Skip to main content
Topic: Stuck Oil Filter on Chevy 8.1L Engine (Read 639 times) previous topic - next topic

Stuck Oil Filter on Chevy 8.1L Engine

Yahoo Message Number: 4764
Help!

I went to change the oil and filter on my Jayco Greyhawk with the 8.1L Chevy Gas engine; no problem with the oil drain bolt, but the oil filter was another story. It is completely stuck. I tried the standard adjustable clamp type oil filter wrench, I even ran to the auto parts store and bought the metal wrench that specifically fits the filter...no luck!

Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

Re: Stuck Oil Filter on Chevy 8.1L Engine

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4765
Try the cloth strap type that attaches to a ratchet. Also try with a braker bar. How many times have I been trying to take it off the wrong direction.

Keith
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 05:06:43 -0000
To:
ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Stuck Oil Filter on Chevy 8.1L Engine

Help!

I went to change the oil and filter on my Jayco Greyhawk with the 8.1L Chevy Gas engine; no problem with the oil drain bolt, but the oil filter was another story. It is completely stuck. I tried the standard adjustable clamp type oil filter wrench, I even ran to the auto parts store and bought the metal wrench that specifically fits the filter...no luck!

Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 4766
A large pair of Channel Lock Type pliers have always gotten any filter that needed to be removed by me. I have 2. One is a old Craftsman. The other a true Channel Lock. They may not be pretty any more but will remove any over tightened filter first try. If you have a Harbor Freight close by. They sell a 16" pair of Slip Groove Pliers for less than $20.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 4767
I purchased a 50 amp X 35' Extention Cord off EBAY a couple years ago. I was suprised at how much more flexible it is over OEM cord. I have a portable Surge Guard that I have mounted in the electrical bay. OEM and extention cord now have a recpetical on both ends. My extra cord is coiled up and stored in one of my threw basement compartments. I did have to get it out twice this year for hookup at rally's.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 4768
I have driven a large screw driver through the bottom of the stuck filter and used that to break the stuck filter. That has also not worked and I destroyed the old filter but was then able to grasp the inner part of the filter with smaller channel locks and get the filter off. It is maddening.

Mike

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 4933
I was planning to change my oil and filter in the next couple of weeks. I hope my filter will come off without any problems (cross my fingers)!

-Tom

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 4934
Just spend the 75 bucks and stay clean: its not worth the hassle.

Sent: 27 July, 2010 7:48 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Stuck Oil Filter on Chevy 8.1L Engine

I was planning to change my oil and filter in the next couple of weeks. I hope my filter will come off without any problems (cross my fingers)!

-Tom

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 4935
Use a large pair of Channel-Lok pliers. You will not have a problem removing the filter.
Best
Ron Hall