Skip to main content
Topic: Flat towing a 2006 Honda Pilot and load capacit... (Read 423 times) previous topic - next topic

Flat towing a 2006 Honda Pilot and load capacit...

Yahoo Message Number: 6961

When I look at the specs for the Allison MH1000 and 2000 series transmissions, all the specs are the same except the 1000 has a deep and shallow oil pan spec where the 2000 only has the deep. Is the oil cooling capacity the limiting factor in the amount of weight these transmissions can carry and tow?

http://www.allisontransmission.com/servlet/DownloadFile?Dir=publications/pubs&FileToGet=SA3362EN.pdf

Re: Flat towing a 2006 Honda Pilot and load capacit...

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 6962
We have the deep pan in our Kodiak's. Cooling is not the problem. Trans will probably handle up to 30,000 lbs. Other items like tires, springs and frame are the limiting factors. Same trans is used in Workhorse chassis based MH's with GCWR of 30,000 lbs.
Another factor with weight ratings is over 26,000 on many chassis requires a different driver license in some states.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 6969

"Another factor with weight ratings is over 26,000 on many chassis requires a different driver license in some states."

Exaclty - California is one of those states...Anything over 26k

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 6970
Unfortunately we are anything over 11,000 KG (24,250 lbs) (including anything being towed). If you tow anything over 4600 KG (10,141 lbs you need an A license - same as tractor trailer drivers. Our gasser and Tahoe were fine but our two DPs were way over. This horrified the 5er guys and they backed off a bit by saying the applicable weight would be the weight on the wheels when connected to the two vehicle. That made a huge difference. I got them to make a change as well - the weight for enforcement is the actual weight of the MH and toad not the GVWR. I pointed out that if I added the GVWR's of my MH and toad I'd get a number I wouldn't every approach. For once they listened.

When doing my research on this I noted many states give an outright exemption on the DOT 26000 which applies to vehicles for commercial use only. You may have seen the report from a fellow in Texas on RV.net a couple of years ago. He was a photographer and used his A Class to travel around. He decided there was no reason not to advertise on it and had a commercial paint job done promoting his expertise with a camera. Well, that pushed him into the CDL license category and he got his knuckles rapped.

It is amazing how different the requirements are, yet our provinces and all but three states have got reciprocal arrangements whereby they accept the licensing requirements of other jurisdictions. A notable that doesn't is Georgia so I don't know what that means - are all non-Georgians driving there unlawfully then?

Ontario is part of the deal and I've had to point out to the Minister of Transportation that it is strange that an 85 year old from Florida driving with a standard operators license can come to Ontario in his 45 ft Prevost towing his Hummer and driver freely throughout the province. But if I do the same thing it is considered dangerous and against the law.

When we took delivery of a 41 ft DP it came with a DVD that explained the MH and included a segment by the California HP explaining the licensing requirements for MH's over 40 ft and road restrictions. You need a different license for 40 ft BUT if you are from out of state and legal in your own jurisdiction, that's ok - come and visit us. :)

Don