Skip to main content
Topic: Seneca front cap detaching (Read 444 times) previous topic - next topic

Seneca front cap detaching

Yahoo Message Number: 7401
Had a small leak in the cabover and decided to reseal the lip between the front cap and roof. I removed the existing Dicor (I assume) sealant and when I did almost every screw that secured the metal transition piece came out of the channel with the Dicor. The screws were extremely short and the channel was completely separated from the roof with complete removal of Dicor. It was as if the Dicor was the only thing holding this piece in place I replaced all screws
with rivets but was unable to grab any material of substance on the drivers side of the roof. The channel was not secured to the roof with the rivets. With a pending vacation trip in 5 days I replaced all the Dicor sealant and hoped for the best. On the trip the front cap must have flexed and the metal channel lifted along with the new Dicor sealant from the cap yet again. Does anyone know the structure beneath the front cap? Considering the length of the original screws my rivets should have been able to grab something to secure the transition piece. I am at a loss as how to repair this issue short of removing the interior cabinets and ceiling to see what is going on under the roof.

Re: Seneca front cap detaching

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7408
Scott,

Drill some more holes in the metal strip (just the strip) and use self drilling and self tapping screws. The water probably destroyed the old holes.

Dan

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7409
It's an all aluminum frame so the orginal screws probably stripped out. As Dan said it would just go on either side of the orignal hole and drill another (small) hole to see if you hit something solid. You can leave the rivets in the original holes and seal the tops of them.

Dave Sparke

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 7411

I am sure they would have overtorqued them at the factory anyway.

~
Victor Burns | KI6IM
2008 Kodiak Dutchmen Diesel 34H