Skip to main content
Topic: Off Season Upgrade Time (Read 442 times) previous topic - next topic

Off Season Upgrade Time

Yahoo Message Number: 8315
I've been thinking it was time to replace my tires, they don't have a lot of miles, but just age and I'd hate to have a trip delayed while we're waiting for a service truck on the side of the road.

When I took my RV down to storage this year I found my driver side inside dual was flat. What tire would you recommend using for replacement?

Also thinking I might like to do a chip, what suggestions there?

Re: Off Season Upgrade Time

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8318
I just replaced the tires on my 06 with 32000 miles. I wend with Michelin xze tires. Also had the alignment checked.

On the topic of spare tires I kept one of the old tires and put it above the frame in one of the storage compartments. Figure I will at least have a tire for the road service to use. After watching the tire guys change the tires I am sure I could swap the flat tire off the rim with the spare myself.

Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8322
, "gsultra_lee"  wrote:

When I took my RV down to storage this year I found my driver side inside dual was flat. What tire would you recommend using for replacement?

On my last trip east, I had an outside rear dual with a big gouge out of it. At trucker told me I needed to replace it but to only replace that tire with another from the vehicle. His reasoning was that the tire tread would cause a bounce of the tires and very shortly destroy both tires.

I ended up taking both front tires off for the read pair and put two new ones on the front. I don't know if this was absolutely necessary or not, but I feel better after doing it.

Bob Barbee
2008 Seneca 34SS\
2006 Colorado 4X4 Crewcab

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8324
Tires Manufacturers are not polite discussion. Like Religion and Politics. ;-)

However.... I am with Ronnie

I did the same
Michelin XZE Load H 245/70R19.5

And never looked back. Very happy.

Note bono - Ronnie said XZE (NOT to be confused with XRV)

As Tarzan said to Jane: "XZE Good; XRV Bad"

Kevin KF5FUZ

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8325

Ditto on the Michelin XZE here....

Roger

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8327
No question. Avoid XRV like the plague. We had them on our 04 Journey and had problems with air retention from day one right to the point we dumped it.

The stories about blow outs were all over RVnet and Michelin's answer was always that the MH must have been either overloaded or tires under-inflated.

One fellow had two blowout in two weeks - and it was sitting in his driveway and never moved.

Don

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8337
I guess we are the odd person. Last year I replace the Goodyear G670 with G647s. Went up a load range to 225/70R19.5G. Mostly because of the snow rating since we travel at Christmas time. Oddly, I never had to drive through any snow until I got these put on. Now it has been twice.

David

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 8411
Thanks for the replies. By this thread and looking at old ones a lot of you have xze 245's. Do the larger tires cut down turning radius or rub at all?

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 8413
I was very worried about dual separation - but in practice I have seen no difference. Ride improvement is another story. And a good story at that.

That said the tire can handle more pressure, and I run tend to run on the high side.

I saw no difference in turning radius.

Kevin KF5FUZ

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Published data

Goodyear Michelin XZE Michelin XRV Load Level G H F Size 245/70R19.5 245/70R19.5 245/70R19.5 Tred Depth 13.5 18 14 Rim Sizes 6.75/7.50 6.75/7.50 6.75, 7.50 Dual Sep 11 10.7 10.7 Overall Width 9.7 9.7 9.6 Overall Diameter 33 33.6 33.3 Static Loaded R 15.3 15.6 15.5

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 8414
For what it is worth:

My Seneca 34SS is in storage so I don't know what size tires it has. They are whatever came from the factory. I have a friend who runs a fleet of big rigs. He saw the tires on the MH and said they were low profile tires. He also said that his drivers didn't like the low profile tires because they catch the tire ruts in the road and cause the trucks to jump side to side.