Skip to main content
Topic: Water pump (Read 814 times) previous topic - next topic

Water pump

Yahoo Message Number: 2898
I think our pump must be the noisiest one there is. Just
terrible. We just dry camped from Sunday to Friday so had to use
it. Only the second time other than during breaks when driving.

Has anyone replaced the stock pump on a Jayco? If you did, was the
new one better and which make and model did you get?

Also, we found that our pump would come on for a second a couple of
times a day. There appeared to be no fixed interval and I checked all
the taps and no drips were visible. Has me scratching my head.

The hot water tank is the only thing I can think of. Anyone else
encounter this problem?

Tx

Don

Re: Water pump

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2899
Don Leslie wrote:

I think our pump must be the noisiest one there is.

Right next to mine :-)

We just dry camped from Sunday to Friday so had to use

I've used mine a lot this year because I dry camped for a couple of
weeks. If someone is trying to sleep when the pump run, forget it :-)
Loud to say the least.

Has anyone replaced the stock pump on a Jayco?

Nope.

I gave up on this years ago. Every camper and motorhome I've had has
done this if the pump is left on. It makes you think there is a leak
someplace, but there isn't. According to my late great father who was
something of a plumbing expert, it has to do with the pump itself not
holding the pressure on the line completely. The pressure actually leaks
back thru the pump valve until the pressure switch senses enough of a
drop to kick it on and bring the pressure back up in the
system......wait and repeat. Irritating, but once you verify there isn't
a leak in the line someplace, it's just the way it is.

Take care,
Greg
Jayco 32SS and liking it more each time we use it.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2900
I don't have a Jayco, I have a Pony Xpress, but it had a very noisy water pump and I did replace it. The cheapo pumps that cost around $79.00 have 2 modes - either off or on. As soon as the pressure drops, they turn on full, and when the pressure comes up, they shut off. So when you run water at less than full open, the pump is actually slamming on and off many times a second. This slams the pipes throughout the RV and makes a ton of noise. The solution is a variable speed pump. They are expensive, but worth it if the noise bothers you. I got the Flojet VSD. It pretty much screwed right in place as far as the pipes went, it comes with the proper adapters. The more difficult part of it was the physical mounting of the pump is slightly different (screws located in a different place) and redoing the wiring which had to be cut and re-crimped. It took maybe an hour to replace.

Here's a link to the VSD that I used - the 3.7 GPM since I don't have a washer/dryer. But having tried that, I think I would spring for the 4.5 GPM model instead, as it runs with a higher static pressure which makes the flow more house-like. The VSD is a ton quieter, but it's not fully silent. It kind of moans in a low pitch when you run the water very slowly J.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-pumps-water/flojet-pump.htm

Jeff

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Greg Gimlick
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2009 11:54 AM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Water pump

Don Leslie wrote:

I think our pump must be the noisiest one there is.

Right next to mine :-)

We just dry camped from Sunday to Friday so had to use

I've used mine a lot this year because I dry camped for a couple of
weeks. If someone is trying to sleep when the pump run, forget it :-)
Loud to say the least.

Has anyone replaced the stock pump on a Jayco?

Nope.

I gave up on this years ago. Every camper and motorhome I've had has
done this if the pump is left on. It makes you think there is a leak
someplace, but there isn't. According to my late great father who was
something of a plumbing expert, it has to do with the pump itself not
holding the pressure on the line completely. The pressure actually leaks
back thru the pump valve until the pressure switch senses enough of a
drop to kick it on and bring the pressure back up in the
system......wait and repeat. Irritating, but once you verify there isn't
a leak in the line someplace, it's just the way it is.

Take care,
Greg
Jayco 32SS and liking it more each time we use it.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 2901
2006 Jayco Seneca HD 34 SS.
Mine went out in Reno last year. Gave up the ghost. I replaced it with a SHURflo with roughly the same specs.
I thought I could put in some dampeners at the same time, but the location of the mounting pretty much precluded doing anything. I still have some kinks from the postures I was in! At the end of the replacement I thought I was lucky to get out of it with just a few cramps. If anyone thought of a way to do this I would love to hear it.
So what did I do? I hate to admit this but there are two problems. One is that it sounds like a Jake Brake. But as important is - (Two) is that it drains battery like nothing else in the coach. Result: So I put a plastic water bottle next to the sink and use that on battery. That way that 2am visit does not wake up the camp or anyone else in the coach.
There is only one good piece of news in this story. It is actually a lot louder in the coach then outside. So you feel bad, but the truth is the noise does not carry too far from the rig. At least that is what I told my wife - and I am sticking to it.
Kevin
Jayco Seneca HD 34 SS 2006
35.97618N, 114.85245W

center
From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2009 8:40 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Water pump

left

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 2904
Kevin, the pump sure does sound like a Jake (compression) brake
alright. I was thinking of jutting in some pipe wrap to dampen it but
wondered how effective it would be. I held the pump tight and had DW
turn on a tap. Virtually no difference in the noise.

Greg, thanks for the comments - misery loves company and it seems we
are all in the same boat.

Your father's comments were interesting. I've told DW that we turn
the pump off when not in use.

Jeff, thanks for the link to the Flojet VSD. I'm going to look into
getting a quieter pump (but first I'll enlist my engineer son's help
to instal it - which means he will put it in and I will
"supervise."). When done, I'll report back on the results.

Tx

Don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 2906
, Don Leslie  wrote:

encounter this problem?

