Skip to main content
Topic: Rear Brakes Smoking (Read 403 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear Brakes Smoking

Yahoo Message Number: 6217
So when we purchased the moho the light on the center portion of the dash would light up and start beeping, and the brake lights did not work. The previous owner basically said "just turn the ignition off and on and the beeping will go away" - which it did.

I resolved both of the above issues be replacing the brake switch? that's attached to the brake pedal. No more beeping dash and my brake lights work.

One thing I noticed is that when you hit the brake pedal now there is an electrical noise, like a motor running? I'm guessing it's some sort of brake assist?...There is also a noise as if air's leaking out of something, again I'm assuming this is normal and part of the brake assist?

This is a GAS motor o no exhaust brake integration.

Today the brakes got abnormally hot and starting smoking, during normal driving...E-Brake not set.

Any ideas what would cause this?? It's as if too much pressure is being applied to the rear brakes...

Re: Rear Brakes Smoking

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 6218
Most common reason for brake switch failure is brake controller being wired to switch. Bulletin 66 posted in the files section of the forum has a fix for this. Wires mentioned in bulletin are located on drive shaft side of frame. They are about where passenger step is located.
All our chassis have Hydro Boost whether engine is diesel or gas. It works when engine is off or power steering has failed. The sounds you are hearing are normal.
Smoke from rear brakes is not normal. There have been reports of rear seal leaks that can cause oil getting on brake pads. This will cause the hard braking and smoking.
Best
Ron Hall

Re: Rear Brakes Smoking

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 6222
After observation and thinking about all the issues with the brakes I have come up with the following. Farmer Mike left us with an over full brake reservoir I think this is because the front calipers are new with new shoes (when you expand the calipers to receive the new shoes the fluid goes back into the tank), I think when we replaced the switch we started to receive air assist and more brake pressure, next I crawled under the coach and observed the metal tabs, one has broken off on the inside and the other is just barley off the rotor on the other and the outside shoes are not visible with the tires on also the inside side of the rotors are scored and grooved, it seems to me that the rear brake shoes are shot and the rotors need to be turned or replaced plus the fluid needs to flushed. Its just coincidental that the rear brakes and the repaired switch came to this while driving home from the DMV.

Bob Schlieder
Construction Superintendent
Phone (619) 244-4238
Office
C.J. Wiesner Construction Inc.
836 Camelot Parkway, El Cajon Ca. 92019
Phone (619)443-7716 Fax (619) 443-6474