Skip to main content
Topic: Towing Capacity (Read 544 times) previous topic - next topic

Towing Capacity

Yahoo Message Number: 4350
Hi, I am new to the group. What would be the towing capacity on the Kodiak C Class ? Does the 8.1 do a good job or is the D Max better?I would like to tow a 24ft car hauler 6000 to 8000lbs Any recommendations? Thanks in Advance
Mike Ounjian Ajax Ontario

Re: Towing Capacity

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4351
, "miketd1606"  wrote:
Hi, I am new to the group. What would be the towing capacity on the Kodiak C Class ? Does the 8.1 do a good job or is the D Max better?I would like to tow a 24ft car hauler 6000 to 8000lbs Any recommendations? Thanks in Advance

I pull a 28' enclosed with my 8.1 Kodiak. The trailer weighs about 9900lbs loaded with my car in it. I am right at the max (sometimes slightly over) the GCVR. If you are considering doing this I would recommend one of the shorter Kodiaks and stick to a single slide to keep the weight down. Mine is a Gulfstream 6316 32' single slide. It goes down the road and you don't even notice the trailer. It stops great and with the Kodiaks turning radius it manuvers pretty good too. If you don't already have the trailer I would recommend getting one with an extended tounge, you can really turn pretty short that way without getting the trailer into the coach. It could use a little more power but it would only be an issue if you were pulling a really steep grade for a long time.

Craig

Re: Towing Capacity

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 4353
You will:

A. Need to get one of the smallest Kodiak chassis coaches - The GCWR is 26,000 so in my 34H diesel I only have about 6500 spare pounds for that BUT I DONT HAVE 600-900#'s to spare for tongue weight or I would be over GVWR on the coach. Its a bit tricky....so while ini theory I have spare weight for GCWR I cannot tow a trailer. I could flat-tow a car as that add no tongue weight to the hitch - that weight is transferred to the coach chassis at about 10-15% of the trailer weight.

B. you might want to look at the gas models as from what I remember they were lighter to begin with with engine and then the diesel Genset all add up to more weight.

I think the new gassers do pretty darn well, have the same HP rating, slightly lower torque - but run at a higher RPM.

You need to carefully investigate both the GVWR and GCWR and REAR AXLE LOADS BEFORE making a decision.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, April 22, 2010 5:14:36 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Towing Capacity

towing capacity

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 4368
I also have a GulfStream 6316 with the 8.1. I pull a heavy steel open trailer with a Corvette on it. With tools and spares, we are at about 5500-6000 on the trailer, 22,500 combined. Have towed as far as Philly to Lincoln Nebraska, (pulling my Mini not the Vette, maybe 500lbs lighter) no problem. I have no weight distributing hitch, and barely notice the trailer except when pulling a long hill or accelerating from a stop. Our coach was 15,600 full fuel, propane and gear (almost no water on board). Power not really an issue, unless you feel the need to run 70mph everywhere you go. She likes the fuel though, 6.5-8mpg, towing or not. Purposely bought the smallest Kodiak based unit to keep the CCC and towing capacity as high as possible. With the super slide, still plenty big inside for us. Hope this helps.
Tony