Skip to main content
Topic: 2 seperate questions (Read 495 times) previous topic - next topic

2 seperate questions

Yahoo Message Number: 11663
These questions are in regard to a diesel duramax, 07 model, 6362.

1-There is a pyrometer installed in the exhause manifold that registers temp.
What is the critical temp for the engine? One said 1200, another 1400 and another 1100.

I have noticed the tempt rises when going up a long mountain grade but I don't know what the critical temp is.

2-There is a white pvc pipe extending thru the roof, on the passenger side, just behind the side door. It has a cap and seem to have a wire attached.

Can any one advise what this is??

Thanks,

Don

Re: 2 seperate questions

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 11675
Critical temperature is 1200°F. That's the max you want to hold for any extended amount of time. Seeing temperatures above that may happen for 30 seconds just before downshifting. When climbing a hill or mountain. Watch the temperature when it gets above 1200°F. Either slowdown or downshift. To keep it below 1200°F you may have to do both. Another item to watch is RPM's. Try to stay below 3000. This will help keep EGT's lower. Bad things happen when RPM's get above 3000 with fans and other components. I will let RPM's get above 3000 when using the exhaust brake on long down hill runs.
Best
Ron Hall

Re: 2 seperate questions

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 11679
I can't help with #1, but #2 is the wind sensor for the forward awning. The control panel is in the storage bay aft the entry door.
Jim