling jacks chatter when the engine is running, and if I try to start the generator I lose all DC again.
I'll investigate further tonight but I'm hoping the batteries are maybe dry and have no cranking power to support these loads. I hope thats all it is and the welder hasn't damaged something.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 9877
I welded a new bracket for my exhaust with no ill effect. The factory one was $hyte and broke before I even took delivery of the 'new' coach. We installed a much better, heavier duty one that was welded in far better than the way GMC did it.

Your mileage may vary.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 11:34 AM

I tacked the receiver to the U-bolt last night and this may have gone badly. I'm hoping that my house batteries are just shot, after reconnecting everything I had no DC power, after plugged into shore for a few minutes I got lights and the stairs back but the slides won't operate, the leveling jacks chatter when the engine is running, and if I try to start the generator I lose all DC again.
I'll investigate further tonight but I'm hoping the batteries are maybe dry and have no cranking power to support these loads. I hope thats all it is and the welder hasn't damaged something.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 9880
Looks like the problem was just bad batteries. The water level was good but they had no cranking power left in them.
I only got one year out of them.

My TV mount has a bit of wobble to it as well. I was thinking of welding a nut to the receiver and using a set bolt to tighten it up...or maybe just push something in the front to act as a shim.