Skip to main content
Topic: Winter took it's toll on my Seneca Floor (Read 610 times) previous topic - next topic

Winter took it's toll on my Seneca Floor

Yahoo Message Number: 12578
We have had a lot of sub zero temp's here in northern Indiana this winter. One morning my outdoor thermometer showed -18F . I was shocked the other day when I went into my Jayco 2008 Seneca 36 MS and found the kitchen vinyl floor cracked into two pieces. The vinyl floor had separated into two pieces with a 1 " wide crack between the pieces. The reason I was in the Seneca I was taking it to Jayco in Middleburry for some follow up work on a past warranty issue. I showed the service dept the crack and they said they had never seen any of their motorhomes have that problem. They did say some of their travel trailers in Canada that had seen -40F below had had some vinyl floor cracking issues. Jayco wanted $2000 to replace the floor with more vinyl. For now I passed on that thinking I would just up grade to the wood flooring like Ron Hall had put in his motorhome. When I told Jayco service I was going to do that my self they said it would not work. I have the Jayco 2008 36 MS Seneca with the wall slide. On that model they have the wall slide that slides out and drop's down level with the kitchen vinyl floor. Because of this drop down situation, I can't not put in a thicker wood flooring.per Jayco Service Dept.
Has any one else had any vinyl floor cracking issues in there Jayco motorhomes? Also has any one else done any floor up grades on there Jayco Seneca 36 MS wall slide model? I know I can just put down more vinyl my self but will the future give us more of the Polar Vortex and extreme sub zero temps here in Indiana and another cracked floor?? Not sure what the answer is for me right now. Suggestions?
Larry Myers
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Re: Winter took it's toll on my Seneca Floor

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 12581
Attachments :

Same problem with my '05 Endura. Not sure what I will use to replace the floor, but something similar to Ron's is on the table. I have also been thinking about the newer vinyl tiles with flexible grout joints. $2k for a dealer replacement - WOW! I know there will be some time in cutting/fitting and I'm still considering how much I will remove before installing the new floor (all of my cabinetry has been removed, replaced). Nothing more than the thinking stage right now - high temps have been 20-30 degrees below average so it won't be warm enough to work on it for a while and I lost my indoor heated shop space when I sold the business 2 years ago (it's about the only think I miss about the business).
    Greg
    MN

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of lmyersmaui@...
    Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2014 8:57 AM
    To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Winter took it's toll on my Seneca Floor

We have had a lot of sub zero temp's here in northern Indiana this winter. One morning my outdoor thermometer showed -18F . I was shocked the other day when I went into my Jayco 2008 Seneca 36 MS and found the kitchen vinyl floor cracked into two pieces. The vinyl floor had separated into two pieces with a 1 " wide crack between the pieces. The reason I was in the Seneca I was taking it to Jayco in Middleburry for some follow up work on a past warranty issue. I showed the service dept the crack and they said they had never seen any of their motorhomes have that problem. They did say some of their travel trailers in Canada that had seen -40F below had had some vinyl floor cracking issues. Jayco wanted $2000 to replace the floor with more vinyl. For now I passed on that thinking I would just up grade to the wood flooring like Ron Hall had put in his motorhome. When I told Jayco service I was going to do that my self they said it would not work. I have the Jayco 2008 36 MS Seneca with the wall slide. On that model they have the wall slide that slides out and drop's down level with the kitchen vinyl floor. Because of this drop down situation, I can't not put in a thicker wood flooring.per Jayco Service Dept.
    Has any one else had any vinyl floor cracking issues in there Jayco motorhomes? Also has any one else done any floor up grades on there Jayco Seneca 36 MS wall slide model? I know I can just put down more vinyl my self but will the future give us more of the Polar Vortex and extreme sub zero temps here in Indiana and another cracked floor?? Not sure what the answer is for me right now. Suggestions?
    Larry Myers
    Fort Wayne, Indiana

Reply #2
    Yahoo Message Number: 12636
    I just had the same thing happen here in Indy with my '05 Conquest. Went in to give a once over when the weather broke the other day and found a huge arch shaped break in the vinyl from the sink area over to the shower area. Was over at Lowes and thinking about replacing it with 12 inch press on tiles and was going to ask if anyone had done this. It seems like it would be a lot easier to lay the tiles down than manhandling a big piece of linoleum.

Ken

Reply #3
    Yahoo Message Number: 12637
    Attachments :

I have been doing some research as I'm in the same position with the floor on my '05 Endura. From reading numerous posts on this issue along with checking a couple of sources that refurb RV's including doing floor replacement, it seems that the finish floor needs to move some given the wide temp range these coaches are subject to. A new staple down would probably require removing cabinets, panels etc to make sure that the staples are both hidden and far enough away from the floor edge or the addition of ½ moulding around the perimeter. That is wider than I would like - I would like to use ¼ max. Ron's solution (Home Depot Allure floating floor) seems to be widely used and likely the easiest. Tiffin uses Armstrong Altura glue down with flex grout in some of their units. This requires a silicone based adhesive (if I understand the process for RV's) which allows some movement.  Anything glued requires the addition of ¼" plywood when the existing floor is OSB which mine is. I keep coming back to Ron's solution. I would like to use the Armstrong product but I don't want to add ¼ to the height of my floor.
      Greg
      MN

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ken_harry@...
      Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 1:13 PM
      To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Winter took it's toll on my Seneca Floor

I just had the same thing happen here in Indy with my '05 Conquest. Went in to give a once over when the weather broke the other day and found a huge arch shaped break in the vinyl from the sink area over to the shower area. Was over at Lowes and thinking about replacing it with 12 inch press on tiles and was going to ask if anyone had done this. It seems like it would be a lot easier to lay the tiles down than manhandling a big piece of linoleum.

Ken

Reply #4
      Yahoo Message Number: 12638
      It would seem you could just find a local vinyl installer to do it. Its pretty tricky and to do it correctly you need some experience. Its easy at the factory as they sheet the whole units in one shot.

To do it correctly you might have to take the slide off and out? Dunno.

Be well,

~
      Victor - KI6IM
      Dutchmen Diesel 34H Bunkhouse
      Jayco Embark TB390 Bunkhouse

On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:35 PM, Greg  wrote:

Reply #5
      Yahoo Message Number: 12639
      I have never removed a slide to do a flooring project. But have jacked up slide for a little more clearance under slide.
      Best
      Ron Hall