Skip to main content
Topic: 08 Dutchmen 34H For Sale - NOT MINE!! (Read 1283 times) previous topic - next topic

08 Dutchmen 34H For Sale - NOT MINE!!

Yahoo Message Number: 5279

Seen in San Diego Craigslist. It was +- $85k

Re: 08 Dutchmen 34H For Sale - NOT MINE!!

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 5282
FYI:

LINK: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/rvs/1920682014.html

AD:

2008 Four Winds Dutchmen Model 34H Bunkhouse on a Kodiak chassis with the Duramax 330hp diesel and Allison transmission. Exhaust brake. Automatic levelers. Cherry wood interior. It has 2 slides one is the dinette/couch and the other is the master queen bed/bunk beds. It has the over head bed, hide-a-bed couch, bunk beds, sleeps 10. It has 3 TVs, dual A/Cs, 85 gal fresh water , 2200 watt inverter with remote switch, 50 amp service, back up camera, 10,000lb hitch, added 2 deep cycle 6v batteries to house and MaxAir II roof vent covers. Stored under RV cover. 12000mi.

COMMENTS: Not sure what to make of the 2200 watt inverter - that is a battery killer and put in after the fact I am sure with the remote control etc.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, August 29, 2010 11:35:30 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] 08 Dutchmen 34H For Sale - NOT MINE!!

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 5283
We own a 2007 Four Winds Chateau 34H with all of these features and love it! In fact, the reason we went with the Four Winds over the Jayco (at the time in 2007) was because it offered 2 A/C units and the 10,000 lb towing (we tow a Chev. Suburban), as well as with the bunks it only offered a corner shower unit (our boys are 6' tall--doesn't work!). Ours came with an option for a 600 watt inverter which we love. We can pull off and not start the generator and run the tv. Note: Huge mistake made when we tried to run the coffeepot off of the inverter, blew the fuse, had to dismantle the entire thing and replace with a hard-to-find 35 amp fuse--we now carry spares just in case, although haven't tried to use the coffeepot on it since. Biggest difference to this one....we have almost 30,000 miles on ours! J

Chris Rogers

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Victor Burns
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 4:56 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] 08 Dutchmen 34H For Sale - NOT MINE!!

FYI:

LINK: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/rvs/1920682014.html

AD:

2008 Four Winds Dutchmen Model 34H Bunkhouse on a Kodiak chassis with the Duramax 330hp diesel and Allison transmission. Exhaust brake. Automatic levelers. Cherry wood interior. It has 2 slides one is the dinette/couch and the other is the master queen bed/bunk beds. It has the over head bed, hide-a-bed couch, bunk beds, sleeps 10. It has 3 TVs, dual A/Cs, 85 gal fresh water , 2200 watt inverter with remote switch, 50 amp service, back up camera, 10,000lb hitch, added 2 deep cycle 6v batteries to house and MaxAir II roof vent covers. Stored under RV cover. 12000mi.

COMMENTS: Not sure what to make of the 2200 watt inverter - that is a battery killer and put in after the fact I am sure with the remote control etc.

center
Sent: Sun, August 29, 2010 11:35:30 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] 08 Dutchmen 34H For Sale - NOT MINE!!

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 5285
Chris, it would be very interesting to know your exact weights when you are fully loaded (GVWR) and with the Suburban attached (GCWR). Although you have a 10,000 hitch let me suggest that you can't tow anywhere near that without exceeding your GCWR. My recollection is that FW didn't put out a unit with 30,000 GCWR until a year or two later (Denny, is that right?). What chassis do you have - the 19,500 or 22,000? I have the 19,500 with 26,000 GCWR and for me to tow 10,000 lbs (we tow a 2007 Tahoe LTZ by the way) the MH would have to be empty and my wife, son and I would have to be filled with helium. :)

Don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 5286
Don Leslie wrote:

19,500 with 26,000 GCWR and for me to tow 10,000 lbs (we tow a 2007
Tahoe LTZ by the way) the MH would have to be empty and my wife, son and
I would have to be filled with helium. :)

We have the same unit and with all fluids full except the holding tanks,
and loaded for a trip I tipped the scales at exactly 18000 pounds. I tow
a Vue behind that weighs 4000 pounds.

