Skip to main content
Topic: More Power! AC/DC (Read 959 times) previous topic - next topic

More Power! AC/DC

Yahoo Message Number: 16653
Attachments :

Excited to share the progress our Kodiak flat bed, we got the generator mounted and now are starting to tie in the power circuits.
    The generator came out of the Super C we salvaged few years ago now. I also picked up a 6month old set of 4 of Trojan T-105Pus batteries, to use for trailer power at night.
    The goal is to be able to run the microwave, or coffee maker off the battery bank. I have my eye on an AIMS Pure Sine Wave inverter/charger 4000w.

Any tips on working with the Trojan batteries?

Kendrick

More power! AC/DC

Reply #1
    Yahoo Message Number: 16654
    Excited to share the progress our Kodiak flat bed, we got the generator mounted and now are starting to tie in the power circuits.
    The generator came out of the Super C we salvaged few years ago now. I also picked up a 6month old set of 4 of Trojan T-105Pus batteries, to use for trailer power at night.
    The goal is to be able to run the microwave, or coffee maker off the battery bank. I have my eye on an AIMS Pure Sine Wave inverter/charger 4000w.

Any tips on working with the Trojan batteries?

Kendrick

Re: More power! AC/DC

Reply #2
    Yahoo Message Number: 16657
    4 batteries will generally run a 2000 watt inverter. To run AC. It is not recommended. That's what the generator is for. Make sure you have large enough wire. I used 2/0 wire for everything on inverter and batteries. May have to down size wire at inverter. But that's ok because it will be a short distance.
    I used a xantrex sw2000 in my MH. Good for quick coffee and TV/ audio system. Microwaves need lots of good power. A 2000 watt inverter will run one if it has a surge rating. Usually 3000 Watts.
    You want a multi stage charger. So it will charge the batteries quickly. When charged the maintain voltage should be around 13 volts. Anything over 13.2 will boil water away in batteries.
    I will look at the model inverter you are looking at.

Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #3
    Yahoo Message Number: 16658
    I like the Aims 3000 watt pure sine wave inverter. Seems to have better charging.

Best
    Ron Hall

Re: More power! AC/DC [2 Attachments]

Reply #4
    Yahoo Message Number: 16659
    You only need a 2000 watt inverter to run the microwave...you don't want to run too large of an inverter they are less efficient the further away from capacity they are.

I run 2-100watt solar panels 4-6volts and a 2000 watt inverter and I can run the entire coach except for the AC.

Check out handy bob solar for info on the Trojans. He has all the charge profiles for Trojans. Biggest thing is wiring..when in doubt go two sizes bigger in the wire

Reply #5
    Yahoo Message Number: 16660
    According to the manual the 240V model needs 240 volts to charge. Your
    generator will do this. But if you want to plug in with a cord it will
    need to be a RV 50 amp. Which is 240 volt or 2 lines of 120. From the
    manual it looks like it can have all 120 volt output. No sure how that
    is done. Must be a switch to adjust this. Make sure you get it right.

Other than needing 240 volts to charge. It looks like a good deal. Here
    is where I got the info from.

https://invertersrus.com/product/aims-picoglf40w12v240vs/

--
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #6
    Yahoo Message Number: 16661
    So I called them and they said it will work on 120 to charge also, but i didnt get that confident feeling you get when talking to someone on the phone. Im going to call back again and see if i get another agent and verify. I can get the unit for a great price about half of what its going for online, and it looks like a fully featured unit.

Reply #7
    Yahoo Message Number: 16662
    I have that same inverter on my BBQ Trailer. Works great. I use it to run a commercial refrigerator. Mine will do 120v or 240v. I have it connected to 120v.

Luke Pye

Reply #9
    Yahoo Message Number: 16664
    I made a mistake on your generator. It does not produce 240 volts. It is
    a 120 volt generator that is sent out as two 120 volt lines. This will
    not run anything 240 volts.

--
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #10
    Yahoo Message Number: 16666
    The guy with the Inverter also made a mistake it is a 120v only unit. So in the end it will all work out.

Reply #11
    Yahoo Message Number: 16673
    Good news. For others information. All Onan RV generators are 120 volts below 10 kw. There are some special order ones. But rare on RV's.

Best
    Ron Hall