Skip to main content
Topic: Starting a trip (Read 414 times) previous topic - next topic

Starting a trip

Yahoo Message Number: 7186
We start our first real "trip" with the Motorhome this week. We will be starting at a theme park in northern Idaho then to Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, another theme park in Denver, the Grand Canyon and then probably Moab before heading toward home. We are planning to be gone a month. We have taken a few shorter trips but never anything this long in time or distance. We will be traveling with our daughter and her husband and 2 of our grandsons ages 12 and 14 for most of the trip. They will be going to San Diego for a Soccer Tournament when we leave the Grand Canyon and we are not going to follow them. They will be in their Motorhome. For half of the trip my son-in-law's parents will also be with us in their Motorhome. This trip will also be unusual for us as we almost always boondock (usually in the snow and freezing weather) and on this trip we even have reserved campsite most of the time. We will be pulling our Jeep Wrangler and will have 2 small dogs with us. So any advice? I have no idea what to expect as we have never done this type of traveling before. If anyone has anything they have learned the hard way that they would like to share, I would love to hear it. I am too old to learn things the hard way anymore. Thanks for your suggestions.

Gail and Dave
2009 Jayco Seneca HD 35GS
2011 Jeep Wrangler

Re: Starting a trip

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7187
When traveling with a group. Make sure you are all on the same page. How fast to travel, fuel stops, rest stops etc. Nothing worse than everyone having a different plan.
We use Passport America for our travels. But this may not work well for you this time of year.
Enjoy the features that you have on your MH when having FHU's.
We plan each day the night before. Especially fuel stops. Need a place that will allow a long MH and toad to get into and out of pumps. Even more of a challenge when 3 RV's are traveling together.
We we traveled to Big Bend NP with Russ and Kevin we used a set of FRS radio's. Worked great even if we got operated by over a mile or 2.
Enjoy your trip. Oh, you know we all want pictures.
Best
Ron Hall

Re: Starting a trip

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7189

Sounds like a great agenda for the next month. My only advice is to be prepared for the unexpected. I trip of that length with multiple vehicles means the likelyhood that someone may experience some type of roadway incident is possible. I agree with Ron. Patience and communication will be the key. You may want to discuss contingency plans should someone experience a roadside breakdown or flat tire. Having all three units parked alongside of the interstate with kids and dogs may not be the safest idea. Maybe agree to have others stop at the next available town or park.

Enjoy the trip
Bob Erwin