Skip to main content
Topic: 15 min idle shutdown (Read 634 times) previous topic - next topic

15 min idle shutdown

Yahoo Message Number: 3668
I may posting a repeat message but, just in case:

A while back someone mentioned that their engine was now shutting down in 15 minutes after having the reacll done. While looking at something else in the owners manual I found that the idle shutdown is only activated if you have the emergency brake on.

Mine did not shut down and it just happened that I didn't have the brake set. I know, extended idle time is supposed to be a no no as well, but!

Dave Sparke

Re: 15 min idle shutdown

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 3669
Checked the manual for 2004 & 2005 models.

The automatic high idle feature will engage whenever you start your vehicle and the engine is below the preset operating temperature. This will help decrease engine warm-up time.

Idle speed will then return to normal under any of the following conditions:
•    The engine reaches the preset operating temperature or has been operating for at least 10 minutes.
•    The brake pedal is pressed.
•    The manual transmission clutch pedal is pressed or, the automatic transmission (if equipped) is shifted from NEUTRAL (N) or PARK (P).
•    The vehicle speed exceeds about 5 mph (8 km/h).
•    The throttle is pressed.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 3670
Dave

I did say that.
I have not tried to leave idle with no breaks though, that may be the reason. Not that we need to use it that way, but good to know
Thanks
Mo
Sent on the Now Network� from my Sprint® BlackBerry

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 06:19:57 -0800 (PST)
To:
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] 15 min idle shutdown

I may posting a repeat message but, just in case:

A while back someone mentioned that their engine was now shutting down in 15 minutes after having the reacll done. While looking at something else in the owners manual I found that the idle shutdown is only activated if you have the emergency brake on.

Mine did not shut down and it just happened that I didn't have the brake set. I know, extended idle time is supposed to be a no no as well, but!

Dave Sparke

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 3672
Had that happen to me Sat, that is the reason I was going through the manual. I happened to be in the cab when the idle kicked up and also the exhaust brake light came on.. Had me worried since we are leaving on a trip Thurs. In the 2008 it says it will happen if coolant temp drops too low when outside temp is low. When I first started it I had just unplugged the block heater so it happend later as it was idling.
Dave Sparke

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 3675
I just wanted owners of older model Kodiak chassis to know what their manual says. I have never had my engine drop off high idle unless I hit the brake pedal. Maybe I'm impatient.