Skip to main content
Topic: 120 volt refigerator (Read 751 times) previous topic - next topic

120 volt refigerator

Yahoo Message Number: 13225

Dansocal dansocal@... [SuperCrvgroup]
To Chuck thethrillofspeed@... [SuperCrvgroup]

role="presentation"> > I upgraded my Thor 32B with 4 6 volt T105's and a good solar system, but I don't think it would even come close to running a 120v

refrigerator while dry camping.
Dan

That is exactly what I'm afraid of. I'm trying to decide if I could go that route or if refrigerator needs to be replaced with a 12 volt or a propane one (if I even can, the fridge is in the slide). How much solar did you go with?

Thank you,
Chuck

Re: 120 volt refigerator

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 13227
It was a 245 or 265 watt panel with a Blue Sky controller. It was the best upgrade I've done so far. We mostly dry camp and only use the generator to run the microwave or the vacuum cleaner.

Dan

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 13228
I would change the refrigerator to a propane/12v unit. I've been on the road since April 22nd and I'm still on my 2nd tank of propane. We haven't used much for heating, but we only use the propane setting on the refrigerator.

Dan

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 13229

The coaches I lookecd at with Res. Fridges had 4X batts for house AND 2X batts only for refridgerstor ststem. I am glad I got a double wide propane, 120 volt in my Embark.
Victor Burns
KI6IM
Jayco Embark TB390
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 13230
When I researched residential fridge for my motorhome. One of the things that kept popping up was the ability to shut off frost free feature when on inverter. Some models of Samsung, Summit and Danby have this feature. Even those with this feature use Generator Auto Start to keep batteries topped off daily. Seen some that had solar. The ones with best success had about 650 watts of solar and 6 large 6v batteries.
BTW, I got my fridge repaired with a new cooling unit instead of the residential. Because we were on the road when it died. We boondock very seldom. Using AGS works well for us. The 2 12 volt batteries will not run the furnace all night when temperatures are below freezing. Adding 2 more batteries to solve this problem.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 13232
I have the HOME fridge and really like it. The ice maker is great! I do NOT like the method of securing the doors since it is poorly designed. I added solar panels to help with the batteries (only 2) and intend to add more batteries soon. The Diesel coach has plenty of power and tows well. Jer in Texas

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 13234
I would change the refrigerator to a propane/120v unit. I've been on the road since April 22nd and I'm still on my 2nd tank of propane. We haven't used much for heating, but we only use the propane setting on the refrigerator.

(Previous post saying propane/12v was an error)

Dan

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 13252
If something is wrong it is the Furnace. A Suburban SF42 draws 11.5 amps. I can make it threw the night if temperature is dropped to 55°. But I would prefer 70°. When voltages gets to 12 volt AGS starts the generator. I think a 30K BTU furnace would work well in this size RV. It draws 6.5 amps.
Best
Ron Hall