Skip to main content
Topic: oil (Read 459 times) previous topic - next topic

oil

Yahoo Message Number: 8161
To all a merry Christmas and safe travels, we arrived safe in Texas with a small problem. The oil light came on and it took 2 quarts and was about 3/4 into operating area. I noticed when overdrive disconnect pushed smoke coming out of back and the same with the exhaust brake this was at night on i10 with lots of traffic, normally do not travel at night but was pushing hard to get here, during the day the smoke does not show up to be seen. As all who have met me know I have just found out which end of a hammer to hold, the oil was changed about 5,000 miles ago so should not be low? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Travel safe and enjoy

Re: oil

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8162
Most of my trips are relatively short I put on about 4,000 miles last year and that was much higher because we took a 1,000 mile trip to CA to visit the inlaws and do some driveway camping. I just do my oil change once a year at the start of my camping season. I've had my MH for 3 years now and I've found about 1/2 way through the summer each year my oil light has come on and I put two quarts in as well.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8163
Mine will use about a quart in 1700 miles. I don't worry about it as there are 14 more in the pan. Not to make light of the situation but we are putting a significant load down the road and working the engine pretty
hard. To use a little oil is not a bad thing in my opinion. If it gets obsessive then maybe a good looking over would be in the cards. I keep pretty good track of consumption and mine hasn't changed in the 35K that
I have on the clock so I call that normal. Start a log and track your usage to see if maybe a problem is starting to manifest itself. You didn't say whether or not you have a diesel or gas.
Denny

2006 Seneca 35GS Dmax. Ford Ranger toad.

To: "kodiakchassisclassC@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Friday, December 23, 2011 7:17 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] oil

To all a merry Christmas and safe travels, we arrived safe in Texas with a small problem. The oil light came on and it took 2 quarts and was about 3/4 into operating area. I noticed when overdrive disconnect pushed smoke coming out of back and the same with the exhaust brake this was at night on i10 with lots of traffic, normally do not travel at night but was pushing hard to get here, during the day the smoke does not show up to be seen. As all who have met me know I have just found out which end of a hammer to hold, the oil was changed about 5,000 miles ago so should not be low? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Travel safe and enjoy

oil

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8164
Sorry it is diesel, we have 36,000 on the rig and the oil is changed each year in Texas after about 6-8000 miles, swhen we left Osoyoos the oil was down a little from the full mark but nothing to worry about, this is the first time the oil light came on,

oil

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8165
Sorry it is a diesel, we have 36000 on the rig and this is the first time I have had to add oil, when we left Osoyoos the oil was down a bit below the full line but nothing to worry about, the oil was changed in Texas im March and we have 6-8000 miles on it

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8166
Did you change it or have it done? If somebody else did it did they use the right weight/type of oil. We just got back in November from a 4,500 mile trip and it was barely below the full mark. I change it about every 5,000 miles (dealer does it). I know its overkill but I have the fuel filter changed then as well.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of John Meredith
Sent: Friday, December 23, 2011 10:10 AM
To: kodiakchassisclassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] oil

Sorry it is a diesel, we have 36000 on the rig and this is the first time I have had to add oil, when we left Osoyoos the oil was down a bit below the full line but nothing to worry about, the oil was changed in Texas im March and we have 6-8000 miles on it

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8168
Glad you and Kathy made it to TX safely.
My engine used about a quart of oil every 2000 miles. Then I installed a EGR blocker plate. Does not use oil anymore and oil does not get black like it did before install.
Like has already been stated. Maybe wrong oil was put in. BTW hatch marks on dip stick indicates 2 quarts low.
Will give you a call when we get to the Valley next week.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8172
The low oil quantity light shouldn't come on with the level down only 2 quarts. On the side of the oil pan is a connector to the low oil quantity sensor. Remove and clean the connector. Apply some dielectric grease into the plug and reconnect. I had the light come on with a full reading on the stick. I haven't had a problem since I cleaned the plug.
Denny

oil

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8173
as per normal thanks for the response, we had ours changed at Bert Ogden in Mission Tx, according to the bill they used 15/40 and according to the book it is the correct one. I will register the usage with the dealer in Kelona and keep an eye on the consumption. Ron have a safe trip and please contact us when you get
here.

as always travael safe and enjoy.