Skip to main content
Topic: New Shore Power Cord (Read 381 times) previous topic - next topic

New Shore Power Cord

Yahoo Message Number: 4763
I finally got tired of fighting that inflexible, "elephant" trunk shore power cord and replaced it and connected the inner end directly to the transfer switch.

I bought 35 ft. of 6/4 SOOW cord which is smaller in diameter and much more flexible than the stock STW shore power cord. I actually wanted 6/3 with a #8 equipment ground wire but it is not in stock at the electrical warehouses in my area. Cost was $3.07/ft.

I used an 1 1/8 hole saw in the wall between the electrical and generator compartments and also through the floor. It was easy to route the new cord up into the space under the clothes closet and over to the transfer switch. I did, however, have to make a custom bushing for the hole through the gen/elect. compartment wall out of a liquid tight cord connector. It may have been easier to use an 1 1/4 hole and a standard electrical conduit bushing. I also had to buy two 1 1/2 reducing washers to attach the cord connector to the trans. switch as the knockouts in that plastic trans. switch seem to be larger than those in regular metal electrical boxes. I then attached a replacement 50 amp male cord cap to the outer end to plug into the power pedestal.

If I have posted them correctly, you can view photos of this in my album under kemper_mm.

My next considerations are 1.) installing a floor plate in the bottom of the elect. compartment so I can close and lock it whenever the cord is in use and 2.) how to store or dispose of the old elephant trunk.

Paul