Skip to main content
Topic: 2. Battery Minder (Read 396 times) previous topic - next topic

2. Battery Minder

Yahoo Message Number: 7154
Installing the Battery Minder
My plan is to install the Battery Minder in the storage compartment directly next to the cab battery tray.I mount a thin piece of plywood to the surface, and mount the Battery Minder to that:

Mounted Battery Minder

I drilled a ¾ Inch hole and used a Conduit holder to mount the split loom tube to carry the DC charge voltage to the Cab Batteries.A tad overkill here.

Split Loom Junction
The Split loom carries the charge voltage to the cab batteries.I have wrapped the split loom with Yellow tape to make it more visible in these photographs.

Split loom tube from charger to batteries under step
Previously we had hooked up the chargers to the batteries, and we can go ahead and connect them now. My plan is to provide a socket to plug the battery minder into in the forward compartment. For the time being I am going to test everything out with an extension cord. This proves the charger is working, and I monitor charging and float voltages via the Automatic Generator Control Console.
The test goes well, but there is power outage while we are away. In this extreme case the battery minder defaulted to 2A charging when power was restored. Unfortunately this is not enough juice for these two big boys. Nevertheless, the voltage reported on the batteries was very good when we returned.
Next - On to installing the power

Re: 2. Battery Minder

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7157
Great Report Kevin.
I must be getting lazy in my old age. Got a Duracell auto battery charger from Target a few years ago. It came with all types of connectors. Including a cigarette plug. I plugged it into the rear socket of center console. It has been there for over 5 years. With my fingers crossed, knocking on wood and all that other stuff for good luck. I am still using my OEM batteries. But I do not live in a high heat area either. My mother has a 2000 Buick Regal. Still on original battery.
I have not opened my battery drawer in over 2 years. Another item to add to the list of things to do this summer.
Back to your First post. I would remove the top connection in red plastic box under hood. I cannot think of a disconnect switch that would be good enough for the load that starting the engine will require. You can get almost anything. But it's something else to go bad.
Best
Ron Hall