Tx

Don

We have the conquest by Gulfstream. Yes the pump is loud, and yes it does bump up the pressure every few hours. When we bought the rig we had a couple small water leaks (one where some Yutz had put a staple through the water line while putting trim on) but we seem to be water tight now and it still bumps up every once in a while. I think the issue may be that the pump itself isn't pressure tight, so when it's not running, it alows a little (we're talking microscopic) backflow and thus periodicaly needs to bring back up the pressure.
We dry camp almost exclusively about 15 weekends a year, (plus a 10 day elk season) so our pump gets a real workout. My biggest complaint is that the tank fill goose neck is so fubar that you can't fill the tank with anything but an actual pressureized hose.
Fixed that this weekend. used a hole saw to cut a plug out of the top corner of the tank, vacumed out the shaveings, and used a rubber screw plug (compression plug) to cap it. Now if I have to fill the tank I can use some tygon tubeing and a funnel inside the coach. We are often in places where there's water available, but not close enough to hook a hose up.
ON Noise. I placed a box with acoustic deadening foam that we use in the electronics industry around the pump, that helps a little, my next step is to swipe from work or make some sound mounts and unbolt the pump, then rebolt with sound mounts to see if that helps.
Morrigan

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 2908
No, mine is noisier than yours... bad.

If you have an icemaker... it may be filling the tray... if you have a/c power or running the generator.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 2912
Don:
Do you have an ice maker? If you do you are hearing it refill if you don't have any leaks elsewhere.
Dennis

Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2009 9:39:52 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Water pump

encounter this problem?

Tx

Don

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 2913
Icemaker? In a lowly Greyhawk? :)

No. But, we were fed up not having one at home so bought a new fridge a month ago. When we moved last year we left ours behind and the place we bought had a fridge with bottom freezer and no water and ice. Fixed that. Now have a big backup fridge in the basement next to a standup freezer. Not sure what DW is going to do with all the space - but I'm sure she will fill it. :)

Do

On 23-Aug-09, at 10:19 PM, Dennis Bradford wrote:

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 2915
Not sure this has been brought up yet but I have done this on every RV I have owned over the past 15 years. Most manufacturers run hard lines to the pump. I add a flex hose (the braided type, even plastic flex ones) on each side of the pump. Maybe 18" or so and I make a loop with it on each side of the pump. This takes a ton of the hammer out. In addition to this I add an expansion tank (2.5 or 5 gal.) to the out side of the pump. These are the tanks that you see used on Reverse Osmosis systems under kitchen sinks. This pretty much eliminates all hammer and noise. The plus side is there is enough built up pressure/water in the tank that water pump does not come on at night when someone flushes.

Fixit

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 2924
Attachments :

Fixit - What a great post. It caused me to go down below and have a look. Here is the shot.

I did this in reference to checking what it would take to do your solution. I also took a look at
    http://www.shurflo.com/pdf/rv/911_trouble_shooting/new/911-352-I.pdf
    Discovery number one is that two mounting screws were missing. (Sigh 1) The photo is after I replaced them. Second the installation notes state specifically NOT to use fixed plastic pipe:
    "SHURflo recommends at least 1ft. [.3 M] of _" [13mm] I.D. flexible high pressure tubing to both ports. Ideally the pumps ports/strainer should not be connected to plastic or rigid pipe.
    That is for noise and reliability. Guess what! Fixed plastic pipe. (Sigh 2) And third - the installation diagram shows an optional accumulator. Argh. The vendor (shurflo) was trying to help the OEM (Jayco).

Kevin
    Jayco Seneca HD 34 SS 2006
    35.23488N, 111.57775W

center
    From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of mrfixit454
    Sent: Sunday, August 23, 2009 8:34 PM
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Water pump

Not sure this has been brought up yet but I have done this on every RV I have owned over the past 15 years. Most manufacturers run hard lines to the pump. I add a flex hose (the braided type, even plastic flex ones) on each side of the pump. Maybe 18" or so and I make a loop with it on each side of the pump. This takes a ton of the hammer out. In addition to this I add an expansion tank (2.5 or 5 gal.) to the out side of the pump. These are the tanks that you see used on Reverse Osmosis systems under kitchen sinks. This pretty much eliminates all hammer and noise. The plus side is there is enough built up pressure/water in the tank that water pump does not come on at night when someone flushes.
    Fixit

Reply #11
    Yahoo Message Number: 2925
    Thanks Kevin, so you have less pump noise now? You have to make sure the flex hoses do not touch anything either (at least a hard wall that can amplify the sound) I wish the manufacturers would do this simple procedure as it does not take too many parts. And like the installation instructions said.. for reliability. RV manufacturers like to cut corners so I always read the install directions for all components. A/C and heat are the big ones. Wrong size ducts, placement of registers and number of registers on each run are sometimes not followed.

Great pictures by the way. I usually document all my projects and have never done this one. Also the accumulator they show (sold and RV stores) is kind of small. I think it will help with the hammer problem but will not have much reserve between pump cycles. What I like is when I put my RV back in storage and I shut off all the power, I can still wash my hands after the power is off with the stored pressure. The tank I bought was from Grainger and 2.5 gallons. My brother-in-law bought a 5 gal tank. If you have the room, go for the bigger tank and put a shutoff valve on the tank.

NOTE: IF YOU OPEN UP THE PLUMBING FOR REPAIRS OR TO FLUSH A WATER HEATER, DON'T FORGET TO CRACK A SINK VALVE TO RELIEVE THE PRESSURE OR AT LEAST TURN THE VALVE ON ON THE ACCUMULATOR TANK.

I learned the hard way while pulling the anode rod on my cold water heater!

Fixit