Skip to main content
Topic: Koni FSD motorhome shocks and a Davis Tru-Track... (Read 633 times) previous topic - next topic

Koni FSD motorhome shocks and a Davis Tru-Track...

Yahoo Message Number: 770

David,

If you don't mind sharing the information, what is your motorhome make/model and do you know the wheelbase? You might want to try to redistribute your cargo... sounds like the front end is unloading a bit with the light steering. I have the same problem towing a Tahoe, or with the wind when it is raining. Feels like I'm skating on ice.

Denny

Re: Koni FSD motorhome shocks and a Davis Tru-Track...

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 771
Denny,

I am the one with the Four Winds 34h with the 241" wheelbase. So, you
have seen my weights before on RV.net. It is about 6800lbs at the
front, so it close to max.

For me a lot of the problem is just that the power steering is
overboosted and lacks any self-centering. Just like Cadillacs and
other large American cars of the '80s.

With the ruts and winds I can see the Durango sway left and right.
some caused by the motorhome, but I think the Durango initiated it
some too. Nothing scary or dangerous, just annoying. The less
steering I did the better, but it's hard when I am used to driving a BMW.

Also, I haven't mentioned it before. Even though we don't have the
problems with our Four Winds that you have had. I appreciate the
research that you have done and I check over the things that you have
noticed. We have 1 broken drawer latch in the wardrobe. The border
wallpaper was loose in the bathroom. It just pulled off. And a loose
ground to the tail lights.

I did check our tire labels. We have Goodyear R670's 225/70 R19.5.
And labels do specify 95lbs pressure. Which is what it had from the
dealers.

David

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 773

Thanks David.... guess my "almost" 65 year old mind is starting too slip...and thanks for your comments about my blog.

I am in the process of creating a new concept for the Internet RV community... a Court of Appeals where anyone with an RV issue can file a complaint online, and place their "evidence" into an Evidence Room blog that is secure from viewing by the public. The manufacturer is then invited to resolve the issue with the plaintiff and the evidence room will remain private but made available to the manufacturer for a decision.

If the manufacturer refuses to act to resolve the plaintiff's issue, the evidence room will then be opened to the public and the manufacturer will be invited to participate to defend their position at trial. A jury of forum members will then be selected by the moderator. After the jury reaches a decision, the manufacturer will then be asked to stand by the jury's decision. If the manufacturer is found "not guilty," the issue is closed; if found "guilty," and the manufacturer still refuses to resolve the issue, they will be sending a message to the public that they will not stand behind their product. Pretty farfetched, isn't it?

The whole purpose of this concept is to encourage the manufacturer to improve upon not only the quality, but also on the design and safety of their product.

I wonder what kind of response I would get if I posted this idea on RV.net or iRV2 ...

Denny

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 776
For several years I've felt that the RV Industry is in need of an Ombudsperson. The manufacturers and dealers really should establish such an operation without having to be prodded. Given that will never happen, it will be very interesting to see how they react to your new "Court."

I often get the feeling that the RV manufacturers and dealers do not (or have been very slow to) recognize the power of the internet and how it can change their businesses and the way they are perceived by the public - their potential customer base. Far too many are ignoring reality.

When we had our Journey with a CAT C7 I started participating in a Yahoo Cat forum. It provided VERY good information. That year I attended the Tampa RV show and when at the CAT booth (they had a cutaway of the C7 and it was extremely interesting and helpful) I suggested that it would be useful if they had a participant on this forum. Well, knock me down - they said one of their staff monitored it and participated. So, when I got home I "smoked" out the guy and frankly that was for the best since everyone then knew who to direct questions to and he was extremely helpful. As an example, one hears a complaint about the CAT engines needing the valves adjusted about the time of the first oil change. Well, we had planned to have the value adjustment done when we visited the Freightliner factory for annual service a few months later. The tech staff at the CAT booth said NO NO NO - much too early (yet, you heard first oil change repeated and repeated on the RV forums). You only have to have it by the fourth oil change or 40 months. CAT prepared a special document addressed to RV maintenance - which they view as significantly different than "over the road" truck maintenance. It clarified a lot of items for RV owners.

Along that line, those of us with the 8.1 litre Vortec have, IMO, a real beef with GM. We got a 2 year warranty while the same engine (in a slightly higher state of tune) in the Class A Workhorse chassis has a 5 (FIVE) year warranty. GM supplies both engines and when Workhorse bumped the warranty they said it was because GM put the power train warranty up to five years on all of its vehicles. Well, GM did not bump medium duty trucks. Yet, we lug a lot less weight around with our 8.1 engines than Class A owners do. I'd sure love to see someone from GM defend this policy.

D

ps. Still up to our armpits. Our daughter-in-law has had some real problems after the birth of our grand daughter. The baby is coming along great. My son is beat. Now, we have two offers coming in on our home tomorrow. When it rains it pours. Well, that should be - when it snows it really snows (we got 12 inches on the weekend). And we are getting all of it from the US. :(

On 10-Mar-08, at 12:45 PM,

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 782
Hooah go for it! We sure need a wakeup call for the industry. I did
the almost same approach with civilian contractors working for the
government that were not in accordance with the contract. Believe me
it got their attention as I threatened to share this with the rest of
the Army. I got outstanding results and a new contract manager in
the process! Thanks Dane