Skip to main content
Topic: Trailer thoughts (Read 457 times) previous topic - next topic

Trailer thoughts

Yahoo Message Number: 10353
I'm sort of thinking out loud here so please chime in with your thoughts.

I think we've decided to stay with the Jayco gasser 32ss we have rather than try to go to a DP class A. That brings back one of the problems with our longer stays - no washer/dryer. There just isn't any place to install one either so I've toyed with the idea of getting a trailer big enough to haul a Smartcar and build a washer/dryer into the nose of it. Something with a 14' interior would be long enough. The car is 65 inches wide so I need enough width to be able to get out of the door once I drive up into the trailer.

This of course would bring up the job of plumbing the trailer for water hookup and drain. I don't really want to install a hot water heater, but maybe one of the instant heaters would work. Wouldn't need a holding tank, but would need to plumb a sewer outlet for the washer drain. Would also have to find a 110v dryer opposed to 220v.

Like I said, just thinking out loud right now. We test drove a Smartcar today and I have to say I was pretty impressed with it. I'm 6'5" and 225lbs and there was plenty of room for me. Weird transmission, but it's also towable four down and only weighs 1875 lbs.

Take care,
Greg

Re: Trailer thoughts

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10354
Interesting. When one wakes up and reaches for the iPad to check mail and news it is impossible to predict in advance what one will find. This might be the best example yet.

I can image some interesting scenarios. More comments after breakfast. :).

Don

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10355
Don't know why it wouldn't work, but since you've got to carry propane for the water heater why not look at a gas dryer. It would definitely dry faster, not sure how much propane it would use, but that should be easy to check.

We actually saw a semi permanent in a CG who "rube goldberg'd" one and he had the drain coming out of a compartment door and the dryer vent coming out of a window.:)

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Greg Gimlick
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2012 11:21 PM
To: Kodiak
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Trailer thoughts

I'm sort of thinking out loud here so please chime in with your thoughts.

I think we've decided to stay with the Jayco gasser 32ss we have rather than try to go to a DP class A. That brings back one of the problems with our longer stays - no washer/dryer. There just isn't any place to install one either so I've toyed with the idea of getting a trailer big enough to haul a Smartcar and build a washer/dryer into the nose of it. Something with a 14' interior would be long enough. The car is 65 inches wide so I need enough width to be able to get out of the door once I drive up into the trailer.

This of course would bring up the job of plumbing the trailer for water hookup and drain. I don't really want to install a hot water heater, but maybe one of the instant heaters would work. Wouldn't need a holding tank, but would need to plumb a sewer outlet for the washer drain. Would also have to find a 110v dryer opposed to 220v.

Like I said, just thinking out loud right now. We test drove a Smartcar today and I have to say I was pretty impressed with it. I'm 6'5" and 225lbs and there was plenty of room for me. Weird transmission, but it's also towable four down and only weighs 1875 lbs.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10356
Don wrote:

Interesting. When one wakes up and reaches for the iPad to check mail
and news it is impossible to predict in advance what one will find.
This might be the best example yet.

I do what I can :-)

I can image some interesting scenarios. More comments after breakfast. :).

Yeah, I want ideas from people with full tummies! :-)

Really just a lot of thinking going on right now with the end of year
deals on cars, it's an easy time to grab one "cheap"

Greg

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 10357
David Sparke wrote:

Don't know why it wouldn't work, but since you've got to carry propane
for the water heater why not look at a gas dryer.

My thoughts are to look at one of the electric wall mounted "instant"
hot water heaters so I don't have to run propane and another hot water
heater.

We actually saw a semi permanent in a CG who "rube goldberg'd" one and
he had the drain coming out of a compartment door and the dryer vent
coming out of a window.:)

SWMBO isn't one to accept a Rube Goldberg setup :-) I get a kick out of
some of the ones I've seen though.

Greg

Trailer Thoughts

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10360
Greg, sorry for taking so long to get back. After a good breakfast, I forgot. Remembered this evening.

I had to do a bit of searching through over 42,000 photos to find what I wanted for your ultimate setup. A few years ago when we had our 41 ft DP we stopped in our usual first night park when headed home from FLA. It is Twin Oaks at X-127 in GA. We were accustomed to getting a spot in the front row of 8 where they put all the big stuff.

On this particular occasion we sure did have some big neighbours.

The guy right next to us had this rig and trailer. It is a Monaco Signature with a custom trailer. I was very curious about that he had in the trailer. DW had a peak when he opened the door on the other side and said he has a motorcycle in there. That seemed like a BIG trailer for a bike. Well, I asked him what he had and he opened the back door (I should have taken a photo) and sure enough, there was a Harley there. BUT, above it on a hoist was a Dodge Viper Coupe. Oh, I asked him where he went in FLA and it was that park in Naples where at the time lakefront lots were selling for over $350,000.

Another half dozen spots down the row was what I was reminded of when you mentioned your thoughts. Now, this config wouldn't be perfect without a back door for your "ForTwo".

I had other ideas but if it was just DW and I (always have to keep Phil in mind) a ForTwo would work. I figured we could do what this guy appeared to be doing - taking his wife's quilting and crafting stuff along by giving her a complete facility of her own. Great idea - get rid of her for the day every day but still close enough for meals (DW got me an auto shut off kettle since I have trouble boiling water. :) Wouldn't be much work to get a washer and dryer in this trailer.

As you can see, a small door in the back would take the ForTwo Smart car very easily and still leave lots of room for the w/d and much more.

Now I got you to the extreme top end of your concept and you will have to slide back to earth as your tow limit is only 6500 lbs. Hitch weight of this "thing" is probably substantial.

So, come dream along with me. BTW, given the weight of this MH and trailer, I'd have to mover my license up several levels right to the top which is for a tractor trailer rig - and at age 65 in Ontario that means a medical EVERY year and a written test and road test every year as well. No thanks. :)
Don

Re: Trailer Thoughts

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10361
Mr Helpful Don Leslie wrote:

I had to do a bit of searching through over 42,000 photos to find what I
wanted for your ultimate setup.

Well at least you didn't have many to go thru :-)

The guy right next to us had this rig and trailer. It is a Monaco
Signature with a custom trailer.

Now THAT is a by-God setup!

BUT, above it on a hoist was a Dodge Viper Coupe. Oh, I asked him
where he went in FLA and it was that park in Naples where at the time
lakefront lots were selling for over $350,000.

Hmmmmmmm, this may be beyond my pocketbook :-) I couldn't afford the
Harley, much less the Viper.

appeared to be doing - taking his wife's quilting and crafting stuff
along by giving her a complete facility of her own. Great idea - get
rid of her for the day every day but still close enough for meals

I read this to Kathy and she said, "you know....maybe he's not such a
nice guy" :-) The fact I thought it was a great idea might not have helped.

Wouldn't be much work to get a washer and dryer in this trailer.

I'm thinking washer/dryer/man-cave.

Now I got you to the extreme top end of your concept and you will have
to slide back to earth as your tow limit is only 6500 lbs.

Crashing back to earth is more like it. Boy those are some kind of rigs.
I've seen a few like that in our travels and I always wonder what is in
there. We were in New Orleans and one like the Monaco setup was there. A
guy and his very sparkly young trophy wife pulled in driving a big white
Jaq and got out to go inside. When they did, the driver/washer/waxer guy
came out and got on a motorcycle he unloaded and drove away. I never did
see what was in the trailer, but it was definitely a stack so I suspect
something nice. This couple was comical to watch though for the two days
they were there. He was decked in gold chains and bracelets and looked
like something from The Sopranos while she looked like....well, let's
just be kind and say a rental.

Greg