Skip to main content
Topic: Winterizing (Read 629 times) previous topic - next topic

Winterizing

Yahoo Message Number: 7859
Ok, a quick info guide. This is the first time to winter our 2008 Seneca. Bypass the water heater and pump in through the city water? Will that do all the water lines. Know to add some windshield juice to the sinks and into the tanks. When we picked it up last year in Nov. the company had it winterized including the ice maker. Had no problem with taste after running water for a while, dumped the ice maker 4 times or so. Is there a pump system that can be used to inject the antifreeze? Info will be appreciated.
Next, was thinking of towing a Malibu but after reading the gentleman's woes at pulling 3100 lbs kind of worries me. Could something be mechanically wrong there? The Malibu will flat tow but am thinking about getting a dolly to avoid having to put a braking system on. Had a friend here with a 2006 Seneca towing a Equinox and pulled into our local Chevy dealer with melted hubs! New car but they could not do warranty work since it was due to the brake hook up and knew that GM would know it wasn't the car when they had to replace certain parts. (Dealership will bend the curve to help with warranty work.) Opinions here on flat tow + braking system versus dolly system will be appreciated. Have recommended this site several times to friends and they always email me saying how helpful it is.

Joey

Re: Winterizing

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 7860
I have a 2008 Jayco Seneca 36MS and we tow a 4500lb Honda odyssey with a Kar Kaddy. It has worked for us with no problems. The tow dolly has a taking system on the dolly. The total weight with the van and dolly is 5200lb.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 7861
, Joe Eveld  wrote:
Ok, a quick info guide. This is the first time to winter our 2008 Seneca. Bypass the water heater and pump in through the city water? Will that do all the water lines. Know to add some windshield juice to the sinks and into the tanks. When we picked it up last year in Nov. the company had it winterized including the ice maker. Had no problem with taste after running water for a while, dumped the ice maker 4 times or so. Is there a pump system that can be used to inject the antifreeze? Info will be appreciated.
Next, was thinking of towing a Malibu but after reading the gentleman's woes at pulling 3100 lbs kind of worries me. Could something be mechanically wrong there? The Malibu will flat tow but am thinking about getting a dolly to avoid having to put a braking system on. Had a friend here with a 2006 Seneca towing a Equinox and pulled into our local Chevy dealer with melted hubs! New car but they could not do warranty work since it was due to the brake hook up and knew that GM would know it wasn't the car when they had to replace certain parts. (Dealership will bend the curve to help with warranty work.) Opinions here on flat tow + braking system versus dolly system will be appreciated. Have recommended this site several times to friends and they always email me saying how helpful it is.

Joey

yes bypass the water tank and drain the water heater.

then winterize by screwing on a short piece of hose onto the hose bib, turn the valve in your sewer compartment to sanitize or it may be labeled country fill, stick the hose into the jug of rv antifreeze (the pink stuff not the windshield washer stuff, i know it will probably cost an extra 4 bucks but your worth it) turn on the pump the open up your taps one at a time until you see the pink stuff. dump a cup in each trap and call it good.

don

ps i have a dolly 4 sale. $1000.00

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 7862
, Joe Eveld  wrote:

Joey

theres some seneca owners manuals in the files section. they all have a section that explains how to winterize, heres your manual.

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0E2iThJ6UmuvWISbTTAY6--skLtGUFME4y7wZ_PAJkWIULs97r3iOlNfXObKFsWnGTm7mCSKeWqcKXkAoVs6t-jMb74O/Jayco%20Seneca/Jayco%20Seneca%20Owners%20Manuals/2008MotCMHSeneca.pdf

don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 7864
DO NOT FORGET TO DRAIN WATER HEATER.

I tow a Malibu Maxx on a Kar Kaddy SS tow dolly. A 2004 Maxx and now a 2007. Total miles is now over 50,000 miles of towing.
A Malibu on dolly will weight close to 4000lbs.
Russ Hill had his 35' Seneca weighed recently. He was below the limit with 1/4 water and his Jeep Liberty in tow. You should be OK with or without a dolly.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 7865
Don't forget the ice maker if you have one.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 7866
Winterize:

Joe. Not to burden the other folks In Basket ("not that attachment again!"). I will send to your email address direct my Winterize / RV AntiFreeze / Sanitize Step by Step.

I do NOT have an ice maker, so follow the advise and the manual there.

Very important to use the Non-toxic RV antifreeze. Usually inexpensive at WalMart, and very important to do the Sanitize step in the spring if you use the antifreeze.

I am a convert - and now use the low air pressure flush first to make sure as much water is out of the system as possible. Then I suck in the antifreeze (as Don described). I have diverged a bit from the Jayco Manual, but based on advise from this forum, and it is safer and seems works better.

For things I don't do that often, I am a strict follow the procedure guy, and this one you can go wrong on if you -
Leave the under sink filter in
forget the hot water heater,...
you get the idea.

On Towing:

Everyone has their preference. I am all about 4 wheels down. No alignment issues, works and is simple once you are set up. Another area where I am strict by the numbers and checklist, and check twice. We have all seen the youtube video where you can see the streaks behind the diesel pusher, and the smoke from the toad!

That said I am still breaking camp when Ron is on his dolly and heading out! So whatever works for you.

Take a minute at the CAT scale, and know you weight.

Kevin
Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 7867
I better clarify a couple of things.
I have a dolly because the car I owned at the time could not be towed 4 down. Bought the Malibu later. I have 4 different vehicles that I towed with the dolly with no no cost to change. If I had had a towable vehicle at the time I started to tow. I probably would be doing it 4 down.
I am on the way down the road before Kevin. Because I started at least a hour before he does.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 7870
Joe, I have been flat towing a 2011 Chevy Equinox behind my 2007 Seneca ZX throughout this year. Have not had any big issues with the motor home or the car. I use Blue Ox equipment, including the portable Patriot Brake. The brake system is easy to set up once you get familiar with it. It has a wireless remote that tells you how the brake is performing in your dingy. I have found that moving the car seat as low as it will go helps to keep the Patriot brake level and working well. I also ran 12 volt power from the MH trailer socket to the car's batery (with in-line fuse), so I have no worries about battery drain on the car.

For winterization I let everything drain out as much as possible by opening all the low point drains and cracking all the faucets. It takes a good 10-15 minutes before the water stops trickeling out. Then I close all valves and blow the system out with pressure regulated compressed air like one would for an underground sprinker system.......let the pump run air for a few seconds as well. Pour a generous amount of antifreeze in the drains and call it good.

Frank Bock

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 7920
, "don_mcl"  wrote:
, Joe Eveld  wrote:

Joey

yes bypass the water tank and drain the water heater.

then winterize by screwing on a short piece of hose onto the hose bib, turn the valve in your sewer compartment to sanitize or it may be labeled country fill, stick the hose into the jug of rv antifreeze (the pink stuff not the windshield washer stuff, i know it will probably cost an extra 4 bucks but your worth it) turn on the pump the open up your taps one at a time until you see the pink stuff. dump a cup in each trap and call it good.

don

ps i have a dolly 4 sale. $1000.00

Joey,

pss: maybe you don't have the owners manual but its all there.

owners manuals are posted in the files section heres yours,

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0E2iThJ6UmuvWISbTTAY6--skLtGUFME4y7wZ_PAJkWIULs97r3iOlNfXObKFsWnGTm7mCSKeWqcKXkAoVs6t-jMb74O/Jayco%20Seneca/Jayco%20Seneca%20Owners%20Manuals/2008MotCMHSeneca.pdf

don