Skip to main content
Topic: clicking up front (Read 586 times) previous topic - next topic

clicking up front

Yahoo Message Number: 8797
Hey folks,
On the way back from Oregon, we noticed a rhythmic clicking sound from the passenger side front wheel area. I'm betting it is a bearing gone bad. Anyone play with these? Can I get parts at a GM dealership or am I gonna have to talk to a commercial truck place? Thanks for the help!

Re: clicking up front

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8798
Check the hub cover. They have been known to cause a noise.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8801
Make reservations NOW on reserveamerica.com. We like the coast and stay at either Nehalem Bay (near Tillamook and Cannon Beach) or South Beach (near Newport). The south coast is fun around Florence if you are into 45 miles of sand dunes. If you stay way south near Brookings, you can go to the Redwoods for a long day trip. It is all scenic but doesn't get very hot. We have been there in July and have experienced 55 degree days. Oregon has excellent state parks and water/30 Amp hookups for 28.00 night

Re: Oregon

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8802
Lots to explore - and lots of volcanic features - makes for a happy Sandy...

Crater Lake - Of course! (Attached pdf) A good park, south of the crowd is listed in the pdf. Then a short drive to the lake.

Enjoyed a climb up Mt. Bachelor - (by Bend)

Mt. Bachelor
Mt. Bachelor

In the other direction (Underground) you can climb down the Lava River Cave - (south of Bend).

Sandy loves the coast as well.

Right at the boarder with California are the Redwoods, and we like both sides of the boarder on the pacific Highway there.

Redwoods area - Attached

You are going to love it - coast or interior - lots to explore...

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8811
Me too. Thinking of taking the family for about a week. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. How important is it to make reservations?

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8813
VERY important if you want to stay at a State park. They fill up fast. There may be other campgrounds available, but for price, privacy, cleanliness, and proximity to the beach, it's tough to beat their parks in Oregon.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, April 9, 2012 6:02 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: clicking up front

Me too. Thinking of taking the family for about a week. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. How important is it to make reservations?

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 8818

ditto....they make noise when too tight! my valet where I store the coach like to overtighten mine amd they do make a bad noise in that case.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 8824
Strange, but I got the front wheels off the ground and spun them. No noise. It appears to click only when bearing weight. I will try a test drive to see what's up. Also, I got the silencing blocks installed and will try those out, too. 15 minutes? Maybe, if you have all the tools right there. I had to hunt around to find a headache bar big enough to separate the leaf springs, sit on the bar, and reach in to set the blocks. If you can do it with the little bar in the photo, then you are more more of a man than I'll ever be. There are conveniently placed assorted sharp surfaces near that front suspension that are perfect for skinning the human knuckle upon impact! Another mandatory tool necessary for installation would be a good set of vice grips. The cheap bolts they sent with the blocks strip about half way in, so you will need the VGs for the final turns. I will reserve a comment on whether they were worth the $130.00 for after I test them, but at first blush, it seems like a lot of dough for what you get. If they make the confounded popping sound go away, then I suppose they are priceless. I guess that's part of the "fun" of being an RVer - paying too much for stuff. Regards,
L

To: Kodiak Kodiak ; "ronjhall@..."
Sent: Monday, April 9, 2012 9:39 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: clicking up front

ditto....they make noise when too tight! my valet where I store the coach like to overtighten mine amd they do make a bad noise in that case.

To:;
Sent: Fri, Apr 6, 2012 10:37:10 AM

Check the hub cover. They have been known to cause a noise.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 8825
Have you tried removing the wheel/hub covers off front wheels to see if clicking sound goes away?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 8826
Not yet. I will try that tonight after work. I assume the larger nuts actually hold the cover in place? My rig came with a smaller socket that fits the smaller nuts, they don't appear to serve any useful function. I will probably have to use channel locks with some padding to remove the bigger nuts.

Re: Oregon

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 8828
Take in the Oregon Dune National Recreation Area..ODNRA
lots of fun to be had renting an off road vehicle or taking a dunes tour in a dune buggy.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 8833
I haven't been into the front wheel bearings on this model truck but I have rebuilt many front wheel bearings on many different vehicles. If the wheel didn't make a noise when elevated and the sound is a clicking sound, I doubt that it has anything to do with the bearings.

There are two likely suspects in my opinion. I would first check the center plastic hub cap. Mine are relativelly loose and I can easily see then clicking with time. Metal duct tape is a handy fix if that is the culpret. The other would be the plastic ring held on by the plastic nuts. I would tend to think the cap is the more likely cause.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 8835
Thanks again guys! I discovered it's the doggone nuts that hold the hub cover on! They flex and make a clicking noise when the rig moves. I replicated the noise with them in my hand. Saved me a lot of hassle with dinking around with the wheel bearings. I love this group! :x lovestruck

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:32 PM

I haven't been into the front wheel bearings on this model truck but I have rebuilt many front wheel bearings on many different vehicles. If the wheel didn't make a noise when elevated and the sound is a clicking sound, I doubt that it has anything to do with the bearings.

There are two likely suspects in my opinion. I would first check the center plastic hub cap. Mine are relativelly loose and I can easily see then clicking with time. Metal duct tape is a handy fix if that is the culpret. The other would be the plastic ring held on by the plastic nuts. I would tend to think the cap is the more likely cause.