Skip to main content
Topic: Fridge Door....Heat (Read 450 times) previous topic - next topic

Fridge Door....Heat

Yahoo Message Number: 7498

Don't think I got back on from April post to say I finally fixed
my fridge door. Did the metal stripe under bottom of door and
also under the freezer door. Used a lite metal that I could cut
with snips then used few screws in wood along with JB Weld.
Holding find so far. Soon as the thing takes out, it will be taken
out and some other brand put in.
Have installed the Safe-Steer from Camping World and although
the Seneca drove great, I can tell it holds a little more true now.
Plus wife feels much safer and I agree.

Now for a question? We camped this week in 96-100 degree heat.
Does anyone have an ideal to keep the sun off the side facing into
the sun? Is there a drop sheet that could be attached to the roof and
dropped down the side? Something that would be portable? The
evening west sun is what is the killer. Could feel the heat coming in
on that side. Put in the removable window film but did not help that
I could tell. Read where using the aluminum shades will melt the window
gaskets. Thought maybe the Az and New Mexico campers would
know some tips since their area is much sunnier than here. Any help
will be appreciated. Thanks for the info on above two items that sure
helped me out!!!

Re: Beat the Heat

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7499
Joe, I am really interested in the replies you get on this one as well. As some know we have had to stay in Texas because Sandy's Mom was ill. (We usually RUN AWAY!) So far it is a record breaking summer and drought. We have the most continuous days over 100 in recorded history. We are regularly seeing 104 - 107 with humidity and compartment temperatures on the sunny side into the 117 range. The worst part is we are seeing more hours above 100, and there is little cool down at night with morning temperatures still in the 80s. On its own this would not be bad except that the humidity increases. Enough whining. Sometimes you just can't get out of Dodge.

Sight selection: is the first thing you want to do. Take the extra time to tour and pick your spot. Look for the shade trees, angle of the site etc.

Placement is key: On our unit we have a fiberglass cap on the back, that has space between the rear bedroom and serves as a great insulator. Point that toward the setting sun! IF you cannot or you are broadside to the sun - make sure the Awning is pointing offset to the West. We angle ours down to make sure that we get as much shade from this as possible in those afternoon evening hours. If I have to work outside I move my table to the shady side, even if it is on the hookup side, and we sometimes park opposite to the hookups and run extra long to get the angle we want. Your neighbor may never know as they are hiding from the heat! Mad Dogs, Englishmen, and RVers...

Leave Slides In: We love our slides, and the room is great. But just like in the worst weather or very cold winter days, consider leaving your slides in. Very hard to keep that extra surface area clear of the sun, and you are just exposing more warming surfaces to the outside. We had a very hot day last summer on the boarder of Arizona and California. Leaving the slides in can really help. We also barricade the cab. Hang a blocking comforter to cut it off. Less square feet to cool.

Take Care: I have refused to let the heat slow me down, and I am still doing projects and putting up antennas. I make batches of Sun Tea, and then I mix them 1/2 and 1/2 with juice and keep this going all day. Take breaks when I sweat through. Just keep that Arnold Palmer coming. Start about 30 minutes before you start working, and forget the coffee.

Air Conditioner Breaks: It happened to us a few days ago - Bedroom Unit. Very similar to what happened to our main Main Unit in the Dakotas two years ago. The start up capacitor blew spectacularly. You know it immediately by the smell. I sent Sandy shopping, and got a local repair guy to do a drive by. One new capacitor later we were up and running. I may carry one of these as a spare. Maybe cannibalize one from an old unit just in case. Having two units is a blessing, and at one does a good job until you get above 100. Get some of that filter material and just replace your filters.

That is about it. Love to hear what other folks are doing.

Kevin (Medium Rare) McCoy

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7500

Pretty well use the tricks but am now thinking about installing a canopy on the driver side
with some mods to have it shade whole side. Also do a roof top drop sheet that is made of the heat material that reflects. Will just keep brain storming for now and see what all can be thought of. Thanks for the response Kevin.....

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 7506
Keep us posted. Looking for anything that works here.

Signed - Toasty in Texas

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 7508
I too have been trying to think of some way to protect the refrigerator side or area that was easy to put up and down, to
try to take some stress off the frig !!!