Skip to main content
Topic: shaking mirrors (Read 765 times) previous topic - next topic

shaking mirrors

Yahoo Message Number: 11048
My brother just picked up a 2007 Jayco Seneca bunkhouse last weekend. He drove it back from Phoenix to Houston, with no major problems.

He told me the upper mirrors on both sides shake so much they are useless. The mirrors on my 06 shake some but are still usable. Does any body have any ideas to fix the mirror shake? I did some searching on the net and all if found was it is a crappy design.

He also said that there was a lot of wind noise coming through the door gaskets. Is there anyway to adjust the doors?

We now have 3 seneca's in the family, my 06 36GS, my brothers 36FS, and my dad's 08 36GS.

Re: shaking mirrors

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 11049
Sounds to me like a surname change is coming - to Seneca.

I had a 2007 Jayco on Grayhawk (same cab) and we had NO problems with the mirrors shaking. So there must be something that needs tightening.

We didn't have much wind noise through the doors, but had a lot of drive train whine and it was irritating.

I assume your brother will be signing into the group?

OH, and your father............ is he a member of the group? :)

Don

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 11050
Don Leslie wrote:

I had a 2007 Jayco on Grayhawk (same cab) and we had NO problems with
the mirrors shaking. So there must be something that needs tightening.

Mine is identical to Don's, came off the line about two weeks after I
think, and I've had no mirror issues.

We didn't have much wind noise through the doors, but had a lot of drive
train whine and it was irritating.

I'll say! You had yours changed and it started whining again didn't it?
I had the truck mechanic drive mine and he just shrugged his shoulders
and said it sounded like all the others, but the difference was I had
this giant sound box built right over it.

With that many in one family, they'll probably start their own!

Greg

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 11051
I doubt I will get either of them to sign up here. They just tell me it is easier to ask me to find the information. I forgot that one of my friends has a Seneca 35ZX also.

He told me he could grab the top of the door and put a little pressure inward and would reduce the noise some. I thought I had read on here where somebody had adjusted the door striker.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 12:53 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] shaking mirrors

Sounds to me like a surname change is coming - to Seneca.

I had a 2007 Jayco on Grayhawk (same cab) and we had NO problems with the mirrors shaking. So there must be something that needs tightening.

We didn't have much wind noise through the doors, but had a lot of drive train whine and it was irritating.

Don

On 2013-04-29, at 1:45 PM,

My brother just picked up a 2007 Jayco Seneca bunkhouse last weekend. He drove it back from Phoenix to Houston, with no major problems.

He told me the upper mirrors on both sides shake so much they are useless. The mirrors on my 06 shake some but are still usable. Does any body have any ideas to fix the mirror shake? I did some searching on the net and all if found was it is a crappy design.

He also said that there was a lot of wind noise coming through the door gaskets. Is there anyway to adjust the doors?

We now have 3 seneca's in the family, my 06 36GS, my brothers 36FS, and my dad's 08 36GS.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 11052
My GS Endura has rock solid mirrors, no jiggle at all but at times I do get some wind noise past the door gaskets. Especially if I'm going into a headwind. When going with the wind there is no sound.I may try adding some foam gasket material at the top of the door.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 11053
It isn't the mirror housing that is shaking, it is the upper piece of mirror glass. The lower spot mirror is solid and doesn't shake.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Glen Schmidt
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 1:48 PM

My GS Endura has rock solid mirrors, no jiggle at all but at times I do get some wind noise past the door gaskets. Especially if I'm going into a headwind. When going with the wind there is no sound.I may try adding some foam gasket material at the top of the door.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 11054

x2 on the GS Endura wind noise at the entry door. My mirrors are rock solid though...

Steven Kerns

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 11055
Attachments :

Here is Ron's post from March 2012 on the wind noise subject:
    http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/message/8653
    Greg
    MN

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Steven Kerns
    Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 2:04 PM

x2 on the GS Endura wind noise at the entry door. My mirrors are rock solid though...

Steven Kerns

Reply #8
    Yahoo Message Number: 11056
    Wind noise is a common problem. Glad I fix mine with gorilla tape. I did help another owner by lowering window and with door open pulling top of door inward.
    Wish I knew a way to fix the mirrors. Mine are OK. But many are not.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #9
    Yahoo Message Number: 11057
    The upper mirrors are the powered movement units and could have loose mounting screws or such?

Reply #10
    Yahoo Message Number: 11058
    Freightliner uses the same mirrors. Anyone got a dealer near them. That they could stop at and get some info.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #11
    Yahoo Message Number: 11059
    My passenger mirror wouldnt move. The RV repair shop said it was probably the motor in the mirror. I asked him how in the world would u get to the motor.
    He said u have to be carefully but the moveable glass pops out I would assume it snaps back in Maybe a clip is broke. Interesting I hope this helps.

Reply #12
    Yahoo Message Number: 11061
    Ron,

What are you meaning by gorilla tape? I did a search and came up with duct tape. Do you have any pictures of what you did? We are thinking of adding some gasket material to the inside of the door frame.

Ronnie

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ronjhallsr
    Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 4:46 PM
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: shaking mirrors

Wind noise is a common problem. Glad I fix mine with gorilla tape. I did help another owner by lowering window and with door open pulling top of door inward.
    Wish I knew a way to fix the mirrors. Mine are OK. But many are not.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #13
    Yahoo Message Number: 11063
    Gorilla tape is double the thickness of duct tape. It also sticks better.
    I put it on the door side of seal.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #14
    Yahoo Message Number: 11077
    I just drove my rig to get it washed and noticed the right mirror shakes some.
    Now I am interested in a fix too!!!
    Anyone get theirs done to a state of satisfaction?

Reply #16
    Yahoo Message Number: 11084
    That was for a wind noise at the door was it not?
    I am interested in the mirror shake problem.
    If gorilla tape is the fix please describe how to do it.

Reply #17
    Yahoo Message Number: 11109
    Anyone know of a fix for the shaking mirrors ?
    I started noticing this as well..
    Thanks
    Bruce