Skip to main content
Topic: SENECA battery relay for coach (Read 554 times) previous topic - next topic

SENECA battery relay for coach

Yahoo Message Number: 6015

Do you SENECA owners know that the battery isolation relay automatically connects the chassis batteries and the coach batteries together as needed when they are being charged. I pulled up the web site after a post on RV NET.

Found this a very interesting read:

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/Documents/PDF%20Documents/00-10021-000BatteryIsolationManageManualX2.pdf

Dave Sparke

Re: SENECA battery relay for coach

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 6016
Dave, this is not uncommon. We could do this on our 04 Journey 39W and Ambassador 40PLQ. We first saw this done in 2004 our our dealer when we were looking at DP's. One would not start so the salesman used the house batteries. Since it was connected to shore power he then used a wedge to keep the switch "on."

When you have a push button switch it makes it much more difficult to do this than it is with a rocker switch that can take the wedge. Over the years I've heard comments that this isolation relay is not intended for extensive use like this or it can be damaged. This material seems to imply it is OK. Frankly, I don't know who the MH manufacturers don't all include chassis battery charging automatically.

Don

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 6017
I know the 01 Desinger had the aux start button but it didn't have the fancy isolation relay for charging. There was just another relay under the hood that would connect the two when the ign was on or when you pushed the button. Chassis battery only charged when engine was running not while parked.
I found it interesting that this one senses the voltage differential and does the connection automatically for charging the chassis battery when parked and hooked to shore power.
Didn't know I had it! Dave Sparke --- On Thu, 12/16/10, Don Leslie  wrote: From: Don Leslie Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] SENECA battery relay for coachTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.comDate: Thursday, December 16, 2010, 2:58 PM
Dave, this is not uncommon.  We could do this on our 04 Journey 39W and Ambassador 40PLQ.   We first saw this done in 2004 our our dealer when we were looking at DP's.  One would not start so the salesman used the house batteries.  Since it was connected to shore power he then used a wedge to keep the switch "on."
When you have a push button switch it makes it much more difficult to do this than it is with a rocker switch that can take the wedge.   Over the years I've heard comments that this isolation relay is not intended for extensive use like this or it can be damaged.  This material seems to imply it is OK.    Frankly, I don't know who the MH manufacturers don't all include chassis battery charging automatically.
Don
On 2010-12-16, at 1:27 PM, Dave Sparke wrote:
Do you SENECA owners know that the battery isolation relay automatically connects the chassis batteries and the coach batteries together as needed when they are being charged.  I pulled up the web site after a post on RV NET.
Found this a very interesting read:
http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/Documents/PDF%20Documents/00-10021-000BatteryIsolationManageManualX2.pdf
 Dave Sparke

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 6018
Is this in all Senecas? Then why did our coach battery go dead? When we were plugged in to electricity.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 6020
Dave,
I'm new to this forum and yours is the first post I read. I just put my coach (09' Seneca 36FS) in storage yesterday and was planning to go back and put a battery tender on the chassis batteries. Looks like I've already got everything needed to keep charged.
thanks,
Rich