Skip to main content
Topic: Winter Fuel Additive (Read 556 times) previous topic - next topic

Winter Fuel Additive

Yahoo Message Number: 13785
Hi all -
This summer i became the new owner of a well maintained 2009 Seneca after years of towing with my F150. She is winterized and ready to ride out the north east snow season in outdoor storage. I filled the fuel tank earlier this week and my research has led to two questions I haven't found an answer on. Want to be sure I do it right as a first-timer with a diesel.

On my way to fill it, I stopped and bought a diesel supplement (Power Service) for anti-gelling. At the service station where I filled the coach, the tech I spoke with said the diesel fuel was winter blend and already had "all the stuff in it" that I needed, including the anti-gel. In fact, I think it was treated already with Power Service, based on the sign.

A) I put about 48 gallons of their winter blend in my 80 gallon tank, and the remaining 30 gallons is from this summer. Should I add the supplement at all? enough to treat 30 gallons? or enough to treat 80 gallons (will too much hurt)? I'm new at this, hoping to get it right this year so going forward is easier!

B) I don't think this has any biocide in it - I have seen mixed reactions on whether this is necessary. i'm one who tends to do a little extra and do the "unnecessary" things as long as they aren't harmful. Question for those in the "don't bother with the algae treatment" camp - is it harmful to the system? i.e. if I do it for peace of mind even if some think its unneeded, no harm other than a few bucks, right?

Thanks, and happy Thanksgiving! We hit the road for our first extended trip as soon as my kids are done with school in June, so want to treat it right for the winter.

- Mike

Re: Winter Fuel Additive

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 13786
Welcome to the group. GM recommends Stanadyne Performance additives for the Duramax. But I have used both that and power service. Unless you live in a high humidity area like FL. You should not need algaecide.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 13787
Using more additive will not hurt anything, so the amount for 80 gallons is fine. Power Service is a fine additive, Stanadyne is a major manufacturer of diesel injection pumps, so they are also very acceptable. I use the Wal Mart TC-W3 2-stroke oil about 1 oz/gal as my addtitive in my MH, diesel trucks and diesel tractor, primarily as a lubricity additive, not for the anti-gelling. The TC-W3 is a lot less cost, and my main concern is the lubricity, especially with the old style mechanical rotary inj pump my truck and tractor use.

I agree with the attendant that the winter blend has the anti-gelling formula already. In general there are a lot less problems with the diesel fuel gelling now than in past. Even summer blend is probably OK down to around teens or maybe zero degrees. No need to worry about the biocide, you will not have any problems in the 4-6 months of storage. Having full tanks is best to prevent condensation build-up.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 13788
i have used it all. the walmart two stroke oil. power service, now i am using howes diesel additive. i found a place back east to buy it and with shipping to washington is still 5 dollars a bottle cheaper than i can get it at the parts store. recipe calls for 1 ounce to 5 gallons so i don't have to use as much as the power service. i'm like you, i don't know if it helps, but i don't think it hurts either and if i have less problems because of it then i'm all in.

mark

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 13789
I used Standadyne in the 08 we had and one thing I found was, it did reduce the DPF regen cycles(20 minutes about every 250 miles or so) which is something they claim, less smoke. As Ron said that is one product that GM does accept if you decide to use an additive.

Dave