I was pretty happy to know I have another 4000 pounds leeway. I suspect
when we went to Denver this year I had another 1000 lbs on board though
with the way my wife packed for all types of weather.....which we needed.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 5287

and my wife, son and I would have to be filled with helium.

That would be an interesting sight!

Dave Sparke

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 5288
Greg, you sure did will on weights. When we weighed a few years ago, we were at 19,240 and our Durango was another 5200 lbs. Although we usually tow our Saturn Vue and sometimes our sailboat (Hobie Getaway) but that weighs under 1000 lbs.

What I would really like to do would be to tow the Durango and the sailboat, but that would be about 75ft length and in New Mexico we can only go to 65 ft length.

David

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 5289
David wrote:

Greg, you sure did will on weights. When we weighed a few years ago, we
were at 19,240 and our Durango was another 5200 lbs.

Yours is a diesel though too isn't it? My gasser will be quite a bit
lighter just because of that.

What I would really like to do would be to tow the Durango and the
sailboat, but that would be about 75ft length and in New Mexico we can
only go to 65 ft length.

When I'm out west I'm always amazed at some of the things I see going
down the road. This year we saw a very large fifth wheel and a good size
boat behind that. I don't think I want to tow a triple like that. Figure
20 ft for the dually, then 40 for the 5er and another 20 or more for the
boat and it's a real train :-)

Take care,
Greg

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 5290
With your RV starting weight at 19,500lbs your water alone is 640lbs your diesel is roughly 750-800lbs your close to 22000lbs and have not even loaded your RV. Assuming you hit 22000lbs that leaves you only 4000lbs to play with for your towed vehicle.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 5291
Tim, the GVWR is not the starting weight - that is the maximum legal weight for the rating put on by the manufacturer (GM). Mine is a gasser. Some diesels had 19,500 GVWR (not many) but most are 22,000.

My UVW (unloaded vehicle weight) with a tank of gas is just over 16,000 lbs.

If a diesel with a GVWR of 22,000 is loaded close to capacity, then one only has 4,000 to spare for towing before reaching the GCWR (gross combined weight rating - mh+toad or trailer). Thus, what I'm saying is that towing a Suburban with a 22,000 lb GVWR Kodiak with a few people on board and packed with food, compressor, golf clubs and such good things will very likely mean the actual weight of MH+Toad is greater than 26,000. Several of our members have had that experience. That is the reason we did not by the Seneca - because we figured we could not tow our Tahoe and stay under the GCWR.

Don

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 5292
Don

Agreed, I was amazed how fast we climbed to over 26000lbs on our last trip in fact it was 27350lbs. Not much wiggle room for a large towed vehicle.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 5293
David wrote:

Greg, you sure did will on weights. When we weighed a few years ago, we
were at 19,240 and our Durango was another 5200 lbs.

Yours is a diesel though too isn't it? My gasser will be quite a bit
lighter just because of that.

Yes, it is a diesel.

What I would really like to do would be to tow the Durango and the
sailboat, but that would be about 75ft length and in New Mexico we can
only go to 65 ft length.

When I'm out west I'm always amazed at some of the things I see going
down the road. This year we saw a very large fifth wheel and a good size
boat behind that. I don't think I want to tow a triple like that. Figure
20 ft for the dually, then 40 for the 5er and another 20 or more for the
boat and it's a real train :-)

I've thought about the double deck trailers, but then we are over GCWR. So, maybe someday when we get something with more capacity.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 5294
As I recall the replacement for the Kodiak at Jayco is going to have "real' towing capacity of at least 10,000 lbs.

Line forms on the right. :)

Don

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 5297
and fire sale priced around $200,000.00

but theres no need to take a number because it's a small line. :):)

the other don

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 5299
Don, Paul Gardner indicated it could be $15k more than the last (current) Seneca line. Below the Embark of course.

Don

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 5300
I do look forward to seeing what price the new Seneca's come in at.

When we bought our Four Winds, there wasn't anything else with the bunk beds and a diesel and the towing capacity at the price. There were some gas class A's but they don't have the towing capacity for our Durango.

