Skip to main content
Topic: Considering buying a Seneca GS (Read 781 times) previous topic - next topic

Considering buying a Seneca GS

Yahoo Message Number: 2763
Hello,

I am in the market for an RV and have considered the Jayco Seneca. I would would very much like to hear your opinions about your Kodiak Chassis Class C's. What do you like and what do you wish they had? Any problems?

Also, do you know of any good used RV's for sale?

I sure appreciate your help in advance.

Sandy

Re: Considering buying a Seneca GS

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2764
Sandy, what type of RV's (if any) have you had in the past?

Don

On 16-Jul-09, at 11:56 AM, sstephens511 wrote:

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2765

The motorhomes I've had in the past include a 2000 Class C Jayco and more recently a Class A Winnebago 38T....both gas.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 2766
The Seneca is a good unit. Like all RV's they have a few problems, but overall Jayco does a good job for the money and is still in business. If you have read anywhere about the Seneca, most would say the chassis is the biggest thing that needs a little upgrading. Most have upgraded a few things like shocks, sway bars and a few other things. I would give the overall unit high marks. The 6.6 diesel engine is very good. What area do you live?

Keith

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 2769

Does the upgrading indicate that the rig is a little too big for the chassis?

I'm in the Kansas City area currently but would travel to see certain motorhomes that I may be interested in.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 2770
Maybe a little, but make sure the one u buy has 19,000 lbs springs. They are good units and u will not be unhappy. There are better units but a lot more $$$ There is a really good deal on a used Volvo Showhauler that the owner of the dealership owned in Las Vegas. Think it is on patclark.com or google it. Think it is around $165 with 45,000 mile, but really upgraded. Prob around $300,000 new.
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 18:35:21 -0700 (PDT)
To:
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Considering buying a Seneca GS

Does the upgrading indicate that the rig is a little too big for the chassis?

I'm in the Kansas City area currently but would travel to see certain motorhomes that I may be interested in.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 2772
We are thinking of selling our Seneca 36FS (with bunk beds for kids).
We bought it a year ago, took it from CA to NJ and back while my
husband was out of work, and now that he is working again, we rarely
use it and it it just taking up space. Great rig, our first and it
was very reliable. We are in Southern California, I would be sad to
see it go, I always wanted an RV, but we are just hanging around the
house people on the weekends!

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 2773
, Kozma  wrote:

Have you ever measured it bumper to bumper? I see conflicting #'s in some of the brochures. What year is yours?

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 2774
I have the Dutchmen version of this coach 2008 34H it comes in 2' shorter at and actual 34' - on purpose as I wanted to stay at 34' total length. The new 2009 36' Seneca is 38' long!

Anyway we love it - 5,700 miles so far. 2008 Diesel with all the goodies, and most of the upgrades. $141K sticker price and I got new from the dealer at $65K + tax/lic/doc fees etc. We could not resist.

The kids love the bunk beds too! Tons of power, loaded up the steepest grades here like the Grapevine 65MPH with zero slowing.

I highly recommend the form factor of the 36SS or Dutchmen 34H. I will be doing some Koni shock upgrades and maybe swaybars? but actually on the open road the ride is fine - its around town where the body sway is noticeable. My problem is when you slow th ebody roll - it puts additional pressures on things to take more pressures than now...so I awaiting judgmental on doing it or not...

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 2977
yeah...and?

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 6:36:12 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re:Considering buying a Seneca GS

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 3055
I was reading some old posts and came across this one where Sandy was looking for a Jayco Seneca. Wasn't sure if you found one yet, but Mike Furr is trying to sell an 07 Jayco 32ss Gaser and might be willing to deal. Mike, have you posted any pictures of the rig anywhere? They say a picture is worth a thousand....

Sitting on the side lines
Bob

Here is what Mike has:

I bought this unit new on April 21, 2007. The chassis was made in October of 2006 which makes it a2007 chassis and the unit was made by Jayco on December 4th of 2006. It is titled as a 2007 model. It is an 8.1L Chevy V8 gas burner, and it does have the 6 speed Allison transmission. The factory sticker or build sheet showed a full retail of $108,104.00 and we paid $78,000.00 for it.
I have made several improvements including, fixing the jacks where they don't retract when you turn on the key, a new Aqua Jet ES ll water pump, sealing all holes going to the outside and underneath, putting round foam insulation around all the water lines inside and out (that I could reach) to stop shaking and noise, ran a fused 40 Amp line inside (to a fused bus) to use for auxiliary power as needed, installed an air filter restriction gauge, and numerous other minor improvements.

It is not kept inside but it has been washed regularly, waxed twice, and the roof has been cleaned and treated with a rubber roof conditioner at least every 3 months. I have had no leaks and so far have for I have not found any places that needed repair or sealing etc.

I have greased this vehicle 3 times, changed the oil and filter 3 times using Havoline 5W-30 oil and Wix filters (last change July of 2009) and I serviced the transmission at 5,000 miles with a new Allison spin on filter and topped it off with about a half pint or so of Transynd from an Allison dealer. This unit has 5,150 total miles on it and the Generator has 45 hours total time. The Onan 5500 generator oil and filter have been changed twice. I drive this vehicle every 4 to 6 weeks (when not being used) on a 65 mile round trip near my home to run it and exercise the generator.

I also have a 2007 Honda CRV EX 2 wheel drive setup for towing with a Blue Ox base plate, Aventa LX tow bar, Protect-A-Tow rock guard, US Gear UTB-100 brake system and towing accessories totaling $2,000. I installed the brake system myself at night in my shop and it took me about 20 hours, but I did it the "RIGHT" way. This car cost $23, 445.00 plus tax when new. It has 17,000 miles on it and only has 700 towing miles. It tows very well and the brake system works great so far, but I have not got many miles of use on it.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on a good price in today's market? I can sell each separately or both together as a package. I know I am going to take a beating, but I can't just let it sit here and not use it. I really don't want to sell the CRV, but I don't want to fool with taking the brake system and other equipment out of it to sell those separately. If I sell it as a package we will probably get another CRV. I was thinking around $75,000 for both.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2009 10:56:08 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Considering buying a Seneca GS

Hello,

I am in the market for an RV and have considered the Jayco Seneca. I would would very much like to hear your opinions about your Kodiak Chassis Class C's. What do you like and what do you wish they had? Any problems?

Also, do you know of any good used RV's for sale?

I sure appreciate your help in advance.

Sandy