Skip to main content
Topic: Greyhawk 32 and 33 owners - do you have a driveshaft "hum" or "whine (Read 580 times) previous topic - next topic

Greyhawk 32 and 33 owners - do you have a driveshaft "hum" or "whine

Yahoo Message Number: 918
We are at the KOA in Indianapolis this evening.

Yesterday we started hearing a HUM or WHINE from the drive train. Sitting in the driver's seat makes it difficult to determine exactly where it is coming from - other than it seemed to be behind me. DW made lunch today while we were in motion and sitting at the dinette she said it sounded like it was beneath and behind here.

So, I'm wondering - DRIVESHAFT or REAR END? Of could it be the exhaust (I rather doubt it but.................)?

This sound becomes very noticeable over 50 mph and is at its worst about 60 mph. We drove most of the trip at 60 and even down to 55 (about 7.5 mpg towing the Tahoe). I decided to up the speed to 65 and a bit more. It seemed to sound like the whine faded but that could simply have been the added wind noise drowing out the whine.

Now, when you cancel cruise or take your foot off the gas so that you are effectively coasting it immediately disappears?

As we are headed to the Jayco factory in the morning I dearly love to know if any other Kodiak Greyhawk owners have experienced this sound in their units.

The drive shaft has 4 u-joints instead of 3 in the Kodiak with the 213.5 wheelbase. The reason for the driveshaft having 3 sections instead of 2 as in the GM manual is, I assume, the wheelbase extension. Of course, if I go to a Chev MDT that handles Kodiak (none in Canada so will have to go to a GMC MDT that handles Top Kick) they will no doubt take one look and say no warranty since it is a chassis extension.

I'm going to report this to Jayco tomorrow but really don't know what reaction to expect. I can visualize someone going out for a test drive and saying "nothing unusual there" and then after the 2 year warranty is up the drive train falls out.

So, if any 32SS or 33DS owners read this can you let me know if you are experiencing something similar. We are leaving here about 9 AM tomorrow and unless Jayco provides wireless (I really doubt that it, but Freightliner at Gaffney has it now for owners staying overnight) I really would love feedback ASAP.

Thanks

Don

Brantford Ontario & Palmetto Florida (in the winter)
2007 Jayco Greyhawk 32SS (parked next to our Chariot Eagle 42 ft park model in Florida)
Toad - 2007 Tahoe LTZ
Blue Ox base plates, tow bar and rear light bar (fits in Tahoe receiver)
Brake Buddy

Prior hardware
06 HR Ambassador 40PLQ Cummins ISC 330/950 9/05-5/07
04 Winnie Journey 39W CAT C7 330/860 7/04-9/05
00 Triple E Commander 34 ft F53 V10 5/03-5/04
Toad 04 Colorado Z71 quad cab 04 to 06 box cap and bedroller

Re: Greyhawk 32 and 33 owners - do you have a driveshaft "hum" or "w

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 923
Don
I must be having one of those days. I probably will not be much help.
As soon I saw your post my thought went to your greasing your MH
chassis. That didn't cause the problem did it. LOL.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 925
Can't imagine why. I only pumped some high grade gease into the fittings. Didn't touch the rear end at all. In addtion, it didn't start his problem (we don't think) until about 600 miles later. We are wondering if it was there from the start and we just didn't hear it because we always had the XM radio on - which we took back home with us at Xmas and forgot to bring the mounts back so couldn't use it.

Don

On 20-Apr-08, at 7:02 PM, Ron Hall wrote:

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 926
Don, Good luck with your visit with Jayco. Trust they'll get everything
on your list handled properly. Guess you will be meeting with Les
Carriveau tomorrow. Sure glad you passed his name along to me because
he's been great for getting my local dealer on the ball. In fact our
33DS is back at the dealer this week for some rework that was pushed
through by Les. Keep us posted on how your Jayco visit progresses. Bill