Skip to main content
Topic: 1st Oil Change on Onan Gen 6000 & Gas Cap (Read 546 times) previous topic - next topic

1st Oil Change on Onan Gen 6000 & Gas Cap

Yahoo Message Number: 7810
Attempted to do the first oil change on our Onan 6000 Gen today. The oil drain refuses to let loose. We broke 2 sockets and have now rounded the edges of the nut. Tomorrow we are going to get a new deep well socket and hope it works. Any other ideas for us. Also, the oil filter was painted gray and so there are no numbers on it. The oil filter the shop sold us is not the correct one. It is too big. And the book does not tell us anywhere which oil filter to purchase. So if anyone has any ideas on that also, we would be grateful for your help.

As we were searching for the oil filter, we also talked to the 4 different shops we visited about the problem with the vacuum in the fuel tank that we temporarily solved by leaving the fuel cap loose. None of they had any ideas except the actual semi truck shop. They said the fuel tank should have a vent on it with a ball valve that prevents fuel from leaving the tank but allows air into the tank. We haven't looked for that yet but will look for it before we purchase the new fuel cap. Plus Amazon which sells the fuel cap said it wouldn't fit our C5500 chassis. Ahhhh. Some days it doesn't pay to get up.

Any help with the oil change would be appreciated. Will keep you posted if we figure out anything else on the vacuum in the fuel tank.

Re: 1st Oil Change on Onan Gen 6000 & Gas Cap

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7811
Dave
You could check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/album/97709396/pic/list or search Diesel Onan Oil Change
in the photo section it may help. The filter that is "too big" may infact be a better choice if it screws on and the rubber ring seals properly, there is more filter area in them than the factory one. Seems to me I used a six point deep socket to get mine out the first time .
hope this helps
later brad

To: "kodiakchassisclassC@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Friday, October 7, 2011 10:18:27 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] 1st Oil Change on Onan Gen 6000 & Gas Cap

Attempted to do the first oil change on our Onan 6000 Gen today. The oil drain refuses to let loose. We broke 2 sockets and have now rounded the edges of the nut. Tomorrow we are going to get a new deep well socket and hope it works. Any other ideas for us. Also, the oil filter was painted gray and so there are no numbers on it. The oil filter the shop sold us is not the correct one. It is too big. And the book does not tell us anywhere which oil filter to purchase. So if anyone has any ideas on that also, we would be grateful for your help.

As we were searching for the oil filter, we also talked to the 4 different shops we visited about the problem with the vacuum in the fuel tank that we temporarily solved by leaving the fuel cap loose. None of they had any ideas except the actual semi truck shop. They said the fuel tank should have a vent on it with a ball valve that prevents fuel from leaving the tank but allows air into the tank. We haven't looked for that yet but will look for it before we purchase the new fuel cap. Plus Amazon which sells the fuel cap said it wouldn't fit our C5500 chassis. Ahhhh. Some days it doesn't pay to get up.

Any help with the oil change would be appreciated. Will keep you posted if we figure out anything else on the vacuum in the fuel tank.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7812
Near the starter switch is listed filter model number. Start gen to heat up a little and get breaker bar. From right side pull toward you. Had same exact issue on first change.

Keith
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 21:18:27 -0700 (PDT)
To: kodiakchassisclassC@yahoogroups.com
ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] 1st Oil Change on Onan Gen 6000 & Gas Cap

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 7814
I got the same "will not fit" info from Amazon. But got the info from a post on Diesel Place. It fits. If you are concerned purchase it from a auto store. You may not find the green one in stock. But the black one will fit just the same.

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 7815
I verified with Onan/Cummins that the filter has been made larger when I ran into the same issue. I thought the dealer sold me the wrong one because the part number changed..

Dave Sparke

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 7816
This is what is on onnan web site regarding oil filter

"

Customers have comments that the replacement oil filter (part #122-0833) they purchased for their Cummins Onan Quiet Diesels appears to be the wrong size. We hear this a lot! Filter #122-0833 has replaced filter #185-5801 and filter #185-5409. Despite the difference in outward appearance, it will fit your set and the oil ring will provide a proper seal"

Mo