Skip to main content
Topic: 05 GS Endursa diesel generator shuts down with 1/4 tank of fuel (Read 891 times) previous topic - next topic

05 GS Endursa diesel generator shuts down with 1/4 tank of fuel

Yahoo Message Number: 11142
Just an observation from over the weekend...

My 05 Endura's 5.5kw Onan generator quit running this Saturday at the race track. The fuel in the main tank showed 1/4 tank (as read on the driver's fuel gauge). Though it was a problem with the generator and tried to restart it a few time over the next day without luck.

On the way home I filled up with diesel. It took 65 gallons to fill. When I got back home the generator fired right up.

I assume GS built them this way so you could not run yourself dry in a remote area.

It was no fun racing in 94 degree weather without power for the AC units.

Steven Kerns

Re: 05 GS Endursa diesel generator shuts down with 1/4 tank of fuel

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 11143
That is correct. Genset will not run at 1/4 tank or below, to assure it doesn't run you dry.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 11144
You found out the hard way that you have to have over 1/4 tank of fuel for the generator to run. Yes this is so that you will have enough fuel to run the coach engine to get to a fuel stop. I try to top off the fuel tank if I plan on running generator while camping.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 11145
With our 05 Endura, they generator quits at just below ΒΌ tank so I assume they are designed that way. What kind of racing?

Jim Mantle

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Steven
Sent: June-02-13 3:48 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] 05 GS Endursa diesel generator shuts down with 1/4 tank of fuel

Just an observation from over the weekend...

My 05 Endura's 5.5kw Onan generator quit running this Saturday at the race track. The fuel in the main tank showed 1/4 tank (as read on the driver's fuel gauge). Though it was a problem with the generator and tried to restart it a few time over the next day without luck.

On the way home I filled up with diesel. It took 65 gallons to fill. When I got back home the generator fired right up.

I assume GS built them this way so you could not run yourself dry in a remote area.

It was no fun racing in 94 degree weather without power for the AC units.

Steven Kerns

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 11146
Hey any of you folks with an 05 Endura have any issues with your slide? We an not get ours in.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 11147
check your battery, make sure you're in park with the P.brake on. Either of those will keep it from working
Morrigan

Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 20:36:14 -0400
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] 05 GS Endursa diesel generator shuts down with 1/4 tank of fuel

Hey any of you folks with an 05 Endura have any issues with your slide? We an not get ours in.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 11149
We did that, motor working, have hydrolic fluid, but it will not come in. Had five guys try and lift in, no luck

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 11150
when it happened to me, the house batteries were so gone that they wouldn't accept a charge enough to run the stepper motors.
Morrigan

Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 21:33:22 -0400
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] 05 GS Endursa diesel generator shuts down with 1/4 tank of fuel

We did that, motor working, have hydrolic fluid, but it will not come in. Had five guys try and lift in, no luck

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 11151
I've had a few issues with mine. Running the generator while bringing it in usually did the trick. Is it trying, but doesn't have enough power? (Can you hear the pump motor slow down as if there is a load on it?) or is it not trying at all? I ended up replacing my wall switch. (Wasn't the problem) Then cleaning all of the wire connections for all of the solenoids on the pump. Still wasn't it. Ended up being a crusty blade fuse holder that was preventing the motor from getting good power. I replaced the in line fuse holder and fuse, problem solved. All of the wiring down there was pretty crusty, so I replaced the ground lug while I was at it. The hot wire was an orange wire if I remember correctly, heavy gage, down by the pump. My rig is also an 05 GS Endura. I've also had an occasional issue when the floor drops in flush, the side behind the drivers seat hangs up at the floor, and needs a little help to pop back up so it can slide back in. I have gotten under and lifted up on it, or gently used a pry bar to help it out when needed

Good luck with the fix.

Tony

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 11154
Check out Equalizer Systems site. http://equalizersystems.com/service/
Download the manual for your model MH. I had problems with rear slide. Manual explains how to bypass valves to get slides in or out if pump is running and slide will not move.
I never found out what was wrong with mine. But did take wiring connectors off valves, cleaned and reinstalled. No more problems.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 11156
When I put my motorhome up last fall, the generator worked fine. We put the batteries back in the coach, accidently blew a few fuses, replaced the fuses and everything works fine except the generator. It acts like it is not get any power at all. Any ideas?

Thanks
Alaska

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 11158
Don't forget to check the additional Circuit breaker on the generator itself.

Kevin

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 11160
Have you tried the breaker switch? I mean the on on the gerator next to the manual start up switch?
Sometimes that can trip and need to be reset.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 11166
Check the cables for that being power to generator. The are on the right end of generator. There should also be a HD circuit breaker that feeds the generator. It will be along with a couple of others of the same type. Mine are in the second compartment back from the front on drivers side.
I do not believe that the circuit breakers on front of generator will stop it from starting. Just will not send power to MH until they are reset.
My question would be, why did you have to replace fuses after installing batteries?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 11168
Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

ronjhallsr  wrote:

Check the cables for that being power to generator. The are on the right end of generator. There should also be a HD circuit breaker that feeds the generator. It will be along with a couple of others of the same type. Mine are in the second compartment back from the front on drivers side.
 I do not believe that the circuit breakers on front of generator will stop it from starting. Just will not send power to MH until they are reset.
 My question would be, why did you have to replace fuses after installing batteries?
 Best
 Ron Hall

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 11169
We run stock at the divisional races, tow a 24' enclosed trailer.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Steven Kerns
Sent: June-02-13 6:30 PM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] 05 GS Endursa diesel generator shuts down with 1/4 tank of fuel

Super Pro (1/4 mile) Dragster

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 11171
When we were putting the batteries back in a ground cable was put on positive briefly. Are there any cables that go from the generator all the way to the batteries?

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 11172
Yes, they are on right side of generator. There is manual in the files section of this forum for the Onan 5.5k QD.
Have you tried to start generator from it's own control panel next to the 2 circuit breakers?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 11174
I've tried to start the generator at the generator but there's no indication of any sort of power. I've checked fuses and circuit breakers

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 11175
Attachments :

If you go to the files section there is a 5.5 onan diesel repair manual in PDF format. Check out page 5-5 and the troubleshooting section 9. Per 5-5, there is a mini bayonet fuse in the wiring harness near the starter solenoid and is accessible through the access panel in the base. If that is good, go to the troubleshooting section.
    Greg Thompson
    MN

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of David Chilson
    Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 8:09 AM
    Cc: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: 05 GS Endursa diesel generator shuts down with 1/4 tank of fuel

I've tried to start the generator at the generator but there's no indication of any sort of power. I've checked fuses and circuit breakers

Reply #23
    Yahoo Message Number: 11176
    I had to replace the positive and negative cables that run to my generator, the positive was badly corroded and the corrosion had traveled down the insulation. This would cause a random no start, where the generator would not respond from either switch.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ronjhallsr
    Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 3:43 AM
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: 05 GS Endursa diesel generator shuts down with 1/4 tank of fuel

Yes, they are on right side of generator. There is manual in the files section of this forum for the Onan 5.5k QD.
    Have you tried to start generator from it's own control panel next to the 2 circuit breakers?
    Best
    Ron Hall