Skip to main content
Topic: spare tire? (Read 476 times) previous topic - next topic

spare tire?

Yahoo Message Number: 8299
we are looking to buy a used Jayco Seneca in the future, understand they don't come with a spare tire anymore, does a 2008 36 ms come with a spare tire?

Re: spare tire?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8300
Mine didn't.

center
From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Larry
Sent: Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:17 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] spare tire?

we are looking to buy a used Jayco Seneca in the future, understand they don't come with a spare tire anymore, does a 2008 36 ms come with a spare tire?

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8301

Most dont these days. The reality is you are not.changing ot yourself and they weigh so much the mfg. Would rather give.you something functional or payload.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8303
My MH came with a spare. It has not been touched in 7 years except to check it. I wonder why I am carrying that extra weight. But will probably keep it there just in case.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8304
None came with a spare, it wasn't even offered as an option. I bought a Tuf Tug hoist through Kaffenbarger Truck in Dayton and mounted it behind the fuel tank. I may still have pics if so I will post when I find them.

Here is the link to the hoist:

http://www.tuf-tug.com/st.htm

If you decide to buy one you will need to measure the distance between the frame and they will cut angle iron to fit and include it. Also you need to add 2 1/2" spacers between the angle iron and the frame to raise the hoist up, I used 1/2" pipe. Also you need to besure that there is room between the compartments for the tire. I just cleared the generator by about 3/4" on one side.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8305
My Gulfstream did not come with a spare.

I bought a wheel & tire before my first trip. In 6 years, have used it twice. Although I have the tools on board to do it, I had Good Sam road service do the swap. Would do it myself if in a place without cell service.

Up to you to "weigh" the pros and cons.

Charles

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8307
Mine had no spare either. I bought a wheel and then shopped the commercial local dealers for a tire. I keep the spare under the ATV in my Ranger toad. I also have Good Sam road service so will call them out for a swap if I should need one as I can't handle the re torque. I have the tools to remove the wheel but lug nut torque is north of 400 ft lbs, also the old back isn't what it used to be.
Denny

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8308
Our previous class A had a bay for a spare. When I upgraded my wheels, I put one of the take-off steel wheels and mounted tire in there for a spare. The reason I did and the reason I wish the Seneca had come equipped to carry a spare follows.

The advantage of carrying a spare (at least a tire, if not a mounted tire) is that if you have a tire failure and are anywhere but a major metro area, the local outlets are most likely not going to have your size tire on hand. So you will get to camp out for a day or two in an unplanned stop while the proper tire is shipped in.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 8316
I blew a tire on my last 450 Ford C years ago in Canada in the middle of no where. Had to spend a bunch to buy a new spare, a brand I have never heard of. When I got home I mounted a spare on the rear, so I had one on the back and one under, it was way overloaded.

I shopped for this MH for a year or two wanted the shortest one I could buy. None I was thinking of building or buying had a spare most did not have a way to carry one. The Std answer was call Road Side service, where we are half the time there isnt even cell phone service. I eventually bought a 6316 Endura carry the spare in the rear storage, a 3/4 breaker bar and a 4' pipe. I figure when I can't get around under, it anymore I can hire someone to do it for me. I also carry a couple of Jacks just in case.
I get the weight off of the axel with the leveling jacks, then set a jack under the axel to raise it, in the rear it will keep you from pulling your air bags apart.