The Embark TB390 seems to have an MSRP of about $235k, but the Newmar Ventana 3942 is also the same price with more interior space since both are 39ft long. Yes, I know, you get 10k more towing capacity with the Embark.

So a Seneca 36FS (I think that is the one with bunk beds) with a 10k towing capacity would be nice upgrade from our 34h if the price is reasonable.

David

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 5301

I think most of the "older" FW's are 19,500 GVWR.... Denny

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 5302
Denny, as I recall FW didn't introduce the 30,000 lb GCWR option (which requires the Allison 2500) until sometime in 2008 or 2009. You may recall you asked me to check on it when I was at Jayco but when we went to FW they were closed down at the time.

Don

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 5303

Don,

I think you are correct.... and for those who are concerned about weight issues.... keep in mind the tire capacities are important. You may not break a spring, but if a tire blows, you can have substantial damage to the coach even if you can keep the coach on the road. Tire pressures are very important, as well as speed, with the additional weight. Control becomes an issue as well. If you have a shorter wheelbase, you will have steering control and stability problems that multiply with an overweight coach.

Finally, as a claims investigator, if I were to handle an accident involving an RV, the first thing I would do is weigh the coach. If your coach is overweight, your liability exposure greatly increases in an accident.

Denny

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 5310
Yes, but there are some other brands out there with "real" towing capacity for pretty darned good pricing (in the $140s) ...

Sent: Tue, August 31, 2010 6:42:43 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: 08 Dutchmen 34H For Sale - NOT MINE!!

and fire sale priced around $200,000.00

but theres no need to take a number because it's a small line. :):)

the other don

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 5313
RECAP - From my earlier post on my Dutchmen 34H

2008 Dutchmen 34H (Bunkhouse)

Fully loaded for a one week trip with usual excess 'stuff' food, drinks etc. Full fuel, full water, 3/4 propane etc. Wife and two kids, bikes on rack + me towing my 4X4 Geo Tracker:

I was slightly over gross (19,500) on the certified scale at 19,680 which is not bad since I cannot think of anything else I would ever try to put into the coach. I guess trailer tongue weight is out of the question now.... But fully loaded for a big trip and in essence at GVWR is good! (less than 1% over) and I almost never go out with full water - this was the first time ever!

Front 6,820
Rear 12,860
TOTAL 19,680
Tow Vehicle 2,520 [Geo Tracker 4X4]
GCW 22,200 and way under 26,000 GCWR

Keep in mind I was FLAT Towing a car which has zero tongue weight. If I had a trailer say at 5,000#'s the tongue weight would be another 500-1000 (call it 750#s) pounds to make it ride correctly which gets added to the GVWR - pressing it way over said limit.

The vehicle has a HITCH Rated at 10,000 #s which is complete bullshit and meaningless. What matters are the related vehicle capacities.

At 10,000 you should have 1500#s on the hitch for tongue weight - that gets you way over the vehicle limit.

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 5316
We love our 2008 Dutchmen as well. My budget was for a larger more complex coach but my #1 choice was the one I purchased, and for $65k price I paid brand new I ended up using only a small fraction of my budget. It's hard to find a coach @ home camping and at an rv park comfortable yet small enough to get into State Beches etc. At a real 34' is was my number 1 choice. I liked the fit and finish of the Seneca better, but the low ceilings and 38' true lenght of the bunkhouse model had me taking the Dutchmen hands down.

Sent: 30 August, 2010 5:46 AM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] 08 Dutchmen 34H For Sale - NOT MINE!!

We own a 2007 Four Winds Chateau 34H with all of these features and love it! In fact, the reason we went with the Four Winds over the Jayco (at the time in 2007) was because it offered 2 A/C units and the 10,000 lb towing (we tow a Chev. Suburban), as well as with the bunks it only offered a corner shower unit (our boys are 6' tall--doesn't work!). Ours came with an option for a 600 watt inverter which we love. We can pull off and not start the generator and run the tv. Note: Huge mistake made when we tried to run the coffeepot off of the inverter, blew the fuse, had to dismantle the entire thing and replace with a hard-to-find 35 amp fuse--we now carry spares just in case, although haven't tried to use the coffeepot on it since. Biggest difference to this one....we have almost 30,000 miles on ours! J

Chris Rogers

[The entire original message is not included]