Skip to main content
Topic: Where is the fuel filter? (Read 465 times) previous topic - next topic

Where is the fuel filter?

Yahoo Message Number: 9624
I just bought a 2008 Born Free on a chevy kodiak chassis w/the 8.1L engine.
When running a search for the fuel filter part #, I read from a couple of posts
on other sites that GM put the fuel filter in the gas tank beginning in (I think they said) 2004 or 05, so in order to replace it, you have to drop the gas tank. Doesn't make much sense, but thought I would confirm that.
Can anyone verify the fuel filter location for me?
thanks
john

Re: Where is the fuel filter?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9625
My research on 2008-9 models did not show a fuel filter. Even in the tank.
My service manual states for 8.1 trucks equipped with a fuel filter. It is located on Passenger side inside frame rail. It did not say that it is standard. I would contact a GM MD dealer parts department and ask for one.
Maybe someone on this forum will have experience on this item.
For reference my 2007 Chevy Malibu does not have a fuel filter.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9626
Ron and John, the 2009 order reference guide states (for all models with the 8.1) Fuel filter: In-line replaceable element type

Just found my 2007 GM online order reference guide and it states:

Vortec Engines - Vortec 8.1L MD Gasoline V8
Fuel System: Sequential Port Fuel Injection
Returnless fuel system
Fuel injection electronically controlled by onboard computer system
Cooling: 30.1 qt. (28.5 L) capacity, 195 degrees F (90 degrees C) thermostat, 15 lbs. (6.8 kg)
pressure cap and all-season coolant protected to -34 degrees F (-36 degrees C). Coolant
expansion/recovery bottle incorporated in closed cooling system. Constant tension spring clamps
on large radiator/heater hoses
DEX-COOL: Long Life Coolant
Magnetic drain plug
Fan: 22" (55.9 cm) 7 or 9-blade nylon, viscous drive
Fuel filter: In-line replaceable element type
Oil filter: Full-flow .5 qt. (.47L) spin-on type
Oil sump: capacity 10 qt. (9.5L)
Oil Level Sensor: Warning sensor for low oil levels
Starter: Delco Remy, PG-260L, 5 Roll over-running clutch
Ignition: High Energy Ignition with Electronic Spark Control
Single Exhaust: driver side stainless steel exhaust with catalytic converter mounted behind
muffler
lnconel exhaust valves are standard - no further change required for alternate fuel capability
Oil life monitoring system

Don

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 9628
I have a Chevy dump truck with the 454 8.1 gas engine and the fuel filter is on inside of the frame rail about under the drivers seat location.

Larry Myers

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 9629
Larry, that one made me laugh. You may recall that at the rally in 2010 when we went to visit Jayco, in our session on the "new Seneca" the Jayco rep (forgot his name) stated that we were currently driving dump trucks.

I assume the dump truck you are referring to here is other than the dump truck that was made into your Seneca? :)

Don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 9630
Best "dump truck" I ever drove. Especially since I don't have to worry about the snow plow on the front. :)

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 3:56 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Where is the fuel filter?

Larry, that one made me laugh. You may recall that at the rally in 2010 when we went to visit Jayco, in our session on the "new Seneca" the Jayco rep (forgot his name) stated that we were currently driving dump trucks.

I assume the dump truck you are referring to here is other than the dump truck that was made into your Seneca? :)

Don

On 2012-08-08, at 3:47 PM,

I have a Chevy dump truck with the 454 8.1 gas engine and the fuel filter is on inside of the frame rail about under the drivers seat location.

Larry Myers

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 9631
Can't fool us, you have the plough on the front of your 4 x 4 toad. :)

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 9632
Don your memory is exactly right. The engineer who addressed our group did call our chassis and up scaled dump truck. But your correct I do have a real Chevy dump truck with the 454 8.1 gas engine I use in my landscaping business and it to is a great truck except for the gas mileage of 5 mpg. I have changed the fuel filter several times and as I said its in side the frame rail about under the drivers seat location.

Larry