Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel Filter - Thanks (Read 381 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel Filter - Thanks

Yahoo Message Number: 10358
All,

Thanks to everyone over the last two years that has recommended keeping an extra fuel filter in the rig. We had need of it last week when the fuel water light came on and the rig went into limp mode/reduced power.

For those of you that haven't had the pleasure of dealing with the fuel filter drain or changing the fuel filter please take a good luck at it and mull it over so your first time isn't at 10:00PM on a mountain climb, in the middle of a snowstorm with ~30 knots winds - don't ask. It was exciting. We drained the filter, got to our stopping point 10 miles down the road and wait two days for the winds to die down prior to actually changing the filter.

And my wife made sure I went straight to the auto parts store and picked up another extra filter before we resumed our trip.

Best Regards and Have a Happy New Year :)

- Glenn

Re: Fuel Filter - Thanks

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10359
That's why I carry 2. The other trick I was told, by a diesel service tech was to use "Power Service" to fill the filter when installing. It saves a lot of pumping to prime. The shop foreman at our GMC dealer also said that it would not hurt anything since the majority would be returned to the fuel tank.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of charlesg
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2012 4:40 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Fuel Filter - Thanks

All,

Thanks to everyone over the last two years that has recommended keeping an extra fuel filter in the rig. We had need of it last week when the fuel water light came on and the rig went into limp mode/reduced power.

For those of you that haven't had the pleasure of dealing with the fuel filter drain or changing the fuel filter please take a good luck at it and mull it over so your first time isn't at 10:00PM on a mountain climb, in the middle of a snowstorm with ~30 knots winds - don't ask. It was exciting. We drained the filter, got to our stopping point 10 miles down the road and wait two days for the winds to die down prior to actually changing the filter.

And my wife made sure I went straight to the auto parts store and picked up another extra filter before we resumed our trip.

Best Regards and Have a Happy New Year :)

- Glenn